Direct Mail EDDM - Great Piece of Info On EDDM vs Other Types of Mailings | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Direct Mail EDDM Great Piece of Info On EDDM vs Other Types of Mailings

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
Why is a super large postcard better than most of the other crap that comes in the mail?:

report from the ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY regarding junk mail in this country's landfills? Well they (the EPA) monitor the contents of landfills. They have people sifting through the garbage in biohazard suits. What they have documented was 44% of all junk mail in landfills is "sealed, unopened, and in pristine condition". Obviously never read and trashed by the public.
So - if you spent $1000 on 100,000 homes with those other guys ,,,, $440 is thrown in the trash because 44,000 homes WILL TRASH envelopes and magazines.

Reactions: matt30577

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
Why is a super large postcard better than most of the other crap that comes in the mail?:

report from the ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY regarding junk mail in this country's landfills? Well they (the EPA) monitor the contents of landfills. They have people sifting through the garbage in biohazard suits. What they have documented was 44% of all junk mail in landfills is "sealed, unopened, and in pristine condition". Obviously never read and trashed by the public.
So - if you spent $1000 on 100,000 homes with those other guys ,,,, $440 is thrown in the trash because 44,000 homes WILL TRASH envelopes and magazines.
Using your numbers, $1000 divided by 100K homes = 1 cent per home....in all fairness, my Val Pak contract has me at 1.8 cents per house hold due to the volume I advertise in.

Most EDDM ads are gonna cost 35 cents to the door (printing and mailing).

You starting to do the math yet.
Eddm is looking really expensive right now

100 customers with Val Pak costs $1.80, yes One dollar and eighty cents. So according to this study, which seems fairly conservative to me as I would expect the number to be closer to 70%, only 65 customers will actually see my ad, if even for a millisecond.

So for $1.80 I got my message to 65 people according to the study you cited.

now lets look at EDDM.

How much is it gonna cost to get your message (Postcard) to 65 homes????
Lets go with $.35 cents which will include design/printing and postage.
.35 x 65 people ( assuming 100% will read your postcard which is unrealistic) will cost you $22.75.

So EDDM is a looser in this case.

Response rate is where EDDM may, and I underscore may have an advantage. I am still not sold on that as of yet. It must be compared on a cost to acquire customer basis and I have not seen any cleaner that does any real volume compare traditional print ads to EDDM on a pure dollar for dollar cost to acquire a new customer basis.

Just some thoughts............

Last edited:

suncarpet

Staff member
Premium VIP
Jul 18, 2013
Bakersfield ca
www.suncarpet.net
Real Name
Rob mueller
Business Location
United States

Unfortunately that's the nature of the beast... I'm not a tree hugger so it's not a big deal to me... Don't want to knowingly trash the environment but I got to make a living EDDM still shows me a valuable return...

Rob Mueller, aka Mr. Sun

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
Unfortunately that's the nature of the beast... I'm not a tree hugger so it's not a big deal to me... Don't want to knowingly trash the environment but I got to make a living EDDM still shows me a valuable return...

Rob Mueller, aka Mr. Sun
paper recycles itself. I could care less about the paper I waste.
That is except the green paper $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That sucks to waste on bad advertising of any kind

Reactions: suncarpet

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
The reason I like the huge postcards (doesn't really matter how they get delivered so maybe I should have titled my post "huge postcards" instead of EDDM) is that they get seen even on the way to the trash. A nice big glossy over sized postcard gets noticed. I know lots of guys do well with Valpak (I never had any luck with them or the big coupon mags). So - even if they are more costly they may (and I say say may because you just never know) pull a better ROI. I will post a sample of one that does well that was sent to me - it is huge and the nice thing about these is that many times they end up being wrapped around all the mail to fit them in the box.

Attachments