got out of the van this morning and was hit hard, but just kept going...

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
my garage is heated so the first exposure to the weather today was when I got out of the van this morning. Went to check my phone to see. No problem.
IMG_6383.PNG

Reactions: keep it clean

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
I don't know how you guys do it with Truck Mounts working in -13

I'm not leaving the house if it's -13.

Never gets below zero where I live

It hasn't been below 12 so far this year at night.

Mostly 20's-30's during the day

I skied at Killington Mtn. in Vermont one time and it was -15 or - 20. Something like that. It was many years ago.

Wind Chill temp was something like -50 or - 60 on the Mountain

Spent most of the day in the lodge trying to meet girls ... hahahaha !!!

Last edited:

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
actually, I dont change much with setup or takedown. The secret is
-having a drape cover the TM (hole cut out in front of the radiator area)
-covering all water supply lines to the TM with hose insulation
-covering the quick connect off the TM with hose insulation
-using a 110 ft continuous first line so no quick connects between TM and house
-using a Seal A Door to the outside and an inside door drape to keep the cold air out of the house.

The one thing that makes it hard to deal with the cold is walking in and out of the house, my glasses fog up every time I walk back inside.

Reactions: Sapphire Steamer

Sapphire Steamer

Feb 13, 2011
CA
Real Name
Bret Furtado
Business Location
United States
That's crazy your Titan will run in that cold, guess these things really are beasts. I didn't think carpet cleaners worked year round in areas that deal with snow and sub freezing temperatures. I guess you have to have a heated garage or run the risk of blowing your machine? Do you also cover the machine at night?

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
Do you also cover the machine at night?
When we downsized from doing Water and Fire Restoration to just me cleaning carpet we needed to get rid of the shop and buy a different house. The top *must have* in the house was that there was a floor drain in the garage LOL. Then we insulated it, added insulated doors and installed a heater which stays at 40 degrees at all times.

Wife loves the heated garage

IMG_0778.jpg
IMG_0780.jpg

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Kudos to you - I don't take my truck out when its 15 or below lol. Even with precautions I've had things freeze.
If it gets that cold around here it is barely likely I will get any calls at all unless it's pipe burst situation or some other emergency. I won't schedule a normal cleaning job that cold if I can help it. Not worth it to me. I've been asked to clean empty rentals w/o even the electric turned on before in sub-freezing temps. I won't do that again EVER. If they can't get the power and heat on I'm not coming out, period. My call volume typically goes way down especially in January and even more in February. Doesn't bother me in the least. February has been almost without fail my lowest income month of the year ever since I started cleaning.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
If it gets that cold around here it is barely likely I will get any calls at all unless it's pipe burst situation or some other emergency. I won't schedule a normal cleaning job that cold if I can help it. Not worth it to me. I've been asked to clean empty rentals w/o even the electric turned on before in sub-freezing temps. I won't do that again EVER. If they can't get the power and heat on I'm not coming out, period. My call volume typically goes way down especially in January and even more in February. Doesn't bother me in the least. February has been almost without fail my lowest income month of the year ever since I started cleaning.
What's interesting Randy is you and I are in the same state of Missouri but have opposite experiences. I don't know exactly why but my call volume usually doubles in February.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
What's interesting Randy is you and I are in the same state of Missouri but have opposite experiences. I don't know exactly why but my call volume usually doubles in February.
That has never happened to me even once since 1987 although I think I've had a very few at least near normal February's if the weather wasn't too bad. If it gets cold outside, specially if icy or snowy, call volume goes pretty near zero. Even around freezing with otherwise nothing else going on call volume drops dramatically. I don't see you getting double volume in February if you're considering all the months of the year so that sounds kind of weird to me. My double months are almost always somewhere around July to September. I have a couple of months during the year sometimes that I might get near double volume, but never in the winter months and February has been the low month since 1987 pretty consistently because that is when we normally get our worst and coldest weather and snow storms here almost without fail. Honestly I'd really hate to be doing double volume in February around here!

Last edited:

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
That has never happened to me even once since 1987 although I think I've had a very few at least near normal February's if the weather wasn't too bad. If it gets cold outside, specially if icy or snowy, call volume goes pretty near zero. Even around freezing with otherwise nothing else going on call volume drops dramatically. I don't see you getting double volume in February if you're considering all the months of the year so that sounds kind of weird to me. My double months are almost always somewhere around July to September. I have a couple of months during the year sometimes that I might get near double volume, but never in the winter months and February has been the low month since 1987 pretty consistently because that is when we normally get our worst and coldest weather and snow storms here almost without fail. Honestly I'd really hate to be doing double volume in February around here!
I'm really not joking you at all. My typical revenue in Jan is 10-12k, February for the last 3 years it has been 25k+

This year same thing, January 2022 11K - already have 6k booked for February and not even Feb yet lol.

That's partially what saved my ass in 2020 right before the lockdown was we had such a good Feb I paid ahead on all my loans/fixed bills for 3 months.