Guys that work in the cold/Seasonal areas, what do you do during the winter for additional income? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Guys that work in the cold/Seasonal areas, what do you do during the winter for additional income?

beau

Jun 5, 2015
BC, Canada
Real Name
Beau Phipps
Business Location
Canada
So its coming up on winter up here in Canada.

For the last 4 years its always incredibly slow, once you get to that -15c and lower temps the phone basically stops ringing altogether. Our add on service this year was power washing which of course is also pretty seasonal in the area.

I feel like i could handle adding another service currently, and was wondering what you guys all do?(Assuming you have additional services)

Its a small Rural area Im at, So the commercial works just not really present to keep me busy during the winter months.

Would like ideas that can incorporate some of my current equipment but as long as its not crazy costly Im open to other ideas as well.

Thanks everyone.

Mass-Steamer

Nov 11, 2016
Real Name
Howie Wallach
I'm in Massachusetts and face a similar situation every year.

We also provide building maintenance (janitorial) for apartment and condo building common areas.
Margins aren't great; however, the work is profitable and we also do carpet cleaning, strip and wax and tile and grout cleaning for those clients.

Two years ago became IICRC cert for water restoration and last year learned carpet repair.

We also "fell into" bio-clean-ups and trash chute/compactor system cleaning.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
Go on vacation to somewhere warm...\

No seriously.....

Focus on doing more business 9 months out of the year so you do NOT have to work during winter. Instead go on vacation to the Caribbean or Hawaii.

IF you are looking to grow past owner operator you should be able to stash some cash and start or purchase an unrelated business.......

Create multiple streams of income for yourself....

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Scrub and buff little convenience stores once a month. I lived in a small area as well but there were enough places that had VCT that needed monthly maintenance to at least make my minimum needs. 40 minutes in and out and I charge a minimum of $150.

Water restoration is pretty good for cold climates. Peoples pipes start to freeze this time of year. Gotta get that mess cleaned up.

The other option is to expand to work on doing more work in the warm months so come winter you don't have to worry. Window cleaning has been pretty nice income for us when it's warm out.

Reactions: Smtwn janitorial

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
your at the point we were in. We decided on Water/Fire Restoration.

What you have to realize is that if you are super busy April-Dec carpet cleaning, will you have time/human resources to continue that new service throughout the year?

Reactions: Spazznout

beau

Jun 5, 2015
BC, Canada
Real Name
Beau Phipps
Business Location
Canada
Looks like purchasing another business or heading down Water damage route is what ill look into next. Thank you for the feedback guys!

Jimbo Williams

May 11, 2009
NC
precisionsteamcleaning.com
Real Name
Jim Williams
Business Location
United States
I did chimney cleaning for 5 years. It was busy from Oct.-March here in N.C. You can easily do 5 a day at $200 each. Now I only do carpet and upholstery but my area is not quite as seasonal. I stay fairly busy even in the winter.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Save up when it is busy then just rest and work part time and go to vacation, my wife works so no problems paying bills.

ccclean

Mar 12, 2016
Real Name
Stephen Boisvert
Scotch Guard is bad for you.

It has been sold to cleaners just like cleaners sell it to the customer.

I don’t think many cleaners make an effort to apply it so it will be effective.

I think it’s better to make your up-sells in other ways.