HALL OF SHAME. I screwed up my solution pump or something.

Littleguy

Feb 8, 2019
Real Name
Timmy
So on Feb 7, it was the worst day in a very long time, I won't forget this day. I will do bullet points because it will be easier to understand.

• I volunteered to clean someone tile for practice.
  • I arrived to the location, set my hoses and turned my Everest 650HP into idle position while I pre-spray with my hand-pumped sprayer.
  • I was not trained, the guy who installed the machine, never showed me anything, he said just to read the manual. So I was up for trial and error.
  • At this point I plug my turbo force and I see that there is nothing happening, no spray.
  • I trying doing all the adjustments thinking that was the problem... So I went to check the water box in the back and it was empty.
-So I checked the water supply and it was pumping water.
  • Then I checked and I had the water plugged into High pressure outlet, I switched it over to the right plug.
  • at this point no water has left the truck mount thru a wand.
  • So at this point, I was all over the place with priming, or solution flow, the pressure gauge was moving as I moved it up and down, and the water was reading hot.
  • At this point I was able to get the first water from a wand I connected... but a sound with it, like gravel knocking sound.
  • I pressed the trigger one more time and another sound...
  • I told my partner if he heard that sound before, he said we should get the floor done regardless, So I pressed the trigger one more time and some more strange sound... So I decided that I was going to shut it off...
  • When I did press the trigger I remember seeing the chemical flow gauge go from 2 to 7-8.\
  • So wrapped everything down, and went home, there I turned the machine ON again on IDLE and everything is fine, but then I switch the Solution Pump ON and the sound starts, and if I switch it OFF it goes away.

I wonder if anyone has any advice... Did I burn my machine, Do you guys think there could be cavitation... I will take it to the mechanic and the part is around 2k I think. I think it is a CAT pump, not sure, but I seen people take those apart.

I wonder if other parts of the machine got ruined.

I wonder if there is some kind of flushing procedure I could do to see if there is air. Could it be flushed without turning on the solution pump?

Anyways, I have learned a important lesson, a life lesson. I will be super careful with everything, from my car, to my family, to everything.

ALL comments will be appreciated.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
So on Feb 7, it was the worst day in a very long time, I won't forget this day. I will do bullet points because it will be easier to understand.

• I arrived to the location, set my hoses and turned my Everest 650HP into idle position while I pre-spray with my hand-pumped sprayer.
  • I was not trained, the guy who installed the machine, never showed me anything, he said just to read the manual. So I was up for trial and error.
  • At this point I plug my turbo force and I see that there is nothing happening, no spray.
  • I trying doing all the adjustments thinking that was the problem... So I went to check the water box in the back and it was empty.
  • Then I checked and I had the water plugged into High pressure outlet, I switched it over to the right plug.
  • So at this point, I was all over the place with priming, or solution flow, the pressure gauge was moving as I moved it up and down, and the water was reading hot.
  • At this point I was able to get the first water from a wand I connected... but a sound with it, like gravel knocking sound.
  • I told my partner if he heard that sound before, he said we should get the floor done regardless, So I pressed the trigger one more time and some more strange sound... So I decided that I was going to shut it off...
  • When I did press the trigger I remember seeing the chemical flow gauge go from 2 to 7-8.\
  • So wrapped everything down, and went home, there I turned the machine ON again on IDLE and everything is fine, but then I switch the Solution Pump ON and the sound starts, and if I switch it OFF it goes away.

I wonder if anyone has any advice... Did I burn my machine, Do you guys think there could be cavitation... I will take it to the mechanic and the part is around 2k I think. I think it is a CAT pump, not sure, but I seen people take those apart.

I wonder if there is some kind of flushing procedure I could do to see if there is air. Could it be flushed without turning on the solution pump?

Anyways, I have learned a important lesson, a life lesson. I will be super careful with everything, from my car, to my family, to everything.

Never do anything for free !!

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Don't sweat it yet, purge the system of air completely like stated above and run it at low RPM before getting all doom and gloom. Report back issues if any.

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
I have a question. Why is your fresh water supply and pressure line connections the same size? The fresh water supply needs to be larger.
My advise would be to back out the pressure regulator and run the rpm's up. You don't want to be running your Truckmount at idle with the pump on to long. It strains the engine and the pump. Run that thing up!

Reactions: Luky

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States

I might be late with advice, but did you check if you have oil in your cat pump.
Absence of oil would definitely cause grinding sound when plungers are moved( ceramic)

Reactions: 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I would connect one of these at the machine and see if anything is coming out

View attachment 82884
Can you make this one from hydro-force sprayer line? I have couple of those laying around and I don't feel like making one and paying for crimping. I know, I sound like cheapskate...
Or I take one from my Turbo ....

Attachments

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Can you make this one from hydro-force sprayer line? I have couple of those laying around and I don't feel like making one and paying for crimping. I know, I sound like cheapskate...
I dont see why not as long as at least one of the ends is threaded at the crimp and you can fit a male quick connect.

AussieCarpetBloke

Premium VIP
May 15, 2016
Real Name
Corey Bayliss
Buy some reusable field repairs, cut hose screw on outer collar on outside of hose, then screw in barb with threaded fitting done
For the cost of a shop crimp 1 end you can buy a bunch of fittings, No more crimping!!!

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Yeah how is your Fresh water outlet the same size as your high pressure outlet ? They don't come from the factory like that.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
What was the outside temperature when all this was going on?

Littleguy

Feb 8, 2019
Real Name
Timmy
What was the outside temperature when all this was going on?
it was pretty cold , when I got to the job maybe like 40. But it never went below 32. Ama try to flush it... see what happens.. the machine has 3 hours of use.. so the oil should be good.. there where no spills of any kind..

Reactions: SRD

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
That's what I use, also can use it to prime water pump and to fill hydro force. I have been using the same one for over 11 years now.
If you use it to prime chemical feed, do you leave chemical meter valve half way or open all the way ?