Grass Seeds in Carpet

Ryanwinter

Nov 25, 2018
Real Name
Ryan Winter
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone can help me out. I have searched all over google and the forum but can't find a single article/post about it. Does anyone know if there is a easier way of getting grass seeds out of carpet rather than picking them out by hand? I done a farmhouse today and the carpet was grass seeds galore took 2 hours on my hands and knees pulling them out by hand. There has to be a better way surely?

Regards,
Ryan

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
If it’s rye grass it will look great in Winter

Allied

Life is good!
Premium VIP
Jun 18, 2013
Down Yonder
Real Name
Simon Bolivar
Business Location
United States
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone can help me out. I have searched all over google and the forum but can't find a single article/post about it. Does anyone know if there is a easier way of getting grass seeds out of carpet rather than picking them out by hand? I done a farmhouse today and the carpet was grass seeds galore took 2 hours on my hands and knees pulling them out by hand. There has to be a better way surely?

Regards,
Ryan
Hey where are you located? I maybe able to help.

Ryanwinter

Nov 25, 2018
Real Name
Ryan Winter
Sorry, i believe that i may have used the incorrect term. I am not referring to a seed that you plant in the ground. After google searching i believe that the correct term is barley seed head, the spikey things that get caught in material. In Australia (where i am located) they are just referred to as grass seeds. I obviously had tried to vacuum and that had picked up alot of them. The ones i was referring to in my question were not just sitting on top of the carpet. They had over time with plenty of neglect been walked around and worked into the carpet. The carpet was loop pile and with the grass seeds (barley seed heads), once they start going in you have to keep pulling them through the same direction due to them being arrow shaped. Picture putting a fishing hook through the carpet pile and trying to pull it back out the way it started going in, due to the structure of the hook it's designed not to come out... the grass seeds are the same... they were a pain to pull out by hand as they were that worked in... the vacuum i used is a commercial one with a motorised head so it's a decent vacuum.. but i don't think any vacuum no matter how good would be able to get the grass seeds out that i had to do by hand.. my question was not posted for people to take as a joke.. i am new to the carpet cleaning industry (done it years ago but only recently decided to start my own business doing it) and thought maybe someone else may have had a similar encounter... obviously it's not going to be a common thing as most carpets getting cleaned wouldn't have grass seeds all through them... for all i knew there could be a machine out there or a certain procedure for removing grass seeds that i wasn't aware of. I appreciate the contributing comments that some have posted but unfortunately i don't think a vacuum would have helped in this situation.

Ryanwinter

Nov 25, 2018
Real Name
Ryan Winter
IF indeed this isnt a nonsense thread and you seriously have this problem then I could only suggest replacing the carpet. Seems to me you're trying put a band-aid on a bullet wound.

I don't have this problem now. It was in a house that i cleaned. It was just a matter of getting on my hands and knees and working them back out the carpet it just took ages and was a pain in the ass. The carpet come up nice in the end and I'm sure it's not a problem that would occur very often if it even did occur again but yea just was curious if anyone else had encountered it.