Grout issues

Aug 28, 2018
63
38
18
Real Name
Bruce wayne
I’ve cleaned a lot of tile and grout and never have never ran into this

First I used groutmaster job came out poor and some grout lines that were previously not dark dried dark

Then I came back to fix it this time using a different alkaline and then rinse thoroughly
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
then treat all grout with acid and dried with fans

98% came out like new then the other 2% dried dark again

These grout lines were not dark before

I inspected for breaks and cracks or other problems the grout is 1 yr old and had built in sealer

I left a fan on it on high for 4 hours

Came back same situation recleaned by hand still dried dark or wet looking

It’s not only by the oven it’s in random spots

Any thoughts
 

Joshua Johnson

Active Member
Sep 7, 2013
111
75
28
47
I’ve cleaned a lot of tile and grout and never have never ran into this

First I used groutmaster job came out poor and some grout lines that were previously not dark dried dark

Then I came back to fix it this time using a different alkaline and then rinse thoroughlyView attachment 83755View attachment 83756 then treat all grout with acid and dried with fans

98% came out like new then the other 2% dried dark again

These grout lines were not dark before

I inspected for breaks and cracks or other problems the grout is 1 yr old and had built in sealer

I left a fan on it on high for 4 hours

Came back same situation recleaned by hand still dried dark or wet looking

It’s not only by the oven it’s in random spots

Any thoughts
Is the grout uniform in depth? It almost looks like the dark spots are deeper than the lighter areas. Hard to tell by the photos.

Why four hours of air movement? Couldn't have been wet that long, right?
 

Rick F

Well-Known Member
Apr 27, 2011
1,541
316
83
new york
Real Name
richard fall
Business Location
United States
When grout is bad it takes long to dry!
 

crash1big

Well-Known Member
Mar 18, 2011
4,258
2,001
113
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
Nothing you did. It could be stained or it was a bad mix from the beginning. Some installers don't "slake" the grout and it can leave splotchy areas. You did't see it before because it was hazed over.
Might try some color match on the dark areas.
 
Aug 28, 2018
63
38
18
Real Name
Bruce wayne
Is the grout uniform in depth? It almost looks like the dark spots are deeper than the lighter areas. Hard to tell by the photos.

Why four hours of air movement? Couldn't have been wet that long, right?
No i just wanted everyone to know it was as dry as possible
 
Aug 28, 2018
63
38
18
Real Name
Bruce wayne
Ya it’s weird

It just dries bad in some areas I fixed other areas but no luck

I think it has something to do with the grout having sealer already mixed in not sure though

I’m going to try and use just acid again today
 

ACP

Well-Known Member
Apr 9, 2014
3,259
2,233
113
35
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Joints are very tight with those wood look tiles and installers many times dont force the grout into the gaps well enough so it comes out uneven looking.

Pretty common