Got asked about rug doctors today. Think I handled it well.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
So I received a call today where the guy asked me about the equipment I am using. I told him I use the Nautilus MXE500 Portable Extractor and gave him my 30 - 45 second spiel about it and how it compares with the TM units to produce quality results. Part of that is mentioning the CRI Platinum rating. He then says "Rug Doctors have a Platinum rating too, so wouldn't I get the same results. It's the same rating."

Grrrrr....

My response. "That's true it does. But there are a couple things to keep in mind with that. First, it's not a machine made for deep cleaning. It's a maintenance cleaning machine. We used to run them once a week in the schools during the school year as part of our maintenance program and they did a great job. But when summer rolled around it was time for a deep clean, and the rug doctors stayed in the equipment room for that because they aren't designed for that kind of cleaning. Second, Rug Doctor is a professional grade machine and in the hands of a trained professional, it can produce very good results. The problem is, most people that rent Rug Doctors are not trained professionals, and a professional grade machine in the hands of a non professional the results can be poor, if not disastrous. It's the skill of the professional that produces the results, not the equipment he's using. If you are set on saving money and doing it yourself I'd suggest buying a bissel from Target or Walmart. It's a consumer grade machine, built for the skill level of the average consumer which means you're less likely to create a situation where you have to hire a professional who will likely have to charge you more to fix the problem than if you had hired him in the first place. Ultimately though, Rug Doctor, Bissle, all are good maintenance machines. They won't deep clean your carpet. And that's the service I'm offering. Professional deep cleaning."

Turns out he works for a rental company, they'll be keeping my info on file for future services.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
You handled it better than I would of, I might of spent 30 seconds explaining why and how it isn't comparable.
My first instinct was to tell him to give it a try and call me when he's ready to do it right and hang up. But I'm trying to be tactful.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
I do kind of feel that someone who would ask that probably isn't someone I want as a client. And I looked them up he's with one of the worst rated rental companies in town so I feel like he still might not be a client I want. But we'll see.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Tell him the rug doctor is a joy to use. Its so easy just fill a bucket and add to the convenient 3 gallon container base. Then do the corner of the room then dump it. Then refill again and do a few more feet then dump it and repeat at least 8 more times. Now your ready to do dry passes. And empty. Then dry pass and empty... :D

• Haha
Reactions: Robert86

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Tell him the rug doctor is a joy to use. Its so easy just fill a bucket and add to the convenient 3 gallon container base. Then do the corner of the room then dump it. Then refill again and do a few more feet then dump it and repeat at least 8 more times. Now your ready to do dry passes. And empty. Then dry pass and empty... :D
OMG! I hated that part of them! The ones we ran in the schools were bigger, little over 5 gallon capacity, and on that type of carpet we could get further with them, but yeah, sever refills per classroom. Thinking about it now too that is a ton of water. I bet I could do an average sized classroom with my nautilus and only use 6 gallons of water tops! And still get better results!

Reactions: keep it clean

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
OMG! I hated that part of them! The ones we ran in the schools were bigger, little over 5 gallon capacity, and on that type of carpet we could get further with them, but yeah, sever refills per classroom. Thinking about it now too that is a ton of water. I bet I could do an average sized classroom with my nautilus and only use 6 gallons of water tops! And still get better results!
Yep you can. Especially on glue down or carpet tile.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Thinking that would suck lol. Thats a long walk to the closet or bathroom in a school to dump that little bucket. Your shoes would have some miles on them by the end of that night.

beau

Jun 5, 2015
BC, Canada
Real Name
Beau Phipps
Business Location
Canada
I just explain to people that they're underpowered. Vacs too small. I get calls all the time for massive wick back jobs cause someone ran a rug doctor over a pee stain and drenched it out a few feet in all directions with sopping wet carpet. If they still insist on using a rug doctor I don't sweat it....theyll most likely end up calling me again afterwards lol.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
My little kid-sized Top Flite clubs are just fine when I'm enjoying a weekend of par 3 and mojitos. Doubt Mickelson used 'em though...

Different tools for different levels of professionalism. And different results.

Reactions: Robert86