shooky

Nov 11, 2013
Katy, TX
www.shookcarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Joe Saad
Business Location
United States
Happy Monday Everyone. I would like to expand my services to include hardwood floor cleaning. Based on my research, I've learned the following below. My hesitation is "Am I missing anything?" Please advise and thank you in advance.
  1. It's important to know the difference between cleaning and restoring and parlay that to interested clientele.
  2. the price equates to tile and grout.
  3. Which equipment to use.
    1. Hardwood floor cleaning machine
    2. 175 floor buffer
    3. Mop
    4. ???
  4. types of service:
    1. cleaning
    2. polishing
    3. ???
  5. floor types
    1. Natural
    2. Laminate
  6. Pitfalls
    1. floors swelling due to over wetting
    2. burning from the 175
    3. ????

Reactions: john martinez

john martinez

Dec 9, 2014
phoenix, az
www.facebook.com
Real Name
AZ NaTiVe Labor
Business Location
United States
Happy Monday Everyone. I would like to expand my services to include hardwood floor cleaning. Based on my research, I've learned the following below. My hesitation is "Am I missing anything?" Please advise and thank you in advance.
  1. It's important to know the difference between cleaning and restoring and parlay that to interested clientele.
  2. the price equates to tile and grout.
  3. Which equipment to use.
    1. Hardwood floor cleaning machine
    2. 175 floor buffer
    3. Mop
    4. ???
  4. types of service:
    1. cleaning
    2. polishing
    3. ???
  5. floor types
    1. Natural
    2. Laminate
  6. Pitfalls
    1. floors swelling due to over wetting
    2. burning from the 175
    3. ????
Shooky good idea not walking over dollars to pick-up cents. I'm also excited about doing some wood floor cleaning then maybe getting into to restoring. From what I've learned after some research with real wood and laminate is fairly straightforward. Sweep and vacuum the edges well then choose a solution that you've decided works well then spray it on to the floor a few feet at a time and buff with a microfiber pad either on a pole or by hand on your hands and knees. The challenge will be leaving a streak free finish on dark colored floors. FYI the last dark wood floors I cleaned for a couple that was moving out came out well using the Gunk brand foaming glass cleaner. I had seen a YouTube video with a guy who had used everything under the sun to clean his very dark wood floors and only the fore-mentioned product gave him great results. Other foaming glass cleaner brands may also provide excellent results. I have also recently purchased a 20" Tennant/Nobles 175 and a matching microfiber bonnet that I can't wait to test on would floors with similar solutions. Lmk if this helps GL

Reactions: shooky

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Hardwood floor cleaning is fairly easy and quick, as long as you can properly identify whether the floor you are on is hardwood, engineered, laminate, LVT, or some other synthetic wood look-alike (never trust a customer who says "it's hardwood", more often than not they cannot tell the difference if the floor was already there when they bought the place). You must also know whether it's finished with polyurethane or acrylic-based finish, as some aggressive cleaning agents will act as strippers on acrylic.

Be careful using ammonia-based products (like window cleaner) on hardwoods, as some older finishes like true waxes or oils may not respond well to them.

Refinishing wood can be a little trickier, but there are all sorts of training videos and equipment out there to help you do it. I'd suggest looking at Basic Coatings and watching their videos on finish ID, stripping and polishing techniques, etc.

Reactions: shooky and JojoFC

john martinez

Dec 9, 2014
phoenix, az
www.facebook.com
Real Name
AZ NaTiVe Labor
Business Location
United States
Hardwood floor cleaning is fairly easy and quick, as long as you can properly identify whether the floor you are on is hardwood, engineered, laminate, LVT, or some other synthetic wood look-alike (never trust a customer who says "it's hardwood", more often than not they cannot tell the difference if the floor was already there when they bought the place). You must also know whether it's finished with polyurethane or acrylic-based finish, as some aggressive cleaning agents will act as strippers on acrylic.

Be careful using ammonia-based products (like window cleaner) on hardwoods, as some older finishes like true waxes or oils may not respond well to them.

Refinishing wood can be a little trickier, but there are all sorts of training videos and equipment out there to help you do it. I'd suggest looking at Basic Coatings and watching their videos on finish ID, stripping and polishing techniques, etc.
Mama Fen I believe there's ammonia free foaming glass cleaner brands also.

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
image.jpeg
All I use . Made with perfume grade alcohol .
All the Best, Ed

JojoFC

Nov 19, 2016
Las vegas
Real Name
Jojo jananto
Business Location
United States
View attachment 71011 All I use . Made with perfume grade alcohol .
All the Best, Ed
What do you do with it Ed? Just spray and mop? Or do you buff it too? I've seen a vid on youtube where this guy dump all kinds of solution on wood floor and buff it with his 175. Looked good when he was done, but overwetting the floor was my concern. Cause the way he laid the solution was like dunk the mop in the mop bucket, take it out without wringing it and lay it on the floor.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
What do you do with it Ed? Just spray and mop? Or do you buff it too? I've seen a vid on youtube where this guy dump all kinds of solution on wood floor and buff it with his 175. Looked good when he was done, but overwetting the floor was my concern. Cause the way he laid the solution was like dunk the mop in the mop bucket, take it out without wringing it and lay it on the floor.

That's where site-finished versus plant-finished comes into play. Plant-finished boards have the coating already applied before install, so there are gaps between them where water can run down between the boards and wreak havoc. Site-finished floors generally have a better coat of poly that flows over and between the boards, preventing intrusion, but it's still not a 100% safe bet.

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
Nope. Use it on glass only . Not long ago we had a thread here about cleaning LVT and such . Old Carpet Vet ( Richard Santoro ) chimed in that he cleans it using 50/50 glass cleaner ( ammonia free )and water then uses a lambs wool bonnet at the end to shine it up on his Oreck . I know Richard likes the Ecolab glass cleaner and he may be getting it from Sam's Club . You would have to ask him to make sure . Just got my order that included the wool bonnet so I can try this . Haven't had the chance yet . As far as the mopping you saw on YouTube ............ I would not do that ....... Ever .
All the Best, Ed