Growing pains. How you went from owner op to multiple vans? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Growing pains. How you went from owner op to multiple vans?

Harry Mullett

Premium VIP
Dec 29, 2009
Idaho
Real Name
John Bunn
Business Location
United States
I understand exactly what you mean. What I want is solid help that is dependable. I know I'm still gonna be on the truck and I'm fine with that. I just need someone to run another van so I'm not so swamped and worn out. I do apartments and residential. My days can get pretty crazy sometimes and I want to spread out the work.
You also have to realize that most people do not aspire to be carpet cleaners. Not a very good pool of people to choose from. Just the facts.

Mac M

May 11, 2016
Real Name
Michael McFarlane
It's always a double edge sword. If you find the perfect guy eventually he will start his own and I wouldn't blame him... that is how I started lol

Jan 31, 2015
Real Name
Stephen jones
The thought of always have is that there are plenty of carpet cleaning companies that have multiple vans and employees so it must be possible to get it to that level, but I think that how hard the work can be is an issue too because there are a lot of jobs that are much easier to do with the same or more pay out there.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
The thought of always have is that there are plenty of carpet cleaning companies that have multiple vans and employees so it must be possible to get it to that level, but I think that how hard the work can be is an issue too because there are a lot of jobs that are much easier to do with the same or more pay out there.

Not only that, Steven, but TBH I tend to think of the single owner-operator guys as usually doing a better, more detailed job since it's their name on the business license and their contact into on the side of the van. There are, of course, exceptions, but on the whole larger fleets of vans tend to do the work more quickly and in less detailed fashion.

Reactions: Allied

Allied

Life is good!
Premium VIP
Jun 18, 2013
Down Yonder
Real Name
Simon Bolivar
Business Location
United States
Not only that, Steven, but TBH I tend to think of the single owner-operator guys as usually doing a better, more detailed job since it's their name on the business license and their contact into on the side of the van. There are, of course, exceptions, but on the whole larger fleets of vans tend to do the work more quickly and in less detailed fashion.
And hopefully charging accordingly.

Jan 31, 2015
Real Name
Stephen jones
Well I don't wanna be a 12 truck operation, but 3 or 4 would be great and some good quality guys. I mean there are guys on here who seem to have companies like that. I mean what's average pay for a technician?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
A very good point I forgot to add! For a long time I have struggled with the idea of raising prices in fear of loosing customers, however I raised my prices by only $5 per room/area about 2 weeks ago and nobody has said a thing about it. $5 doesn't seem like much but each ticket has gone up an average of $25-$30 times 4-5 jobs a day time 5 days a week brings in over 2k more per month! Like I said, lost no customers thus far.
Love it!

M4sT3R T3CH

Feb 1, 2009
Topeka
Real Name
Randall Blackwell
Business Location
United States
How do you pay your employees ?
That is the key to this whole conversation. How do you make money? How do you keep your techs inspired to be the best? I have found a few guys but thats not the norm. If you want solid techs who love their job you gotta pay them well.

dirtysurface

Jun 27, 2014
Real Name
craig shelby jr
Honestly I think staying small 1 van 1 truckmount is the way to go. Maybe look into a part time helper say 2-3 days a week. Only take high paying jobs keep your equipment and expenses low. If you want to take a day off you can if you want to take a vacation have the part time guy do the work. Getting bigger isn't always better or more money. I can promise you it's more headache that's for sure.

Reactions: M4sT3R T3CH

M4sT3R T3CH

Feb 1, 2009
Topeka
Real Name
Randall Blackwell
Business Location
United States
Honestly I think staying small 1 van 1 truckmount is the way to go. Maybe look into a part time helper say 2-3 days a week. Only take high paying jobs keep your equipment and expenses low. If you want to take a day off you can if you want to take a vacation have the part time guy do the work. Getting bigger isn't always better or more money. I can promise you it's more headache that's for sure.
On some level i agree with you. Your not going to make more money but you will have a lityle less stress. My problem is i dont like turning down work.

dirtysurface

Jun 27, 2014
Real Name
craig shelby jr
lets say a lot less stress when you have trucks and employees I would say 50% of the time you are dealing with problems. I know what you mean turning down work but it's just part of having 1 truck.