Has being on TMF made you a more well rounded cleaner? If so, how?

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I was just thinking about this so I'll go first. My answer to that question is a definite YES! When I started out in 1987 I knew very little and had very little available to me. It was TOUGH! I wished I could've had some of the input I've gotten on here way back when, but I didn't even know a lot of the stuff that existed then and some of the stuff today simply didn't exist at all. I HWE'd EVERYTHING! That's Hot Water Extraction for some reading this that don't know the lingo yet. I HWE'd carpet, rugs, upholstery, and some auto's. Still not a big fan of doing auto's, but at least I know better ways of doing them thanks to some of you guys. :) Btw, I had at least a few very close calls because of my ignorance and knowing only one way of doing things.

My take off from things I've learned is that if you know how to do one way very well MAYBE you can make it and even do well if you're a smart businessman and kinda lucky too! Knowing 2 or 3 ways or even more INCREASES your chances of doing a great job, decreases your LIABILITY (that's a big one folks) and can make some jobs both faster and physically easier on the old, or young for that matter, body.

If I were to put one tip above all others I've gotten I have to give a big shout out to @OldCarpetVet teaching me the fine art of using TOWELS. Something so simple, but ever so valuable. Also @Todd the Cleaner for help with hard surfaces, something I never touched for over 25 years! There are others, but these 2 stand out in my mind right now. So, thanks for the help.

My own tip that for me has made a big difference is actually a very old one. Might even be thousands of years old, but just as useful today as when whoever figured it out. That tip is using a sea sponge. Get one and learn how to use it. It might just save your behind and your back! I've used mine on carpets, cars, area rugs, fine upholstery, and there are other things they can be useful on that will be BETTER than HWE or will work in conjuction with HWE or other methods. Great for use with fine upholstery shampoos and some encaps. You will not likely ever get a better tip from me than this one. Btw, Interlink has a synthetic sponge that I'm trying out that appears to work just as well as the natural sponge, but seems holds up over time much better and clean up better as well. I still like the natural sea sponge, but they do not hold up well over time.
https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=AU28

So, anything goes here. How has being on this forum helped you?

Last edited:

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I’m a big yes for sure. I’m on a big job right now, a 4000 sq ft house that’s 100% tile and grout plus tile countertops and showers. We’ve been here 4 hours already, we have about one more hour to go.

I’ll respond more to this thread when I get home.

5E7DCA2E-92AD-4FE5-A919-4C860303881F.jpeg

Allred

Dec 10, 2017
Real Name
Erich Allred
I have been lurking on here since @Todd the Cleaner started out on his own. I followed his and others stories and seen the support everybody gave him. This forum opened up the world of carpet for me. I was doing anything cleaning related that I thought I could make a buck at. Didn't take long to see that there was more money and easier work in carpets than scrubbing kitchen cabinets. This forum opened up dialog about chemicals, what worked, what was safe, how to use it, how not to. I have been able to build my own ETM that is miles ahead from the portable I started from. I have gained knowledge through excessive use of the search button. I have come to enjoy the various characters that have been on here over the years and have deep respect for many of them. The best part of the forum is the ability that I have seen others use it for. When they have a problem that they don't know what to do with, They ask and people lend a hand, their knowledge, and their friendship. To have that happen, it means that they trust the other members to treat them kindly, and not jump their crap for being stupid. That is rare to find a place online where that is possible. That is as much of a shout-out as I can give to everyone that has been their to help another person out there and to this forum for providing the space for it to happen.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I have been lurking on here since @Todd the Cleaner started out on his own. I followed his and others stories and seen the support everybody gave him. This forum opened up the world of carpet for me. I was doing anything cleaning related that I thought I could make a buck at. Didn't take long to see that there was more money and easier work in carpets than scrubbing kitchen cabinets. This forum opened up dialog about chemicals, what worked, what was safe, how to use it, how not to. I have been able to build my own ETM that is miles ahead from the portable I started from. I have gained knowledge through excessive use of the search button. I have come to enjoy the various characters that have been on here over the years and have deep respect for many of them. The best part of the forum is the ability that I have seen others use it for. When they have a problem that they don't know what to do with, They ask and people lend a hand, their knowledge, and their friendship. To have that happen, it means that they trust the other members to treat them kindly, and not jump their crap for being stupid. That is rare to find a place online where that is possible. That is as much of a shout-out as I can give to everyone that has been their to help another person out there and to this forum for providing the space for it to happen.
I went into carpet cleaning full time back in 1987 because my father had a stroke. I quit my job in Indiana and moved home. My only experience at the time with cleaning was stripping, waxing, and buffing floors as well as maintaining the carpets in a big 5 story medical building. I bought my first machine which was a small Castex Challenger 900 portable. 1 vac motor and a 100 psi pump. I also bought a Hild 175 rpm, but really didn't know how to use it with carpets. Boy oh boy I wished I had known how to use it! Would have made a BIG difference back in the day! If today you can only afford a weak, underpowered portable, a 175 can make a big difference. I decided early on stripping and waxing was not my cup of tea so I ignored the hard floor cleaning and knew nothing about maintaining tiles or stone floors for many years. Again, BIG, HUGE, COLOSSAL, MISTAKE. At least for me it certainly was.

Btw, virtually ALL of those close calls I mentioned above were with trying to HWE all kinds of upholstery. Just not really a great idea.

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
Very interesting and informative thread, Randy. (y)

I'm not so sure that I can say I became a more well rounded cleaner because of this forum as I was already in the industry for about 30 years when TMF was born, but what I can attest to is that I have met some of the nicest, greatest, most honest, most helpful, humble and business savvy people here. And that would never have happened without the birth of TMF.

If nothing else, this place has become sort of a second home for me. Well....third home. Sorry.:p I look forward to coming here, seeing what new topics there are and who posted what, to the old ones. I have no doubt in my mind that I would click with many of you here should we ever get together in real life.
(This is cue for someone to start an inaugural reunion)
I have much respect for so many here who have decided to help their fellow carpet cleaning brother/sister. I could name names, but I think you know who you are. So THANK YOU!

And thank you, Randy for those kind words. I remember the day we spoke on the phone some time back. How did those drapes come out by the way?

One last thing....Thank You, Rob for creating this cRaZy place.
I will never forget what you said over a year ago. Your words, but more importantly, your ACTIONS stuck with me ever since and you proved to be Spot On with your courage to do so and not give a hoot who liked it. And the results speak for themselves. I'd like to share that little, but oh so powerful quote that you actually put into action with every one here.

"A Year Without Fear".

I need not say any more.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Very interesting and informative thread, Randy. (y)

I'm not so sure that I can say I became a more well rounded cleaner because of this forum as I was already in the industry for about 30 years when TMF was born, but what I can attest to is that I have met some of the nicest, greatest, most honest, most helpful, humble and business savvy people here. And that would never have happened .

And thank you, Randy for those kind words. I remember the day we spoke on the phone some time back. How did those drapes come out by the way?

The interesting thing about those massive cotton drapes I was asked to clean by a local school. There were problems with the job that I felt too uncomfortable with. In other words, I felt it was more than I could chew and wound up walking away. However, the info I learned from you because of that experience has been helpful on numbers of jobs since and will continue to help the rest of my career. That drapery job was certainly NOT FOR BEGINNERS!!! Sometimes you gotta know your limitations! :D

Btw, about the "Year w/o fear" statement. Fear is most often caused by lack of knowledge. So the more knowledge you can get on here the better. I need the wisdom to apply that knowledge and sometimes it's on the spur of the moment! You fear what you don't understand.

Last edited:

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
The interesting thing about those massive cotton drapes I was asked to clean by a local school. There were problems with the job that I felt too uncomfortable with. In other words, I felt it was more than I could chew and wound up walking away. However, the info I learned from you because of that experience has been helpful on numbers of jobs since and will continue to help the rest of my career. That drapery job was certainly NOT FOR BEGINNERS!!! Sometimes you gotta know your limitations! :D

Btw, about the "Year w/o fear" statement. Fear is most often caused by lack of knowledge. So the more knowledge you can get on here the better. I need the wisdom to apply that knowledge and sometimes it's on the spur of the moment! You fear what you don't understand.

That's right! I remember now. And there is no shame in turning down a job that you don't feel comfortable with. Better than doing it and then regretting it.

I remember I was giving a water damage restoration seminar to the largest, independent restoration company (at the time) in Norwalk, Ct. and there was this one guy that I will never forget....Andrew Frye (Frye Dog). He had more questions than anyone I had ever met. And that's a good thing. He was very eager to learn...EVERYTHING. He used to call me up once, twice, three times a week. I didn't mind, but this one time he was asking me about a particular fabric cleaning job that he wanted to take on and I knew he wasn't capable of doing yet and I remember telling him...."Andrew....You Can't Be All Things To All People. Sometimes You Have To Say No."
In other words he needed to learn first. So you did the right thing.

And hey....You're welcome my friend. I've learned from you too and don't you forget it. (y)

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
I learned pretty much everything I know from the people I chatted to or met in person. They all came from here. Some are still here, unfortunately most of them have moved on. But I will forever be thankful to all the fellows who took the time to teach this rookie.

Last edited:

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I feel like TMF is like an inexhaustible industry library. It reminds me of the worlds largest Library of Congress. Over the decade I’ve learned more than I could imagine. And met tons great and not so great cleaners and persons. Can’t get along with everyone but for the most part I’ve had mutual respect for their knowledge and care for the cleaning industry. I feel like a walking encyclopedia. For that I am very grateful.

With the advent of social media, the TMF forum has became less social but still just as visited by cleaners worldwide searching for answers to their questions. On the other hand our Facebook group has grown to almost 15k members and 1000+ posts a day. Good for fast answers and the young generation. For me, the forum is just the right speed and esp since all the crap posting is gone. Now it’s like a peaceful library. TMF Library of Cleaning Congress.

5c6cf201ae287b57f9caa97104e274f8.jpg

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
You never stop learning and the more I share my past experiences the more I gain personally, any instructor in this business will agree with that. I communicate weekly with 4 up and coming cleaners, sometimes equipment help or chems, how to upgrade, how to attack or bid a job, but any way I benefit from the experience. Sometimes you get more giving than the person receiving, it sounds corny but it's true. This forum doles out great fundamental knowledge at many levels, there is no denying that. Putting up with the personalities that go with it, not so easy sometimes.

Rob is usually selling stuff, Odin used too, Ed V. is but won't tell you anything useful ever, OCV makes you think/try first, Todd gives you the straight dope and wand wizard lays it out as honest as it gets. If this place doesn't make you aspire to be your best every damn job... You're in the wrong line of work.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
You never stop learning and the more I share my past experiences the more I gain personally, any instructor in this business will agree with that. I communicate weekly with 4 up and coming cleaners, sometimes equipment help or chems, how to upgrade, how to attack or bid a job, but any way I benefit from the experience. Sometimes you get more giving than the person receiving, it sounds corny but it's true. This forum doles out great fundamental knowledge at many levels, there is no denying that. Putting up with the personalities that go with it, not so easy sometimes.

Rob is usually selling stuff, Odin used too, Ed V. is but won't tell you anything useful ever, OCV makes you think/try first, Todd gives you the straight dope and wand wizard lays it out as honest as it gets. If this place doesn't make you aspire to be your best every damn job... You're in the wrong line of work.

I agree, this place does make you aspire to do your best. I always have given my best on every job from the beginning, but it helps to actually know what you're doing and how to approach certain jobs. Especially back in the late 80's and 90's I was flyin by the seat of my pants!

One day somewhere in the late 90's I was at a vacuum shop trying to get one of my expensive vacuum motors repaired. I had upgraded to a Castex DVA by then so now I had two big 7.2 inch 3 stage motors instead of 1!:) As I walked out I saw a flyer on the ground and picked it up. It was from https://shop.truckmountforums.com. I'd never heard of them before. At least for me, that was a new beginning. You can certainly gain a ton of knowledge quickly on a forum like this that might have taken years otherwise and then only if you're lucky!

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Randy, in the beginning I was fake it until you make it like most. Sooooo much to know on the job and clinical knowledge didn't exactly translate to what the customer needed to hear. It took years to boil down industry BS, IICRC crap and wasted marketing to really understand what mattered and it wasn't what I thought did!!!

What I had a surplus of was confidence all along and as it turns out that's the most important part of sales, as long as you don't sound like a slimy car salesman. Honesty, punctuality and hard work carried me through and still does to this day. With the hurricane passing through we had 2 jobs cancel early this morning & 2 better water damage jobs take there place before noon. To be 100% honest I'm glad the residential cancelled so we could do the commercial water damage. This line of work can be the law of averages on any given week.

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
What is this !! TMF 2018 LOVE FEST or something !! Only thing that’s
“ more rounded “ on me is my belly !! That’s because I sit on my azz and eat while I read what you circus clowns are up to !!
Half of Florida gets blown to smithereens and the stock market takes a two day 12 pack dump in the terlet and you guys act like you’re unlocking the hotel room door with the hottest milf in town on your arm !! Got some real nuts on this forum . Take that Davisson guy .
Started a thread about a vacuum motor and it goes 37 pages of mental masturbation about something that sucks !! OCV is a piece of work . This guy spends 40-50 years twirling diapers and finally escapes New Yuckistan for Florida . What’s he doing now when he ain’t “ babe watching “ ?? Twirling diapers !! What a “ sicko “ !!
Ought to be “ institutionalized “ . No wait , that’s that Davisson guy that’s institutionalized !! Oh hell , take both of them !!
Then there’s Rob Allen . When this guy ain’t working his azz off he’s
smacking his little white balls all over Gods creation down in Virginia . I mean that’s okay and all BUT he does it with other guys !! WOW !!
By the way , you’re not going to get away with that in the Library of Congress !! You have to read there , another good hobby .
Speaking of “ hobbies “ and “ lovefests “ . Other day I’m reading the Ed Valentine thread and none other than Johnny Bravo pops up being nice and saying nice things about Ed . WTH is up with that !!
That giant reefer smoke cloud that envelopes Cali getting to you John ?? Maybe you need a hobby to get back to your old self .
NO !! I’m NOT talking about that thing Pinosan showed you with a vacuum hose !! That’s not healthy John . HA !!
I was watching Don Rickles on YouTube and got whipped in to a frenzy here !! Seriously hope you get to golf more Rob and don’t have to work as hard . Same with you other guys !! I’ve learned so much here it really is like the Library of Congress !! Members have done so much more for me than I for them . I’m humbled and grateful for all of you .
All the Best , Ed

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
If it wasn’t for all the help I get on TMF my stomach would still be growling!!
I can write 1000 pages on how it’s helped. Alls I can say is after TMF I have confidence my clients are getting quality work done when they hire me. I have confidence in the chemicals I purchase from the TMF store. I have confidence that no longer do I guess how to solve problems by creating more problems but a bunch of great fellow cleaners are their to help around the clock. I didn’t even dream of getting serious into carpets and was satisfied doing a few Bissel jobs for my housecleaning clients.
I read this forum as a guest and gained so much knowledge I had to join. Every forum has its back and fourths about what’s the best, who’s better. But all in all TMF has more members willing to help then any other forum I’ve ever been on. In less then a year I’ve grown my business, and we are finally working our way out of a hole.
Finding TMF before I started advertising in any way carpet cleaning started me off with good technique. I still follow every step, when cleaning carpets. I know without any doubt I have tons to learn. Soon I’ll be taking Scott’s class on Rug Cleaning and his knowledge and professionalism. I very much appreciate Robs creative ways to get cleaners the info out there to be easily available for serious cleaners. I like to have the TMF store for confidence as I learn the products are well researched and work correctly. Having Mytee, Cross American, and others is nice to directly interact with the industries big dogs.
But most of all the members willing to endlessly put up with my annoying nightly questions has been most valuable. You don’t read like on other forums “use the search button” people are willing to help. But I can tell you if you think I ask a lot of questions you should see how much I do use that search button!
We literally went from scraping by, to starting to be able to help others in less then a year. I really appreciate this forum. My kids are dressed better, eating better and are more comfortable. Sure we’re broke compared to a lot of the big dogs, I don’t have aspirations of fame or fortune. But three meals a day I’m happy. Toss me a steak now and again I feel like a king. I even got to fix the roof leak recently! Lol

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
Randy, in the beginning I was fake it until you make it like most. Sooooo much to know on the job and clinical knowledge didn't exactly translate to what the customer needed to hear. It took years to boil down industry BS, IICRC crap and wasted marketing to really understand what mattered and it wasn't what I thought did!!!

What I had a surplus of was confidence all along and as it turns out that's the most important part of sales, as long as you don't sound like a slimy car salesman. Honesty, punctuality and hard work carried me through and still does to this day. With the hurricane passing through we had 2 jobs cancel early this morning & 2 better water damage jobs take there place before noon. To be 100% honest I'm glad the residential cancelled so we could do the commercial water damage. This line of work can be the law of averages on any given week.

Water damage restoration was the bread and butter for my business for many, many years Jim. Insurance claim work to be exact. Water. Fire. Puffbacks. No such thing as "How Much Do You Charge"? Call.me crazy but I preferred making thousands a day over hundreds.

Last edited:

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
What is this !! TMF 2018 LOVE FEST or something !! Only thing that’s
“ more rounded “ on me is my belly !! That’s because I sit on my azz and eat while I read what you circus clowns are up to !!
Half of Florida gets blown to smithereens and the stock market takes a two day 12 pack dump in the terlet and you guys act like you’re unlocking the hotel room door with the hottest milf in town on your arm !! Got some real nuts on this forum . Take that Davisson guy .
Started a thread about a vacuum motor and it goes 37 pages of mental masturbation about something that sucks !! OCV is a piece of work . This guy spends 40-50 years twirling diapers and finally escapes New Yuckistan for Florida . What’s he doing now when he ain’t “ babe watching “ ?? Twirling diapers !! What a “ sicko “ !!
Ought to be “ institutionalized “ . No wait , that’s that Davisson guy that’s institutionalized !! Oh hell , take both of them !!
Then there’s Rob Allen . When this guy ain’t working his azz off he’s
smacking his little white balls all over Gods creation down in Virginia . I mean that’s okay and all BUT he does it with other guys !! WOW !!
By the way , you’re not going to get away with that in the Library of Congress !! You have to read there , another good hobby .
Speaking of “ hobbies “ and “ lovefests “ . Other day I’m reading the Ed Valentine thread and none other than Johnny Bravo pops up being nice and saying nice things about Ed . WTH is up with that !!
That giant reefer smoke cloud that envelopes Cali getting to you John ?? Maybe you need a hobby to get back to your old self .
NO !! I’m NOT talking about that thing Pinosan showed you with a vacuum hose !! That’s not healthy John . HA !!
I was watching Don Rickles on YouTube and got whipped in to a frenzy here !! Seriously hope you get to golf more Rob and don’t have to work as hard . Same with you other guys !! I’ve learned so much here it really is like the Library of Congress !! Members have done so much more for me than I for them . I’m humbled and grateful for all of you .
All the Best , Ed

10,000 comedians out of work and you're trying to be funny. Why don't you get off your dead ass and...and...and clean a terlet or sumthin. :p

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
It changed my life significantly for the better, Rob. You change/affect/impact lives. Period. Where was TMF 30 years ago? LOL. I sure would not have attended University.
Awesome and glad we all could help. And I wish I had something like TMF 35 years ago. But then again shows how important timing is. If Michael Jordan had lived 500 years ago he would not be where he is today as basketball was not invented. Same with us, the internet was not invented in our day. And now we have given our ages away.

PS:I didn't graduate from high school. Its why I had to start my own business.

Reactions: OldCarpetVet