Hack 101 - How hacks make us look good | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Hack 101 - How hacks make us look good

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
KICKS or KEEPS? Geez you Apes all the same! Paint a Pic or two and Ya'lls Get A WOODY!:eek:

Gavin

Jan 21, 2011
WA
Real Name
Gavin Green
Business Location
United States
Without comparing everyone's equipment, wand vs stair tool, truckmount vs porty, it really comes down to the technician and his ability to realize and apply cleaning principles properly. If you apply heat, chemical,(dwell) , agitation and extraction properly you will not be a hack. Not to say they don't exist, I think a hack is just a lazy cleaner who does not really care about his customer or results. They do give the industry a bad rap and take advantage of good customers, there are hacks in every industry and these are the guys who don't last.

http://www.wilmingtoncarpetcare.com

I agree with what makes you a hack, but not with "these are the guys who don't last" some hacks do very well, and it encourages them to continue cleaning crappily. In a large metro area you could make a good living without having any repeat customers. and even a bad reputation isn't going to spread to everyone, and people will still cal the cheap guy, even if he has a bad rep.

now I'm not advocating being a hack, but it isn't true that they all end up going out of business, some of them stick around, and some of them even start franchising.

Reactions: drift56
Dec 1, 2013
Wilmington North Carolina
www.wilmingtoncarpetcare.com
Real Name
Andreas Agnew
You are correct my friend. There are hacks that keep friggin chuggin a long. I guess what I meant is they don't last as a reputable business who are known for quality and get referrals. I mean cmon there is a reason they are called hacks, I guess some hacks do very well and some don't. You've never heard someone say "he's a hell of hack". We all have different views of hacks and I'm sure their are different levels of hacks, they just keep "hacking away"....lol!!

Clean-Team

Dec 17, 2011
South Australia
Real Name
Grant Baverstock
Business Location
Australia
I must admit the term "hack" causes me a great deal of confusion. Not having been raised in the US and coming to carpet cleaning as late in life as I have is probably why.

I would live for somebody to give the meaning if the word hack some careful thought and write in with - almost a dictionary type definition.

Because I don't have a good handle on what being a hack means I often do not understand why people's responses are as passionate or even angry as they sometimes tend to be.

Grant

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
A hack is a "half ass" person. One who either deludes them self or doesn't care enough to apply proper cleaning techniques. Therefore the result of their work is "half ass" results. This usually carries over to everything in their life.

Clean-Team

Dec 17, 2011
South Australia
Real Name
Grant Baverstock
Business Location
Australia
Rights. Thanks for that. I imagine that laziness would be big driver for the poor approach some cleaners have. I imagine runner up would be lack of education, not having the knowledge to get the results.

Grant

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
Rights. Thanks for that. I imagine that laziness would be big driver for the poor approach some cleaners have. I imagine runner up would be lack of education, not having the knowledge to get the results.

Grant
I don't think laziness alone tells the whole story. Often times companies will charge a price that has such little margin that they can't possibly spend enough time to do anything other than move the dirt around and drench the carpet.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I don't think laziness alone tells the whole story. Often times companies will charge a price that has such little margin that they can't possibly spend enough time to do anything other than move the dirt around and drench the carpet.
I agree. Good point Mike.

Troyster

Apr 24, 2013
Terrace BC
Real Name
Troy Sims
Business Location
Canada
Should tell that too my new customers! the competition charges the same as me but I have been hearing they only clean the top of the stair steps with a wand and don't bother cleaning the risers or bullnose! now that's a hack! In and out of a 7 room home with 2 sets of stairs in under a 1/2 hour!

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Should tell that too my new customers! the competition charges the same as me but I have been hearing they only clean the top of the stair steps with a wand and don't bother cleaning the risers or bullnose! now that's a hack! In and out of a 7 room home with 2 sets of stairs in under a 1/2 hour!
I agree. Never be afraid to educate your clients. ;)

Dec 1, 2013
Wilmington North Carolina
www.wilmingtoncarpetcare.com
Real Name
Andreas Agnew
A hack is a "half ass" person. One who either deludes them self or doesn't care enough to apply proper cleaning techniques. Therefore the result of their work is "half ass" results. This usually carries over to everything in their life.
Very well said Rob.....that should probably put it to rest. :rolleyes:
I agree. Never be afraid to educate your clients. ;)
You have to educate your clients, or else their expectations will be something you are not aware of. Educating clients is key.....I do this over the phone if possible. Remember they are are helpless sheep and know nothing, it is our job to herd the sheep and show them direction.

Clean-Team

Dec 17, 2011
South Australia
Real Name
Grant Baverstock
Business Location
Australia
What are your rates?
Depends on the job. I quote the scope of work. Most work is restorations. For those jobs the average domestic room
Is $80. I do have other equipment besides this machine, a 175, two Kirby's, mini CRB and I don't just fill this machine with Bissell's suds and go.

Grant

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryankettering

Vito

Bravo Carpet and Tile Cleaning
Premium VIP
Aug 17, 2012
Naples, Fl.
bravocarpetandtilecleaning.com
Real Name
Vito Trupiano
Business Location
United States
did one sat. a hack clean the carpet and it smell real bad, found out it has been wet for three days. and also it was dirty, redid the job and for one master bedroom and hall it took me two hours to do with the rv. final got the bad smell out of the carpet. smell like mold.

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
did one sat. a hack clean the carpet and it smell real bad, found out it has been wet for three days. and also it was dirty, redid the job and for one master bedroom and hall it took me two hours to do with the rv. final got the bad smell out of the carpet. smell like mold.
Way to go VITO...You R the MAN!

Reactions: admin

Troyster

Apr 24, 2013
Terrace BC
Real Name
Troy Sims
Business Location
Canada
WOW. my area sucks cuase SS is charging $44 per room before discounts. I wish i could get $200 per room. Im happy with $23-36.
If I could charge $200 a room I would in a heartbeat > that would be sweet

Reactions: drift56

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
If I could charge $200 a room I would in a heartbeat > that would be sweet
Welcome Back Troy! Where ya been Homie? At the VET..? Flea/Nit Bath Time....BTW...As a CHIMP/PIMP you..above ALL should Know that $200.00 a ROOM is Fair and Equitable! Just Need a Buyer..Grant has some spare time?

Reactions: Troyster