Google scam fraud call | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Google scam fraud call

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
had a very interesting first warning was it was a British Columbia phone number, I am right next to the border so I do have many Canadian customers with boats and vacation homes down here,

Call starts out

Hello this is google and you have to renew your google account it has not been used in a long time

Thinking to myself Google never really calls????
I just got my December performance report you the one how many people found you how many clicked your website,

So I pretty much know nothing is wrong

The guy has a heavy East Indian accent, so I ask his name " my name is Steve Wilson" LOL

I said how do I know this is really google calling me " I AM TELLING YOU THAT THIS IS GOOGLE!"

So why are you calling with a British Columbia phone number and not one from California?

This is Google we need to send you a text and a confirmation code? Really, to keep your account current

OK I will get my manager on the phone to prove to you this is Google

I had this guy going THIS IS GOOGLE HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU THIS

So I asked him why does a guy with the name Steve Wilson has an East Indian accent???????

He says I am from New Zeland, I said wrong accent, Steve

I could see if I let them text me and all that I could have my account hijacked and them wanting money to restore it.

Reactions: wandwizard

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I don't know how many dozens upon dozens of those calls I've gotten. I never pick up the phone and let them go to voice mail. There are some of these creeps who are using phony names now and even getting local numbers so you think it might be a potential customer. I don't know how many numbers I've blocked, but usually, even that doesn't work anymore. They just switch to another number. I'm sure they're after personal information for identity theft or to get credit card info. If I don't trust them I don't talk to them. I'm pretty certain Google doesn't make any such call and I can go right online to see how my accounts doing.

Reactions: Odin

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
I don't know how many dozens upon dozens of those calls I've gotten. I never pick up the phone and let them go to voice mail. There are some of these creeps who are using phony names now and even getting local numbers so you think it might be a potential customer. I don't know how many numbers I've blocked, but usually, even that doesn't work anymore. They just switch to another number. I'm sure they're after personal information for identity theft or to get credit card info. If I don't trust them I don't talk to them. I'm pretty certain Google doesn't make any such call and I can go right online to see how my accounts doing.
I found the scam

it's an account take over then they use it for more fraud

Reactions: wandwizard

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I received a call very similar to yours just the other day. I think there scam also included getting me to pay $99 to keep my Google my business listing. They were telling me Google is now charging.

I ended it when they required money first. C ya.

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
I received a call very similar to yours just the other day. I think there scam also included getting me to pay $99 to keep my Google my business listing. They were telling me Google is now charging.

I ended it when they required money first. C ya.
was it a Patel on the phone?

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
this has ben going on for decades. no one in the gov does any thing about it except pass out more us tax payer money to foreign countries.

Last edited:

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
About 40 years ago, I used the phone book to call random numbers, I ask them if they had a favorite one digit number.
I thanked them and left then be.

I used the numbers to win a lottery. $5,500