Great Stuff removal??

Discussion in 'General Carpet Cleaning & Upholstery Discussion' started by Revive Coatings, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Revive Coatings

Revive Coatings New Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Male
    PA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    OK everyone, I am still a rookie and was talking to a friend of mine today about my services. He asked me if there is any way to remove Great Stuff (expanding spray foam insulation) out of carpet. I know this stuff is a pain just to get off of my hands, so I would imagine it is nearly impossible to remove from carpet, but I figured I would ask the experts on here to get your feed back. Thanks in advance!
    Jon

2. Todd the Cleaner

Todd the Cleaner Todd Cottino
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Premium VIP

Sep 4, 2011
    Male
    Owner / Operator
    Pahrump, Nevada, United States
    Ratings:
    +24,722 / 56 / -0
    Let the great stuff completely cure for 24 hours and then take a hammer and beat it and try to break it down as much as you can and vacuum away all you can break off. The more you can remove with the hammer and vacuum the better. After that I would try some odorless mineral spirits(OMS). I got some OMS on some styrofoam before and the styrofoam just disintegrated. It may or may not work on great stuff but it is somewhere to start. I would saturate a white towel with OMS and lay it on the great stuff for 10-15 minutes and then see what happens. Do not dump OMS right on the carpet as it can damage the glues holding the carpet together and cause delamination.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Revive Coatings

Sep 18, 2012
    Male
    PA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Todd! It has been there for a few months so it is good and cured. I will give the hammer and OMS a shot and report back.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Todd the Cleaner

Todd the Cleaner Todd Cottino
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Premium VIP

Sep 4, 2011
    Male
    Owner / Operator
    Pahrump, Nevada, United States
    Ratings:
    +24,722 / 56 / -0
    Please do let us know how it turns out, I have never had to deal with this one...it is just an educated guess and what I would try if I had to deal with it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Tron

Tron Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Male
    Supply
    Ratings:
    +5,707 / 53 / -14
    Scissors...

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Revive Coatings

Sep 18, 2012
    Male
    PA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Will do, it might be a little while since he lives quite far from me, but I have it on my list so I can add it to my cheat sheet.

7. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.

Apr 25, 2011
    Male
    Owner/Operator
    San Pedro, Ca
    Ratings:
    +17,189 / 130 / -0
    I've done that before on spots I couldn't get out.

8. Tron

Tron Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Male
    Supply
    Ratings:
    +5,707 / 53 / -14
    Seriously.

I don't work without a fels bar and scissors on my hip in a cell phone holster.

Even Steve T said that scissors are your best friend!

Scrape out edges, clip out junk, unclog glides etc etc

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blacktiedetailing

Blacktiedetailing www.crsurfacecare.com
    Premium VIP

Mar 30, 2011
    Male
    Carpet guy trying to become a stone guy
    Las Vegas
    Ratings:
    +5,501 / 13 / -0
    Slide a recliner over it...

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. AdmiralClean

AdmiralClean Poster
    Premium VIP

Mar 13, 2007
    Alabama
    Ratings:
    +3,250 / 110 / -8
    I usually have my cell phone in the cell phone holder and the fels liquified in a squirt bottle. I don't have patches or tool belt on either. :rolleyes:

11. Tron

Tron Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Male
    Supply
    Ratings:
    +5,707 / 53 / -14
    So you don't like the idea of having a fels bar in a little cell phone holster?
    Scissors also hang right off the side, works really well.

I've always thought about doing the liquid fels thing. How do you do it?

12. Brian_g

Brian_g Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Male
    Ratings:
    +466 / 2 / -0
    I've been able to get it out before. I used two different products, (I have to check to see which ones). I agitated with a bone spatula and extracted with an upholstery tool. It doesn't really dissolve, but with solvents and agitation it will break it loose from the carpet allowing it to be extracted.

13. AdmiralClean

AdmiralClean Poster
    Premium VIP

Mar 13, 2007
    Alabama
    Ratings:
    +3,250 / 110 / -8
    I was just ribbing you. You remind me of Lonnie McDonald. He's an old low moisture cleaner that used to have a bunch of tools, a couple of cell phones and a hammer on his side everywhere he went. Plus, he had patches all up and down his sleeve and a CB radio in his van.

As for the Fels ... I keep a cheese grator on my truck and just grate a handful of it up and throw it in a 32 oz spray bottle. Then I mix in some super hot water from my TM and shake it up. You porty hacks may have a hard time finding hot water though. Sorry ...

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Tron

Tron Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Male
    Supply
    Ratings:
    +5,707 / 53 / -14
    lol.

Just a actual cell phone on the right side and a fels and scissors on the left. That's it.

I once cut a fels bar in half and dropped the whole thing in the hydro force, it was interesting.

PS, you remind me of a friend of mine who owns a ranch in Alabama. He's super country. In Mexico last year me and his nephew finished a giant plate of hot wings and he grabbed it and said "you boys are leaving too much meat on them bones!" And then chewed all the nasty cartilage and crud off them! Gross!

Then he paid for the whole meal with his black card, super rich but you'd never know it..

15. tom patnode

Premium VIP

Jun 8, 2008
    San Diego
    Ratings:
    +3,771 / 14 / -0
    Next time I get that stuff on my hand I will wait a day and get out a hammer. I will have to report back how it works

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.

Apr 25, 2011
    Male
    Owner/Operator
    San Pedro, Ca
    Ratings:
    +17,189 / 130 / -0
    Except for the porty guys that have LGs, and diesel burners, so no need to be sorry for me.:p

17. whoises1

whoises1 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Male
    carpet cleaning business owner
    203 n wilson ave jefferson, wisconsin
    Ratings:
    +691 / 7 / -0
    screw it use the scissors or like todd said beat the homeowner with a hammer for getting that stuff on the carpet:eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. tom patnode

Premium VIP

Jun 8, 2008
    San Diego
    Ratings:
    +3,771 / 14 / -0
    Carefull! I can barely type with this stupid swollen finger from taking Todds advice

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. tom patnode

Premium VIP

Jun 8, 2008
    San Diego
    Ratings:
    +3,771 / 14 / -0
    ok I will try to be serious for a minute. Citrus solvents will desolve styrofoam so I would try a solvent on it. See of it reacts the same on expanding foam

20. Brian_g

Brian_g Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Male
    Ratings:
    +466 / 2 / -0

In my experience this stuff is pretty resistant to solvents. It's not like regular styrofoam. I have been able to successfully remove it from carpet. If my memory serves, I used Matrix POG and Matrix Spot Out. I don't know why Spot Out helped, but it seemed to. I agitated the area with a bone spatula and extracted with an upholstery tool. It didn't exactly dissolve, but it did break into smaller pieces that released from the carpet fibers. I think in this case your actually breaking the adhesive bond between the foam and the carpet rather then dissolving the foam.