Grout turned white | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Grout turned white

JDinAZ

Oct 26, 2018
Real Name
Josh DiGiovanni
Went to a job today, business as usual. tiles were substantially dirty and it came out great but as it started to dry, the grout formed a white residue..i used an alkaline cleaner (grout master).. this has never happened to me before. I am not sure how to rectify it... acidic cleaner? neutral cleaner?.. i told her i stand behind my work and i would go back if it didnt subside.. but not sure whats going on.. any suggestions?

sunrisecarpet951

Apr 9, 2016
Real Name
Allan
I’ve noticed if GM is mixed with too hot of water it’ll haze a little white. I would just go over it again with GM just don’t mix as hot and rinse really well

Reactions: JDinAZ

JDinAZ

Oct 26, 2018
Real Name
Josh DiGiovanni
I’ve noticed if GM is mixed with too hot of water it’ll haze a little white. I would just go over it again with GM just don’t mix as hot and rinse really well
Agree I have learned that the hard way.. it wasn't a haze on the tiles.. it's A literal white film on just the grout... my machine and tools are clean.. Its never happened to me before

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Sometimes if theres been recent construction the dust can cause that, I believe it's from the gypsum

Reactions: Tcoulter

SMCommerical

Feb 8, 2018
Real Name
Mike C
Was the floor neutral when you left it? One of my techs had the same issue, but that is because the floor was not rinse properly and the next day the customer said there is white residue all over their floor on the edges/corners (which employees tend to not rinse as good)

Tcoulter

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter
I've seen some white stuff in grout that I have cleaned recently. Although I usually notice it BEFORE I start cleaning. Not sure what it is. Sometimes it's from construction debris. Either way, I've noticed the best thing is to go very very slow when rinsing with spinner or gecko. Like, way slower than you think you should. When I am using my spinner on really dirty tile and grout it's very easy to know how fast I should go. But when you have that white residue issue, it is much harder to see when it is wet, so I go about 50% of usual cleaning speed just to make sure it is all rinsed properly. It's kind of a pain in the ass, but that's what I did on my last job that had a lot of white residue from construction, and it turned out great. If you go too quickly, you can also have problems with the spinner making little "clean lines" in the grout.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
When you go back check for efflorescence.
Take some acid and if it fizzes then that's efflorescence.
Take an alcohol glass cleaner too and if it's GM haze that will clean it off.
A small area can be cleaned by spraying and wiping with a towel.
Large areas, just reclean

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
GM will do that when mixed too strong or too hot, or when not rinsed well enough.. like possibly you had detergent still in your solution line when you cleaned the tile/grout.

try to clear your lines before doing hard surfaces, we usually shut the rinse off a couple rooms before moving to tile/grout if doing carpets first.

also on carpet jobs.. 1/2 way through last room we go out to the truck and shut the heat off (fuel fired) also shut the rinse off to let the lines clear... that way if the next job is not carpets its ready to go.

Reactions: sbsscn