Green Glides, a review | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Green Glides, a review

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
I received my Green Glides glides well over a year ago, and so this review is way past due, but I had some inner resistance to the used of glides.
You see, when I first started cleaning carpets, way back in the 70's, I cleaned mostly sculpted carpets, using a Steemex Machine with a clear plexytube wand with an alloy head of some sort, I was a buff young eager beaver, who felt he had to dig that dirt out with massive effort and resistance.
I liked feeling the wand dig into the pile, and it made me feel like I was cleaning deep down into the carpet fibers.
I literally snapped a couple of those plexi wands digging too hard on thicker pile.
Well, fast forward to 2011, when I get back into carpet cleaning, and I still feel like I need to dig into to get it clean.
So, when Lisa form Green Glides sent me a set of glides on her ever so generous free glides to old guys program, I was a little skeptical.
I was afraid that using glides would compromise my cleaning power, something I'm pretty anal about.
But I reluctantly decided to give them a tryout, and I'm glad I did.

Installation was pretty simple and straightforward, just make certain they are facing the right direction, and I used a heavy rubber mallet to tap them into place.
It's really impressive how much easier it is on the body, shoulders and back cleaning with a glided wand.
I often clean one handed, and on bigger commercial jobs, I'll switch from right to left hand, with ease, giving the right arm a chance to rest.
I've had it well over a year now, and I can finally say, I wouldn't be without them now.
In fact, that fact has been driven home since I got a truckmount with a 13" wand in January, and it's been kicking my old ass ever since.
It's a heavier wand, (about 3 pounds heavier) with no glide, and super suction and airflow clamping the wand down to the floor like a madman!
I'm finally to the point of surrendering and getting some glides for the new wand too.
So, thank you Lisa from Green Glides for sending me those glides, I'm finally a true believer!!
Some of us are more stuck in our ways than others, but you can teach an old dog new tricks, it just takes longer! lol
Oh, yeah, I forgot a link.

http://www.greenglides.com/

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I received my Green Glides glides well over a year ago, and so this review is way past due, but I had some inner resistance to the used of glides.
You see, when I first started cleaning carpets, way back in the 70's, I cleaned mostly sculpted carpets, using a Steemex Machine with a clear plexytube wand with an alloy head of some sort, I was a buff young eager beaver, who felt he had to dig that dirt out with massive effort and resistance.
I liked feeling the wand dig into the pile, and it made me feel like I was cleaning deep down into the carpet fibers.
I literally snapped a couple of those plexi wands digging too hard on thicker pile.
Well, fast forward to 2011, when I get back into carpet cleaning, and I still feel like I need to dig into to get it clean.
So, when Lisa form Green Glides sent me a set of glides on her ever so generous free glides to old guys program, I was a little skeptical.
I was afraid that using glides would compromise my cleaning power, something I'm pretty anal about.
But I reluctantly decided to give them a tryout, and I'm glad I did.

Installation was pretty simple and straightforward, just make certain they are facing the right direction, and I used a heavy rubber mallet to tap them into place.
It's really impressive how much easier it is on the body, shoulders and back cleaning with a glided wand.
I often clean one handed, and on bigger commercial jobs, I'll switch from right to left hand, with ease, giving the right arm a chance to rest.
I've had it well over a year now, and I can finally say, I wouldn't be without them now.
In fact, that fact has been driven home since I got a truckmount with a 13" wand in January, and it's been kicking my old ass ever since.
It's a heavier wand, (about 3 pounds heavier) with no glide, and super suction and airflow clamping the wand down to the floor like a madman!
I'm finally to the point of surrendering and getting some glides for the new wand too.
So, thank you Lisa from Green Glides for sending me those glides, I'm finally a true believer!!
Some of us are more stuck in our ways than others, but you can teach an old dog new tricks, it just takes longer! lol
Oh, yeah, I forgot a link.

http://www.greenglides.com/
Why don't you get them to make you some glides for that wand? I'm pretty sure they can. Won't hurt to ask anyway. It took me a while to get accustomed to a 2 inch wand. I had only used 1.5 inch tubes with 12 inch wide vacuum slot since 1987. My old wand was like 7 lbs. and comparatively speaking felt light as a feather compared to my 2 inch wands and it didn't even have a glide on it. Sometimes I use about a 6 ft., 1.5 inch hose to the wand, but most often just 2 inch all the way to the wand. A lighter vacuum hose can make some difference too. Some hoses are just too heavy and not flexible enough to use all the way to the wand. Btw, if you haven't got any type of rotary extractor I'd put that on your list of must haves. If I go into a job that I know is going to kick my behind wanding the RX-20 is going in with me. Makes a world of difference on lots of jobs and tons of difference in how you will feel at the end of the day.

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
Why don't you get them to make you some glides for that wand? I'm pretty sure they can. Won't hurt to ask anyway. It took me a while to get accustomed to a 2 inch wand. I had only used 1.5 inch tubes with 12 inch wide vacuum slot since 1987. My old wand was like 7 lbs. and comparatively speaking felt light as a feather compared to my 2 inch wands and it didn't even have a glide on it. Sometimes I use about a 6 ft., 1.5 inch hose to the wand, but most often just 2 inch all the way to the wand. A lighter vacuum hose can make some difference too. Some hoses are just too heavy and not flexible enough to use all the way to the wand. Btw, if you haven't got any type of rotary extractor I'd put that on your list of must haves. If I go into a job that I know is going to kick my behind wanding the RX-20 is going in with me. Makes a world of difference on lots of jobs and tons of difference in how you will feel at the end of the day.
Yeah, I'm going to look into a glide for it.
I just made up an 1 1/2" by 6 foot leader hose to connect to the wand today, but the combination of a 3 pound heavier wand, 2" stiff hose, and far greater suction with no glide kicks the crap out of me.
I literally get twice as tired than I did with a porty, even carrying buckets of water back and forth.
It's a huge difference.
I also plan on getting a lighter 14" wand too tho.
I think if I had an 8 pound, 14 inch wand with glides, I could live with a 2 inch hose to the wand.
I really like the additional air flow and suction.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I felt the same way when I got my glides. Glides themselves are great, don't get me wrong.

But after using them for about a year, I wasn't satisfied with the drying times I was getting. Plus, I had to hand tool around all the edges (extra time on hands and knees) You see, without a glide, I can get right up to the base trim where the homeowners vacuum does not get to.

So off came the glide, drying times and cleaning times were reduced. I may have gained a bit more muscle too. Don't mind the sweat as long as I'm happy with the job. Because if I'm happy, the customers happy. (good topic for another thread)

Qwikdry

Dec 2, 2012
Real Name
Russell
Business Location
United States
I felt the same way when I got my glides. Glides themselves are great, don't get me wrong.

But after using them for about a year, I wasn't satisfied with the drying times I was getting. Plus, I had to hand tool around all the edges (extra time on hands and knees) You see, without a glide, I can get right up to the base trim where the homeowners vacuum does not get to.

So off came the glide, drying times and cleaning times were reduced. I may have gained a bit more muscle too. Don't mind the sweat as long as I'm happy with the job. Because if I'm happy, the customers happy. (good topic for another thread)
i agree. without a glide i get better dry times and better cleaning. glides suck

Reactions: ronman

Lefty724

Oct 21, 2008
Salad Bowl, Cali
Real Name
E
Business Location
United States
I'm with the OP here.

I absolutely love my glides and would never be without them. I've only been cleaning since 2009, but have only used non-glided wand maybe twice lol.

I've never even compared dry times, but always use dri-pods and omni's to help drying times. As posted above, I'll pull out the rotary on really bad jobs.

My energy level and efficiency is more important than a non-glided wand sucking down to the carpet and edge cleaning. Glides help me go faster with less fatigue at the end of the day. Heck, it's even easier to do an extra dry pass with a glide.

I give you non glided guys props! Keep rockin man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
We love glides however over recent years we have converted all our wands to back lip glide on our PC Ti wands. Nice happy medium for us

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

TopJobROd

Apr 11, 2013
Des Moines Iowa
Real Name
Rod Snyder
Business Location
United States
Glides, no glides, both have their purpose and advantages. I have all three types of glides, perforated, slotted, and hybrid. I never use my slotted unless I am drying a tile floor that I have just cleaned. My favorite for better dry times was the perforated, I modified it by drilling all the holes using a countersink bit so that they are graduated and then I drilled a 5'16th inch hole at the outside of each edge, I can suck up a lot of small debris along the edges of baseboards and paperdots etc on commercial jobs. I wore that glide out and now am using a hybrid (oval perforations) all the way across and am happy with having made no mods. Sometime on jobs with poly plush I strip off the glide just for better pilation but as was said earlier, kudos to you brutes who wand all day without glides!

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
We love glides however over recent years we have converted all our wands to back lip glide on our PC Ti wands. Nice happy medium for us

do they make a lip glide for a Prochem Trijet wand? It has a bar in the middle of the slot - don't know if that would interfere. I can post a picture if needed.

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States

What is it that you prefer about a back lip glide Rob?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
do they make a lip glide for a Prochem Trijet wand? It has a bar in the middle of the slot - don't know if that would interfere. I can post a picture if needed.
Please post a pic though I'm pretty certain then divider is about 1/2" inside the wand.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
What is it that you prefer about a back lip glide Rob?
Retains maximum amount lift coupled with a decent amount ease of use. Of course holed are easiest to push and have most velocity. If one prevac'd like crazy, mechanically agitates their prespray them holes are ok. If you light vac and use a rake go slotted or lip glide. Not a fan of hybrids but I do like the size of hybrid slots and would think it be cool if they used those all the way across a glide.

TruGlide

Apr 29, 2016
Real Name
Jordan Meyer
Hi! I'm with TruGlide. We specialize in wand specific glides at an affordable price. We machine in house, so by taking out the middle man we pass the savings along to our customers. Check us out sometime! tru-glide.com