Grout won’t clean!!! | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Grout won’t clean!!!

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Update: Ended up getting it cleaned. Had to use acid and scrub it by hand with a wire brush with a lot of elbow grease, then hit it with the spinner. Should've charged them double but earned a lot of knowledge.
lol good thing you didn't try too charge double was on you

lvtandg

KING of Tile and Grout Cleaning
Apr 16, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
www.lasvegastileandgroutcleaning.com
Real Name
Michael Marcus
Business Location
United States
Who knows what’s happened? Your clients forget what they did, and lie as well...there are so many different scenarios of what could, would and should happen...consistent even tile and grout cleaning is not a guarantee...prepare your clients before you start your job. That looks like a commercial floor as well...if so cleaning service and heavy traffic may be to blame for the grout discoloration...good luck!

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Update: Ended up getting it cleaned. Had to use acid and scrub it by hand with a wire brush with a lot of elbow grease, then hit it with the spinner. Should've charged them double but earned a lot of knowledge.
You can get a wire brush with a full broom type handle at Interlink for next go around.

Genoa2878

Jul 10, 2018
Real Name
Anthony quattropani
The grout looks discolored from a previous acid cleaning. I'm in southern az and I run into this problem very often. What I have found is that all but 2 companies in my area use an acid wash to clean tile and grout, then they paint the grout telling the customer they are sealing it. All around wrong. Grout should be sealed with a clear stone impregnator and cleaned with a neutral cleaner. If it's not the grout will always be discolored.

Genoa2878

Jul 10, 2018
Real Name
Anthony quattropani
Never, never use an acid cleaner on tile and grout. This causes permanent discoloration, etching and weakening of the grout. You are doing a disservice to your customer and charging them for inferior work. Interlinks viper venom grout cleaner works great, and stay away from topical and colored sealers.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
Never, never use an acid cleaner on tile and grout. This causes permanent discoloration, etching and weakening of the grout. You are doing a disservice to your customer and charging them for inferior work. Interlinks viper venom grout cleaner works great, and stay away from topical and colored sealers.
agre3e with the no acid deal.....

too many things can go wrong.....it can slope down and puddle and destroy some grout......

I use robs GM works great cuts out the risk of an acid......

Reactions: Genoa2878

OneBlueSummer

Sep 30, 2012
Real Name
Charlie King
My vote is Sharppie Marker, also I bet the only reason it came out was you were removing grout with the wire brush. Pick up some acetone and keep on the truck for when this happens again.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
You’ve already cleaned those black grout lines with alkaline and acid cleaners and they are staying jet black like that? This makes me think of a job I did in the past.

I did a job one time in a million dollar house where the customer had several tiles replaced. There was a tile here and a tile there, probably about a dozen tiles throughout the house.

Well, when the contractor replaced the tiles he matched up the grout with the surrounding dirty grout. The grout was black so the contractor used black grout.

Fast forward to my arrival. I’m cleaning the tile and the grout is coming out beautifully. The grout was turning from black to white. Then I came to a tile that had been replaced. Of course the black grout stayed black. The customer wasn’t home unfortunately so I just kept going. When she got home she saw the dozen or so tiles with the black grout that stood out like a sore thumb. She was pissed at me and asked what I had done? She said I ruined her floor. I showed her how the guy had used black grout when he replaced the tile. She was still pissed at me and refused to pay. I even offered to put color seal on just those tiles but she wanted nothing to do with color seal.

Sorry to ramble on but my thinking is maybe some of the tiles have been replaced on the floor you are working on and the grout is actually black grout in the picture.
I hope you received some compensation