Google Local Services is terri... Good. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Google Local Services is terri... Good.

SuckItUp

Jun 19, 2012
Clear Lake, TX
www.mean2clean.com
Real Name
Remington
Business Location
United States
This is more of a pay per call rant, but it seems to me as if Google has gone down hill lately.

The best results I've ever had with Google is doing my own SEO. Second to that is Google Local Service.

That being said, their "Google Local Service" service is designed to charge you for any and every lead possible if you say the wrong thing during the call.

If you mention a price or a service during a Google generated lead call, you get charged. Which is fine - That's the way it should be. But... When I'm getting calls from an entirely different state and still get charged? Lol.

If the potential customer says I'm in *insert my city name*, I'm going to assume it's also the same state.

Since this started happening, I've had to verify which state they're calling from if the area code they're calling from is unfamiliar to me because this has become somewhat frequent.

Another issue are late night calls after business hours. (Not a 24 hour company) It took me a few months to realize that Google doesn't turn your ads off after your businesses closing hours. You have to set up business hours just for your Google ads.

There's a bunch of other non-sense I've called Google to complain about, such ass... being butt dialed by a customer 3-4 times and being charged twice, but Google Local Service still generates a great ROI despite a lot of BS, so what can you do? ‍♂️

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I'm not sure what Local Services you're talking about - the Google Local Services I use doesn't charge me if the customer calls from the same number twice - in fact it lists it underneath their number as two separate recordings but the call isn't charged.

I think Local Services is great actually, strangely in my territory they don't charge me for Messages, like ever, even when I mark it as booked.

My ROI on Local Services is this: this is for 1/1/20-3/5/20 (I have some future jobs booked as well)

1583425122740.png

And this is how much I've spent on it

1583425188972.png

So $731 spent, and I've gotten $10,203

I'll take this all year long at this rate! That's a 7.7% marketing cost, which is PHENOMENAL honestly.

This isn't even taking consideration the people that see my Google Local Services ad, research my business and call independently.

So the jobs I have marked as Internet I guarantee has some crossover from Google Local Services.

So my true marketing cost is probably closer to 4-5% on GLS. Again, if all my marketing performed this well I'd be as rich as Rob by the end of the year.

FYI I share numbers and $$$ because I want REAL operators to see REAL numbers. It's not meant as a gloat or boasting. So those who are about to reply and say something negative or toxic, fudge off.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
This is more of a pay per call rant, but it seems to me as if Google has gone down hill lately.

The best results I've ever had with Google is doing my own SEO. Second to that is Google Local Service.

That being said, their "Google Local Service" service is designed to charge you for any and every lead possible if you say the wrong thing during the call.

If you mention a price or a service during a Google generated lead call, you get charged. Which is fine - That's the way it should be. But... When I'm getting calls from an entirely different state and still get charged? Lol.

If the potential customer says I'm in *insert my city name*, I'm going to assume it's also the same state.

Since this started happening, I've had to verify which state they're calling from if the area code they're calling from is unfamiliar to me because this has become somewhat frequent.

Another issue are late night calls after business hours. (Not a 24 hour company) It took me a few months to realize that Google doesn't turn your ads off after your businesses closing hours. You have to set up business hours just for your Google ads.

There's a bunch of other non-sense I've called Google to complain about, such ass... being butt dialed by a customer 3-4 times and being charged twice, but Google Local Service still generates a great ROI despite a lot of BS, so what can you do? ‍♂

With marketing, you will drive yourself crazy using a magnifying glass to analyze the analytics, and in doing so you will miss the forest flying right past you. Sure you need to track results from each of your marketing streams, you do not want to look at each individual transaction. Rather overall performance over say a month or quarter as that is the true measure of the value of said marketing stream.

If you want to start mining analytics down to the customer you will need to hire a marketing firm as this takes a variety of skill sets and requires a team of people. This is the path I am on. Analytics is a trade, specialty, skill, all on its own. Not something a business owner has time to master at a higher level. Sure you can learn enough to fill a few trucks, but to truly take advantage of analytics at a higher level the same way big corporations do takes a specially skilled and trained TEAM of people.

As you said, you ROI over a months period is good. So if it maintains over the quarter, and then year, why get so upset over a few disagreements or discrepancies. Look at those as branding costs. When you are marketing via branding rather than direct response, you have to learn to back up just a bit and look at the forest. Only then can you measure the success or failure of your complete marketing system which
include google certified pros, google local services and the like.

Remember, marketing is an ongoing event. Not a one time flash in the pan. Try to look more at the forest. From an outsider looking in you are tripping over pennies and leaning over to pick them up (calling google to complain in an attempt to get a call or 2 refunded (the pennies), your words) when that same frustration and energy could be used to develop an additional funnel or stream of NEW marketing to add to the existing stream that is in your own words a good ROI.

Last edited:

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Yes, its specifically called Google Local Services

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
This is great thank you, I have been wanting to check this out. Is this the google guarantee program?
IF you have great reviews and live in a decent size market, it will make your phone ring. We do mostly Ducts. I actually had to reduce my budget as we were getting more Carpet job calls than i can handle as only 2 of my trucks are equipped to do Carpet Cleaning in addition to my duct jobs which are much, much, higher margin. So Yes, I had to turn down a funnel of marketing by reducing my budget as it was giving me more jobs than I was ready for. Working on fixing that problem now........trying to get together a Carpet cleaning only crew now.....another van and TM.............few more weeks......

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
$120,000 and I'll handle the truck solo Spazznout

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
$120,000 and I'll handle the truck solo Spazznout
50-60K on the books or negotiable for 1099
Assistant tech every day
5 day work week
earned Week paid off after 8 mos
health ins
annual company trip (vegas last 3 years running in Feb while its cold and snowy in Ohio)
uniform
all you supply is labor and over the top customer service.

Opportunity to operate expansion location in new city after 3 years of tech with leadership ability. Salary with non appreciating ownership rights $120-350,000 per year with relocation expenses and rent subsidy.

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I'll stick with owning my company for now =) Sounds like a great deal though!

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Are you guys advertising pricing of any kind on your GLS?

I have yet to try it as some have said the cost per lead here is very high but if return is worth it we may go for it

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I have it on max spend but it never gets close to that point

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Its saint Louis MO so cant be too big or too small

madking

Jan 14, 2020
Real Name
Ramil Villmar
For my business, I also do local google my business but I never tried paid ads. I only did Facebook ads that boost my post. How Google local ads in terms of impressions?