Have a 18HP Chemtex Panther anyone know about them goin on my 3rd thermostat

rickyrobbie22

Dec 24, 2010
CA
Real Name
Robert Rogers
Business Location
United States
I have a 18 Hp Chemtex Panther I bought new I've had for 3 years now with only 385 hours. Goin on my third thermostat and already had to replace the pump for the little water box. When I bought it it immideatley had problems. Machine runs great when it works. Want to know if anyone knows anything about these machines so I can upgrade the parts to make it better so it doesent have stupid problems. Like everyone seas there customer service is a joke. Asked them if they could recomened some one who works on them in los Angeles area and they had no idea. Have Interkink service it but kinda looking for a second opinion cause like I said it plays games.

Reactions: Windy City Steam

dgardner

Jan 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Real Name
Dan Gardner
With your hours and years, the average use works out to only about 10 hours a month. Does the machine sit for long periods without use? That's hard on any machine, upgraded parts or not.

rickyrobbie22

Dec 24, 2010
CA
Real Name
Robert Rogers
Business Location
United States
I use it about 2 to 4 times a week smaller jobs mainly so I gets ran usually every week. Just do this part time so that's why the hours are low.

kelly m

Nov 30, 2009
Utah
Real Name
Kelly McCloy
Business Location
United States
murphy switch gauge for a thermostat?
if that is the case then you have the chem tex problem....the murphy switch gauge bulb that is exposed to system pressure...is only good to 300 psi....lol... there is a fix however...hard to write it all down

rickyrobbie22

Dec 24, 2010
CA
Real Name
Robert Rogers
Business Location
United States
I have 750 hours on the machine now. I've figured out how to work with it more and am satisfied but still is inconsistent for the temp on the thermostat. If anyone knows how to fix that I'd be good. Any ideas cause replacing the thermostat alone just doesn't do it. Maybe it's the Murphy's law switch the fella in the last post was talking about. I'd like to know the fix if you read this. Thanks to anyone that replies

Nick N

May 27, 2008
Texas
www.truckmountforums.com
You can try a thermo well, that can protect the switch gauge , the problem is it is a mechanical gauge and it can break if the temp hits too high, - does Chemtex still use the murphy gauge to shut down the machine if it gets too hot? Does it open a solenoid to dump water? The Machine is not bad ,call me sometime and I might be able to help u, I used a 20hp panther for years.

vnmineo

Dec 2, 2012
Real Name
vin mineo
Business Location
United States
I know on mine Nick if it hits the set temp on the murphy gauge it starts dumping into the waste tank and if it still continues to rise and hits 280* then it will shut down...... Im not 100% but I think all the murphy gauge does is open the dema valve and then there is another sensor if it hits 280* it will kill the tm...

Reactions: ronman

Mike C

Dec 15, 2010
tx
Real Name
Mike Churchill
Business Location
United States
I have a 18 Hp Chemtex Panther I bought new I've had for 3 years now with only 385 hours. Goin on my third thermostat and already had to replace the pump for the little water box. When I bought it it immideatley had problems. Machine runs great when it works. Want to know if anyone knows anything about these machines so I can upgrade the parts to make it better so it doesent have stupid problems. Like everyone seas there customer service is a joke. Asked them if they could recomened some one who works on them in los Angeles area and they had no idea. Have Interkink service it but kinda looking for a second opinion cause like I said it plays games.
Hi Ricky

Mike C here 832-216-7027 is my # been doing phone support for longer then I care to admit.
Call any time you have a problem 24-7, I have the most knowledge on Chemtex machine. I also know Prochem, Hydromaster and many others having been named service tech of the year in the southern district many years in a row by the top mfg's.

First the modern Panther line has no murphy gauge, (black stallion and a few powermax's do use them, all use thermo wells)

Second thermostats on all machines will go out if overheated,

Third having dealt with this type of systems for about 20 year, I promise you that 99% of the time the over heating is caused by a clog in the system.
Most of these units CT,PC and HM have to have water moving at all times , even if you stop using water there is a spray jet or a small hole drilled into a setscrew that can get clogged (always with a filer that needs cleaning regularly to prevent this).

When this clog occurs water stops going by thermostat "probe or sensor" if the wand is not being used. Water then sits in heat exchanger getting super heated. When the wand is next triggered the superheated water hits the thermostat sensor and often damages it. Sometime the damage happens first overheating, sometime it can happen many times before damage, depending on how hot the water gets.

I'm the last to place blame, but the first to tell ya if you are missing something....

CT panther has a spray jet in the water box that keeps water circulating , inside that Jet is a filter and if that jet/filter assy gets clogged kiss the thermostat goodbye soon.
Spray Jet must be a x001 and should be Stainless because it sprays at all times and will wear quickly, If it wears out or a larger jet is put there it will also cause overheating.
When cleaning filter/jet while spray jet is out, machine should be started to clean hose leading to spray jet so it doesn't get clogged again right away.

Also when overheating occurs bypass solenoid may get trash in it, requiring cleaning and again start machine while disassembled to clean hose leading to solenoid.

Finally the same cleaning need to take place on spray jet in waste tank if you have one. (machines sold with fresh water tank may not have one in waste tank)

In general if a thermostat goes out on most any machine, look for clogged filter in recirculation system, thermostats are not cheap keep the filters clean! It is very rare to have a thermostat go out for any other reason.

Call anytime and I will help you trace down the problem.

Hope this helps

Mike

Mike C

Dec 15, 2010
tx
Real Name
Mike Churchill
Business Location
United States
Any of you other Men/ Ladies that have problems feel free to call, Chemtex will give you my # if you can't find this post, keep it on your truck I maybe able to get ya thru a Job when in a pinch and are lost..

Mike

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
Any of you other Men/ Ladies that have problems feel free to call, Chemtex will give you my # if you can't find this post, keep it on your truck I maybe able to get ya thru a Job when in a pinch and are lost..

Mike
What do you do Mike?
Are you a carpet cleaner?
Nice of you to offer, if I decide to rebuild my fire damaged Panther, I may call you. lol

powerwashcarpetcleaning

Jul 17, 2012
Palmdale, CA
Real Name
Walter Arauz

Mike
Wow dont find many of you around that really help from the heart.

Mike C

Dec 15, 2010
tx
Real Name
Mike Churchill
Business Location
United States
Yes of course I will help, anyone , not just CT units.
I no longer turn wrenches, after being smashed by a drunk driver I had to quit and go into retirement. I started out building and repairing Landa power washers as a teen for a neighbor that was a disturber. When he shut down I went to the Prochem dealer and learned those units, from there to Chem-tex building units. After many years I switched over to a Bridgepoint / Hydromaster dealer 5-6 years. Went back to Chem-tex and helped redesign the systems to the current panther. Switched over to phone service for them which opened up my time and was much easier on my body (it is Hot down here and very hard on a tech in a van working on hot unit).
Had the opportunity to start adjusting insurance CAT claims and rode that to the end while still doing phone service.

Over the years I did some cleaning at night for a local cleaner , mostly Chinese restaurants (better have a good hot unit and some good chemicals).

My knowledge of the Newer units by mfg's not local is not up to date. But every place I ever worked we took in all repairs of all brands, so if there is one in houston I most likely touched it at some point.

Now I'm still friends with the people at Chem-tex and was there yesterday talking trash ;) .

I'm a single father, my oldest son just finished High school , my younger son has asperger syndrome (doing very good) and is 15 , so I take care of him and do to my medical problems don't work and have time to help out when I can..

Chem-Tex are good people, I've had the owner take me to his personal doctor and offer to pay. He calls regularly and checks on me when he hasn't heard from me in a week or two..
I've seen them do in house financing and get burned, yet still does it on occasion to help out people.
I'm not here to defend them or anyone else just letting you know what I see often from CT.

Each one of you in business have had bad customers, it happens. So when you hear someone bashing a machine keep that in mind, that person may have been a bad customer unwilling to work well with the dealer.

Also I'm no writer LOL please excuse the rambling, I don't come here often, you have my number and I will take your calls anytime.

As far as Ben goes I don't know him well, have heard trash talked about him , I can't say if it was warranted. I think he wants to do a good job and have his place in the industry and wish him well. If Ben calls I'll talk with him same as any of you. I've turned wrenches on his units over the years and CT still works on them and others. I'd like to see his current line up because I dig seeing what is happening in the machine design world.

Any way thanks again to all the cleaners, I still talk with cleaners from around the world daily and will keep doing it as long as the phone rings and my health allows..

You guys be careful out there, work smart please, throwing a wand all day is hard work and I've seen many sore backs..

Out
Mike

Mike C

Dec 15, 2010
tx
Real Name
Mike Churchill
Business Location
United States
What do you do Mike?
Are you a carpet cleaner?
Nice of you to offer, if I decide to rebuild my fire damaged Panther, I may call you. lol
Ron one of the best features of the CT is the simplicity I can talk you through a complete rewire over the phone from memory. Give me call when your ready to get her going

Mike

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
Ron one of the best features of the CT is the simplicity I can talk you through a complete rewire over the phone from memory. Give me call when your ready to get her going

Mike
I totally agree, any tm I get will need to be simple, or I won't get it.
I am handy but no master mechanic, and wrenching on a hot greasy machine is not something I relish, but I do like being able to do repairs on the jobsite myself.
I had 2 porties on a 17k sq ft job this past weekend, with 3 helpers.
Both machines went down!
At the same time!! hahaha
The one machine went down twice in the same day!
I lost no more than a few hours of productivity time, and we still finished the job ahead of schedule because I was able to do the repairs myself.
The wiring and bypass plumbing and temp overheat controls were the things that concerned me most because I don't understand how they are set up and how they operate nor will I recognize what they even look like.
No service manuals out there to refer to.
I had the motor off my machine to change the belts before it burned up, and did some service to it, like fluid changes and lube.
There might be a niche there for you if you wanted to make a few bucks doing service videos for those machines.

Mike C

Dec 15, 2010
tx
Real Name
Mike Churchill
Business Location
United States
I can get you through any repairs over the phone providing your major components ie motor,blower and pump are in working order. There are some manuals and diagrams that I could dig up when time comes. LOL I'm too old and ugly to be doing videos ...

I know some of these systems appear complicated to a non mechanic, but I've had people in the past that didn't know how to check oil and over time they learn the machine and never spend a dime in a service center.

I'm not going to be able to have you rebuilding a motor over the phone, but we can trace down any problem and in most cases you'll be able to get a new part install it and go make money. Keep my number and when the time comes I'll get ya thru it.

Nothing worst then having to leave a job due to broken equipment, even when a correct repair can't be made I can often work a way to finish the job to help save face.

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
I agree, and as far as rebuilding, I'm sure there is a lot of info out there on rebuilding motors pumps and blowers, if someone is so inclined.
I rebuilt both of my Intec pumps from you tube videos and the instructions from Intec.

It's the wiring, plumbing, controls and safeties that create the most problems, and the majority of these problems are easily fixed in the field if one has the understanding of how the systems are put together and what the components are and how they function.
That's where contact with someone like you is invaluable.

Mike C

Dec 15, 2010
tx
Real Name
Mike Churchill
Business Location
United States
I can get many through a pump problem on the wet end , but it takes a pretty good mechanic to replace a broken rod or remove crank and rods to replace seals and stuff like that is a little advanced for your avg cleaner. And usually can get thru minor motor repairs, key switch , coils, solenoids, starters maybe a rocker arms and maybe head gaskets but that would be pushing it. As far as blower , not much there goes wrong and I wouldn't want anyone other than a good mechanic tearing into one, But I've seen lobes coated with crud and frozen, most cleaners could remove blower cap a end soak it, clean it thru ports and get it back up and running.
Like Ron said the tricky part is trouble shooting, trying to figure out sensors or pressure problem. For instances on water pressure wither its the regulator or pump maybe clog or steaming due to over heat , stuff like that I can often help. And sometimes not , but you give me a cleaner ready to try and we'll get to the bottom of it most of the time...

Reactions: vnmineo