Had job cancel because I wasn't TM

JDinAZ

Oct 26, 2018
Real Name
Josh DiGiovanni
...I went out and quoted a residential job today and after I left she called to cancel.. because I wasn't using steam TM.. Have you gotten this response before and how do u handle it?

Reactions: ColoradoCleaner

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I have 3 or 4 people per year ask if I use a truckmount. You will get the question occasionally. Just try to have a good response prepared.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
resturant owners will ask......

after 2-3 asked and turned me down I got a truckmount......

but it depends on what your doing...apts., rentals, even homes should work with a portable....
and 175...

but cannot go under debt for 35k and expect to make a profit anytime soon...
gotta do your home work before you buy a TM

Reactions: smartcarpetcare

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
I agree Move On. They don't know what they're talking about. With that said you might tell her what I say... It's not about the machine it's about the man. Do you ask your mechanic if he's going to use jacks or a lift?" That usually shuts them up. If they don't like it the be glad to be rid of them.
Here's the phase: There is nobody more ignorant than an educated person out of their field. And there are not many things more misunderstood by the home owner than carpet cleaning.

Furtado

Feb 13, 2011
CA
Real Name
B Furtado
Business Location
United States
Is their carpet fairly new? Manufacturers typically require 'truck mounted steam cleaning' once every 12-18 months to retain vendor warranties, and likely the person who sold the floor covering to them told them that. They may be the same kind of customers asking if you are IICRC certified for warranty reasons as well. It's unfortunate that it can have an effect on the business of a skilled tech using a quality portable. Ken made a point, it's not about the machine but the guy using it. Good luck!

Sabyl Nate

Nov 4, 2018
Moline, IL
www.sabyltech.com
Real Name
Nate Howard
Business Location
United States
Delivery, delivery, delivery. When I first started (a business that is, did 10 years before that working for a CC company) I had a Century 400 Ninja, and determination. Confidence is everything. Did I run into this? Of course, but rarely did it cost the job. "Do you have one of those trucks with the machine in it"... or whatever brilliant string of words a civilian uses to feel us out... how do you reply? "Well, no sir.... I have a portable"? Or "YOU DON'T NEED ONE OF THOSE, I'M A PRO AND YOU DON'T KNOW!!!!".

Yea... don't do either.

"Ah, you're thinking Hot Water Extraction cleaning... yes we do that, and I agree that's probably what you need here".

Or

"I haven't quite decided which method will work best in your situation... when was it last cleaned? Hmmm, you're probably right... it is probably time for"...

I dunno… "a good rinse"

or... "hot water extraction"

or.. hell "a good steam clean". Whatever.

Point is, fake it til you make it man, and go in with confidence. Provided you can get a carpet cleaner than some dildo hack splash and dash, say what you gotta say to get in, and rock that rug so they'll never call anyone else.

To reiterate, foot in the door, rock rug with confidence, enjoy the life you've made.

My 2 cents.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
I would of told them the guy in the TM has 200’ of hose between his vacs sucking out the dirt and your carpet. I have 20ft doing the same. See the advantage?
Not saying my analogy is perfect but wording it like that your not lying about anything, and prob will score the job. Then of course wow then with your skill.
I would of also explained carpet mills suggest heat of 140 degrees. Then went on to say the term “steam cleaning” these days usually is just referring to HWE. Wow them with knowledge. Never arrogant just informative.
Since they cancelled However honestly don’t sweat it. Probably saved you a massive headache. In business your going to win some and lose some. Don’t get discouraged.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
I too have been asked if I use truckmount or not?

Thank the Lord I hall all 3 (HWE, Portable, low Moisture

But I would not worry about it. Nothing wrong in them asking and wanting a particular system.
I get called and asked if I do cleaning without the steam cleaning (HWE), the Dry clean.
After letting them speak I found that they meant (VLM)

That is why I got a VLM for just in case.

Truckmounts have some Pros,
Portables have some pros,
and both definitely have cons

Last edited:

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
I had the question a few times per year when I was using portables. As Anderson stated, it was often from restaurant owners. Even when I got a truckmount, I would get asked.

If the home was in a neighborhood i wanted more work; if the customer was my kind of customer; I would make this offer. Let me do the cleaning. If you were not 100% pleased with the results, there will be no charge. Save your money and hire someone with a truckmount.

Really a 100% guarantee is what any good carpet cleaner offers his customers anyway. I just focused on it more for those who had concerns.

I should point out that this was early and middle 1980s. There were not a lot of truckmount operators at that time. Those who had one made a big deal about it in their advertising.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
At least she didn’t cancel because you were ugly.

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
When I was just running a portable, if they asked if I had a truck mount I told them yes. Then when I got there I left the portable in the van and did it that way. Never once got called on it. But I would advice you to save you money and get a TM in the future. You're productivity will go up and you won't have to worry about the TM questions ever again. JMO

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
Is their carpet fairly new? Manufacturers typically require 'truck mounted steam cleaning' once every 12-18 months to retain vendor warranties, and likely the person who sold the floor covering to them told them that. They may be the same kind of customers asking if you are IICRC certified for warranty reasons as well. It's unfortunate that it can have an effect on the business of a skilled tech using a quality portable. Ken made a point, it's not about the machine but the guy using it. Good luck!
yes but you can use an approved CRI rug doctor and chemicals

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
I was in the same boat and spent a good amount of breath back then defending the portable.

Eventually got out of that stage and everything became easier.. just keep at it and dont worry about that one lady. Up your game in things like red stain removal, speed drying, carpet repair.

Reactions: Select

leuj20

May 18, 2009
Real Name
Luis
Business Location
United States
Delivery, delivery, delivery. When I first started (a business that is, did 10 years before that working for a CC company) I had a Century 400 Ninja, and determination. Confidence is everything. Did I run into this? Of course, but rarely did it cost the job. "Do you have one of those trucks with the machine in it"... or whatever brilliant string of words a civilian uses to feel us out... how do you reply? "Well, no sir.... I have a portable"? Or "YOU DON'T NEED ONE OF THOSE, I'M A PRO AND YOU DON'T KNOW!!!!".

Yea... don't do either.

"Ah, you're thinking Hot Water Extraction cleaning... yes we do that, and I agree that's probably what you need here".

Or

"I haven't quite decided which method will work best in your situation... when was it last cleaned? Hmmm, you're probably right... it is probably time for"...

I dunno… "a good rinse"

or... "hot water extraction"

or.. hell "a good steam clean". Whatever.

Point is, fake it til you make it man, and go in with confidence. Provided you can get a carpet cleaner than some dildo hack splash and dash, say what you gotta say to get in, and rock that rug so they'll never call anyone else.

To reiterate, foot in the door, rock rug with confidence, enjoy the life you've made.

My 2 cents.
Why fake it? Just be honest about it and if they feel they need the TM just move on, I started with portables and I was always up front some people didn't care some people did that is wahy I saved and bought my TM now when they ask do you use a truckmount I jus say yes and move on the next question.