Has anyone had this rare tile cleaning problem using the SX-12?

pro1

Jan 10, 2012
CA
Real Name
Rigo Murillo
Business Location
United States
I started with the typical tile cleaning process, tiles were 16 inches, water temperature in truck mount system was 180F, I apply the tile pre-conditioner (using a hand pump with pre-conditioner at about 150f), After 10min I started the rinsing (at 1000 psi, 180F) while I rinsed I began to hear a popping noise after cleaning the first four tiles that's when the tiles started to pop up and brake away from the grout in a 6 tile vertical length, they popped up and formed a pyramid shape.
---------------------------------------------Comment Please.----------------------------------------------------

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Sounds like you uncovered an installation issue. Wrong underlayment surface under the tile and possible grout installed wrong. This allows moisture to get to the wood underlayment. It gets wet and warps popping the tiles up with it.

Richard Baldwin

Premium VIP
Sep 5, 2008
Ontario
www.expertcarpet-care.com
Real Name
Richard Baldwin
Just sounds completely weird. Even warping subfloor would take a day or so for your moisture to have that effect. It's like the tile warming up has caused some sort of expansion causing them to pop up. It has to be something to do with the subfloor. I hope they are not blaming you and finding you responsible for a new floor.

kingjoelking

Mar 26, 2008
AZ
www.whatsinyourcarpets.com
Real Name
Joel Riggs
Business Location
United States
My expectation is that it was a problem that would have happened whether you cleaned or not. It is poorly mixed thinset and a shift in foundation. The change of temperature just exascerbated the issue. My guess is when you look under the thinset you will find a crack in the cement foundation from the house settling.

Budget

Dec 21, 2011
MI
Real Name
Ron Selvidge
Business Location
United States
Pro1 this issue happen to me exactly. Lucky for me I have a good friend that lays tile and marble for a living.
I had him come over and see what happen. He even had me do a demo for him.
After watching me use the spinner at 180 degrees at 800 to 1000 psi he said this.
The tile was laid on plywood under layment. That is not good. Then I came along rapidly changing
The temp of the tile and forcing moisture down the by way of
Grout and small hair line cracks in the grout. This combo made the tile release or pop off the cheap umderlayment!
He said this doesn't happen when the umderlayment is cement.
Bottom line is it's the homeowners fault for the issue happening.
But to be safe I force dryed the floor fix the tiles that popped and re grouted
them in. Then I started the job over the old fashion way, I mopped down degreaser
machine scrubbed the floor use the TM to vac up water. Then I did mild acid wash machine scrubbed that.
I shop vac that up just cuz I don't want acid in my TM then I forced dried the floor.
It took longer to clean and cost me a few bucks to fix an issue that wasn't mine but
I have a customer for life, avoided defending myself in court and she got me 3 jobs
already. I look like a hero not a zero!
It took l