Has anyone had problems with AMETEK 8.4 vac motors overheating?

KMS5280

Mar 27, 2013
Castle Pines, Colorado
Real Name
Kirk Standerfer
Business Location
United States
I am having this problem. From what research I've done it seems to be more of an issue when running in series? Is this because vac # 2 is taking in already hot air from exhaust from vac # 1?

Owner's manual says if this happens unplug machine and let motor cool down. Well, no shit, but I skipped class on that day of school where this part of the mechanics of electrically powered vacuum motors / in-series vs. parallel , etc. was covered.

If my hunch is right it may be best to operate this machine with vacs in parallel and that may be the only way to really avoid this overheating problem I seem to have. To make matters worse - the larger the motor - the longer it takes to cool down. I have lost two days this week due to this...I know....I know..truckmount would solve this problem....anyway...looking forward to any advice and education I can get on this subject.

Qwikdry

Dec 2, 2012
Real Name
Russell
Business Location
United States
I am having this problem. From what research I've done it seems to be more of an issue when running in series? Is this because vac # 2 is taking in already hot air from exhaust from vac # 1?

Owner's manual says if this happens unplug machine and let motor cool down. Well, no shit, but I skipped class on that day of school where this part of the mechanics of electrically powered vacuum motors / in-series vs. parallel , etc. was covered.

If my hunch is right it may be best to operate this machine with vacs in parallel and that may be the only way to really avoid this overheating problem I seem to have. To make matters worse - the larger the motor - the longer it takes to cool down. I have lost two days this week due to this...I know....I know..truckmount would solve this problem....anyway...looking forward to any advice and education I can get on this subject.
you could try installing a 120v cpu fan in your machine to blow cool air on the second motor...

KMS5280

Mar 27, 2013
Castle Pines, Colorado
Real Name
Kirk Standerfer
Business Location
United States
what machine are you running? or is it a home built machine?
Nautilus MXE-500. It's been a very reliable, heavy (167 pounds dry) machine. I am a habitual over wetter of carpets and textiles, so I thought I could use all of the help I could get, but wow what s difference in suction when one of those 8.2s shuts down. When it has happened over the last two or three days I stop because I'm afraid it would hurt the machine.
What's the reality here and how does one gain the knowledge on these types of machines to actually be comfortable with how and why it's behaving as it is? Are truck mounts they much more reliable or is it simpler because there isn't electricity involved. I'm fascinated with vac motor technology but I just don't understand it to a level I even feel comfortable with amongst my peers.

Qwikdry

Dec 2, 2012
Real Name
Russell
Business Location
United States
There's already one there. Are you sure there's no difference with overheating when running in-series vs. parallel?
yea, but does the fan blow air onto the motor or just pull hot air out of the machines case? from what i understand, the 8.4 motor has thermal protection. meaning, it shuts down when it overheats or reaches a certain temperature in order to protect the motor. if you can install another fan or two, with at least one blowing cool air from outside the machine inward it would prevent the 8.4 motor from shutting down. Also, yes you are correct, the second motor in series has hot air from the first motor going through it along with the heat it produces, so it takes alot of heat.

Rick Imby

Jul 2, 2009
Montana
www.missoulagreencarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Rick Imby
Business Location
United States
Most of the cabinets are known to not have enough ventilation. A fan forced air through the cabinet is what you need.

Are you running a heater in the compartment too? This would be another part of your problem.

If you already have a fan blowing through the motor compartment maybe when you installed the bigger vac motors you blocked the exit. Exit vent should be larger than powered entrance. The little fans on the top of the vac motors are not enough.

Make sure all of your connections are tight and clean. A poor connection will cause heat to build up.

With your first question ---Yes the second motor in series configuration will get hotter than the first and you might not overheat with parallel.

However you may need to completely redo your setup to convert to parallel.

The quickest way---my conjecture here---to cool the rear motor when it overheats is to leave the front motor running and take the load off---disconnect your hose at the machine.

Fear not---you know all you need to know about your motors and your machine. After remounting the bigger vacs you have learned. If you do burn out the rear motor you can the best of the motors you removed in its place and your system will work nearly as well as it does now.

Another idea might be to put one of the motors you pulled out in the second spot, it might not be as effected by the heat.----

Build a Tool Box booster to hook up to the exhaust of the machine from the motor you pulled out. Hook it up and use it when the rear motor overheats. This will get you through jobs that you are working on when the motor overheats.

Your motors will not last forever.

The single 8.8 pulls almost as much at 15 feet of 2"hose from your machine as most vac motors do at 75 feet.

Don't doubt yourself---you are doing it.

Reactions: epservices

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
No heat sink needed, just more air flow....

With a larger heat sink it would take them even longer to cool off.

Why Rick? The heat sink is designed to draw the heat away from the source.

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
check your wiring and switch and connections make sure replace the plugs if your using the stock plastic molded ones that came with the machine replace with 20 amp quality.

Thought the brain trust here would have thought of this first

Rick Imby

Jul 2, 2009
Montana
www.missoulagreencarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Rick Imby
Business Location
United States
check your wiring and switch and connections make sure replace the plugs if your using the stock plastic molded ones that came with the machine replace with 20 amp quality.

Thought the brain trust here would have thought of this first

---Make sure all of your connections are tight and clean. A poor connection will cause heat to build up.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
don't think he made modification to his machine. mxe-500 says it comes with 8.4's. so he should do as said above and check over wiring. but dont change anything. just make sure the connector's and wire coming into connector's is tight. run machine without extension cords. and then check the wires for hot spots. this can help locate a loose connection.

I say don't make any modification or repairs yet. because it will void your warranty if you still have one. so if everything checks out. but you still have a problem. call and get them to fix it. if out of warranty. then do the necessary repairs the guys above listed.

Check that none of the air vents is blocked or obstructed. Sometimes even where you position the machine can affect air flow. For example, better not to park it against a wall but rather in an open area.

Make sure connections are tight.

If the machine is still in the warranty period, do talk to the distributor you purchased it from. Their service department can check it out. If that fails, Hydro_Force warranty or send me an email and I will pass along the info.

Reactions: StevenB.

Ed Valentine

Oct 8, 2008
Michigan, USA
cross-american.com
Real Name
Ed Valentine
Business Location
United States
I am sitting here thinking of "why" do we in this Industry, allow or accept this malarkey (BS) on a continual basis?! Problems---problems--problems. Same old; same old.
The problem will only continue because most manufacturers only sell products to fill the wagon rather than solve, tweak, and do constant refinements --for the benefit---of the purchaser.

Oh well, .....................................enough said.

Reactions: epservices

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
Process of eleimination.
Loose connections (doubt it) unless you are toying with them.
Is it always the trailing motor ? May be a faulty thermal switch and motor will need replaced. Don't ask me how I know.
If one motor shuts down you need to cap of the stack for this motor in the recovery tank to finish job with one motor. Move unit closer and shorten your vacuum hose . No need to lose jobs.
I run a small 2stage 5.7 as a trailing motor per 8.4.
1400 hours plus on the 8.4s and the 5.7s last @ 500 hours.
Take into shop for warranty.

Reactions: StevenB.