Had a first the other day!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
May 14, 2010
SC
Real Name
Chris Sawyer
Business Location
United States
We were about 3/4 of the way finished cleaning a bunch of rugs in a nice home. This alarm started beeping. We figured out it was the CO2 alarm. We continued and then the hardwired alarm system went off too! The monitor company called the client and said they were sending the fire department.

Long story but apparently the gas stove was not lit, but BARELY on. They said my fans must have swirled it around enough to set off the alarm. My fans weren't even in the kitchen but somehow it did this. The firemen made us stay outside for a little while until the readings went down.

I was so nervous that somehow my truckmount caused this. I was about 10 feet away from the double garage with it completely open the whole time. The CO2 alarm was about 15 ft from the door leading to the garage. Thought it was highly improbable but she said the alarm had never went off and she couldn't find another cause.

It certainly made for an interesting day!
FB_IMG_1535421683659.jpg

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
You truckmount could of caused it also. I’ve set off the c02 alarm a few times when my machine faced the garage and the garage was open. I just leave a few windows open. The sensors are very sensitive.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I set off a hard wired system several years ago. I thought I was parked far enough away, but the slight breeze was blowing right towards the house and some of my engine exhaust right along with it. I found out some interesting and good to know stuff about carbon monoxide exhaust from a small engine since then. I read a small engine can put out 10 times, if I remember correctly, the CO as a car engine. It might have been even more than that. That's pretty scary when you think about it. Also, it is heavier than air so it stays towards the ground. When it makes it's way to any opening in the home such as a cracked window or door it goes right on in there. That's why there have been some of the deaths particularly from generator usage. It's better to run an extra 25 ft. or even 50 ft. of vac and solution hose than to risk killing yourself or embarrassing yourself. I hate to tell ya, but I'd bet money YOU set that detector off because you parked too close. You're lucky they found something else to blame. Believe me, I know just how easy it is to set them off. Btw, there have also been some deaths from improper TM usage in just the past few years.

Last edited:

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I’ve had it happen to me and fire department showed up. Never again. I recommend picking up a portable CO detector. We just put them on our Safety Doors. Carbon monoxide is no joke.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
I walking into a job about 10yrs ago, it was a move out and the customer was finishing getting the last few things out

Whole house reeked like gas, you could almost see it in the air... he had accidentally bumped the key knob in the floor for the fireplace. If you would have lit a match that place would have blown.

Fireplaces are supposed to kill the gas flow if it doesnt ignite but this had somehow malfunctioned and was just filling the house up with gas.

May 14, 2010
SC
Real Name
Chris Sawyer
Business Location
United States
I set off a hard wired system several years ago. I thought I was parked far enough away, but the slight breeze was blowing right towards the house and some of my engine exhaust right along with it. I found out some interesting and good to know stuff about carbon monoxide exhaust from a small engine since then. I read a small engine can put out 10 times, if I remember correctly, the CO as a car engine. It might have been even more than that. That's pretty scary when you think about it. Also, it is heavier than air so it stays towards the ground. When it makes it's way to any opening in the home such as a cracked window or door it goes right on in there. That's why there have been some of the deaths particularly from generator usage. It's better to run an extra 25 ft. or even 50 ft. of vac and solution hose than to risk killing yourself or embarrassing yourself. I hate to tell ya, but I'd bet money YOU set that detector off because you parked too close. You're lucky they found something else to blame. Believe me, I know just how easy it is to set them off. Btw, there have also been some deaths from improper TM usage in just the past few years.
That was my thinking but I was parked far enough away. The three firemen assured me it wasn't me. The gas company also said it was the stove

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
See us porty guys don’t have that worry lol

Nick M.

Jan 10, 2015
Real Name
Nick M.
See us porty guys don’t have that worry lol
Yeah but can a porty do over $500 a day? In my past experience I was never able to finish a 4 room house in less than 3 hrs with bucket brigading. Maybe I was doing it wrong. Porty just took way too long and didn’t give same results. Why we went with TM.

Nick M.

Jan 10, 2015
Real Name
Nick M.
I still have a porty but it has its time when needed maybe on like a high rise in PHX

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Yeah but can a porty do over $500 a day? In my past experience I was never able to finish a 4 room house in less than 3 hrs with bucket brigading. Maybe I was doing it wrong. Porty just took way too long and didn’t give same results. Why we went with TM.
Not being stupid but I do two jobs a day max usually and exceed $500
Call me dumb but I’ve yet done a discount type carpet job

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Wait I have to take that back. I did a discount $200 one room job at a local golf course last week. It was a large room maybe 350sq ft. I discounted it to test out encap with some of my new machines. Worked out great. Can’t say it was my skill, Robs Encap just freaking worked awesome.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
There’s a zillion discount cleaners in our tiny market btw. I honestly try to cater to high end homes. If the jobs too cheap I don’t even bother. BUT I’m able to pull this off since my company mainly does housekeeping. Carpets and windows are all extra icing on the cake. If I only did Carpets I may have a totally different strategy.

Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States
I've done it, residential. But, I had good teachers! Ha.

Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I dont see why you cant. Maybe if all you got are one or two roomers all day. Yeah that would slow us down but still do able. But full home? No different. Have to be set up right from start and get a system down.

dizzydog

Mar 27, 2017
Oahu, Hawaii
workingmanhands.com
Real Name
Nick Snope
I dont see why you cant. Maybe if all you got are one or two roomers all day. Yeah that would slow us down but still do able. But full home? No different. Have to be set up right from start and get a system down.
We regularly turn over 1k or $1200days with a porty. It’s not fun but it is very doable.

Aug 28, 2016
Real Name
Richard Davis
We never run thru the garage which is why we wont fo condo's. The garage is a pocket for exhaust fumes and monoxide. Run your fans while cleaning and it has a constant pull on it. Doesnt matter if you run the TM facing away from the garage door, it will build in the garage.