Great Stuff removal??

Discussion in 'General Carpet Cleaning & Upholstery Discussion' started by Revive Coatings, Oct 14, 2012.

1. TanuSilvester

TanuSilvester New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Female
    Business
    Irvine
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Todd, I think I should try your tips, seems like it would work. Thanks in advance.

2. Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor
    Premium VIP

Feb 14, 2006
    Technical support Bridgepoint
    West Jordan, UT
    Ratings:
    +9,661 / 11 / -1
    I have not found any solvents that dissolve Great Stuff. Chip off as much as you can and if it is a cut-pile carpet, use the scissors. Scissors not suggested for loop carpet.

The other choice is to do a bonded insert. Some guys can do these really quick.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. AdmiralClean

AdmiralClean Poster
    Premium VIP

Mar 13, 2007
    Alabama
    Ratings:
    +3,250 / 110 / -8
    And it takes some guy forever and it still ends up looking like crap.
    :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.

Apr 25, 2011
    Male
    Owner/Operator
    San Pedro, Ca
    Ratings:
    +17,189 / 130 / -0
    Bonded inserts, got to learn how to do these one day.

5. yeshuaisiam

yeshuaisiam Active Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    If its embedded forget it. It AIN'T COMING OUT. You can barely wash that stuff off your hands. It's tougher than roof tar to get off. Hopefully it's just some foam "logs" on top, in that case I'd go under it with a razor and try to scrape it. If its smashed in, walk away an tell the custy "it WILL NOT COME OUT".

I've scrubbed my hands with gas, turpentine, kerosene, lye soap, fast orange, and even rubbed them with sand paper for a bit. Still embeds. Just have to wait for skin layers to shed I guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Johnny Bravo

Apr 25, 2011
    Male
    Owner/Operator
    San Pedro, Ca
    Ratings:
    +17,189 / 130 / -0
    Pinosan, I think this stuff is what you and I ran into at the flood job I got from the plumber.

Above is what I'm referring to.

7. Pinosan

Premium VIP

Nov 22, 2011
    Male
    Owner/operator Carpet cleaning Tech
    California
    Ratings:
    +7,747 / 42 / -0
    time for a bonded insert done deal better pay

8. Pinosan

Premium VIP

Nov 22, 2011
    Male
    Owner/operator Carpet cleaning Tech
    California
    Ratings:
    +7,747 / 42 / -0
    may be but it aint coming out unless,..... read above

9. Brian_g

Brian_g Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Male
    Ratings:
    +466 / 2 / -0
    I've been thinking about it and I'm wondering if I just got lucky when I got it out. The spots were heavily walked on and that may have broken it down. Great Stuff isn't Styrofoam; it's a polyurethane based foam. There are solvents used in industry to remove polyurethane foam. But I don't know if they are safe for carpet. Here are some examples
    http://www.culver-international-ltd.com/removal_of_urethanes-05.htm

I've looked at several and the theme seems to be they are recommended for nylon and polyethylene but not for polyester and PET. Aren't some carpets made out of PET and polyester? Some of these industrial products are designed to replace MEK and Methyl Chloride. Torrey mentioned that he's had success with PVC cleaner on paint. The active ingredient is MEK, so I wonder if that may be an option. The big question for me is what is safe to use on carpet. Carpet is pretty tough, but when your talking about something that can break down polyurethane, we're not messing around anymore. We need a solvent that can target one polymer, but leave in tact any polymer that might be found in carpet.

I just spray a carpet sample with some Great Stuff, so I'm going to do some experimenting.

It's not rocket surgery.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Brian_g

Jun 1, 2012
    Male
    Ratings:
    +466 / 2 / -0
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor
    Premium VIP

Feb 14, 2006
    West Jordan, UT
    Ratings:
    +9,661 / 11 / -1
    An excellent experiment. If possible, you might want to try on a few different carpet fibers including nylon, olefin, polyester / PET and the newer PTT / Triexta.

Send me your mailing info and I can provide a few small pieces of carpet and some solvents to try.

• Like Like x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Brian_g

Jun 1, 2012
    Male
    Ratings:
    +466 / 2 / -0
    Do you know how to do a fiber test to determine if a carpet is polyester / PET?

13. Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor
    Premium VIP

Feb 14, 2006
    West Jordan, UT
    Ratings:
    +9,661 / 11 / -1
    Here is a burn test flow chart I designed to help ID fibers. Polyester is rather easy to spot. The one that gives me (and others) the most trouble is telling nylon from olefin. The biggest difference is the odor and I don't have a great sense of smell. So I often go to a chemical test for those two fibers.

Attached Files:

14. Rick J

Rick J Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +566 / 4 / -0
    I always was under the assumption that nylon sinks, olefin floats. You just need to make sure you have JUST the face fibers. Be sure not to get backing adhesives etc.
    Is this not so, Scott?

And, as well when doing chemical tests, using formic acid to test if nylon, I've had some melt quickly, so there is no question. But I've also had many melt very slowly, or only partially. so then I'm unsure. maybe a blend? Do some nylons respond differently?

15. Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor
    Premium VIP

Feb 14, 2006
    West Jordan, UT
    Ratings:
    +9,661 / 11 / -1
    Correct about the float test. Be sure that there is no air bubbles trapped in the fibers or that would also make them float. I rub fibers between my fingers under the water for a few seconds.

Nylon will melt with formic acid and should melt pretty quickly. Olefin will not melt. Part of a blended fiber will melt leaving the non-nylon portion behind and unaffected.

16. Revive Coatings

Revive Coatings New Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Male
    PA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Wow, I have only been on this board for a few weeks and the support on here is fantastic! I would like to see the results of your tests Brian. Keep the responses coming.

17. rstrick

rstrick Active Member

Mar 30, 2011
    owner/operator
    NC
    Ratings:
    +282 / 2 / -0
    That's me all the way fels in the back pocket and duck bill scissors in the belt. 90% of all spots never stand a chance.

18. Johnny Bravo

Apr 25, 2011
    Male
    Owner/Operator
    San Pedro, Ca
    Ratings:
    +17,189 / 130 / -0
    And if they do, the scissors gets them.

19. jeffk734

jeffk734 Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Male
    Owner Operator