beau

Jun 5, 2015
BC, Canada
Real Name
Beau Phipps
Business Location
Canada
Hey guys,

So now picking what brand of power washer I want, getting something with a Honda engine, but not sure on what pump Brands to look for/avoid. Anyone got a good list of shitty/great pumps to look For? Thanks.

waxman

Jun 23, 2008
Long Island
Real Name
Vincenzo
Business Location
United States

Hydro tek diesel trailer great machine.

Shark in the bed of my truck made by karcher piece of junk, 77 hours on it had the unloader fail, flow switch fail causing the blast relief to blow, and no bypass to releave hot water buildup on the pump so when the gun is released it will cause premature failure of the plungers on the pump which did fail around 100 hours in the middle of a job.

jack zerkie

Jun 27, 2008
cape coral florida
Business Location
United States
Go your local Hotsy dealer pay a little more but your safe. They can service what they sell and its all quality . jz.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
agree with the hotsy dealer.....

pressure washers arent like carpet cleaning pumps....
only need about 2-3 gpm for carpet cleaning....
most use less than 2 gpm.....

pressure washer guys use 5-15 gpm depending on the application

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Hey guys,

So now picking what brand of power washer I want, getting something with a Honda engine, but not sure on what pump Brands to look for/avoid. Anyone got a good list of shitty/great pumps to look For? Thanks.
Are you looking for a power house( 4-5K and up PSI) ? Surface tool optional? I have a little, 3300 psi Husqvarna for a 3 summers( mostly gets beating on commercial jobs( dumpster enclosures, spent oil containers, nasty, chewing gum ridden sidewalks. Survived 2 winters ( subzero temperatures) with not even draining gas tank( fuel stabilizer),only 200 hours though. Never experienced any problems. Obviously, I would like to have 4-6K Psi setup, but don't we all?
Good luck huntin'...
Let us know what you get. You're info might be useful to someone else.

waxman

Jun 23, 2008
Long Island
Real Name
Vincenzo
Business Location
United States
For high pressure and higher gallons a garden hose wont do it . You must use a water holding tank for higher usage.
Only on high gpm not pressure you will need what’s called a buffer tank of 50 gals or more to feed machine.

beau

Jun 5, 2015
BC, Canada
Real Name
Beau Phipps
Business Location
Canada
Since this is a really tiny town im at and i wont be doing a ton of work with it(simply an add on service for residential use primarily) Ive bought a General pump with 3600 PSI and 4.7 GPM, Pairing it with a small 16 inch surface tool, Thank you everyone for the advice. (Had a 13 HP Honda engine already)

Wanted something not too crazy, simply because im not too sure the area could realistically provide enough work to justify a trailer with a large set up, if it does ill glady upgrade to one though.

waxman

Jun 23, 2008
Long Island
Real Name
Vincenzo
Business Location
United States
Since this is a really tiny town im at and i wont be doing a ton of work with it(simply an add on service for residential use primarily) Ive bought a General pump with 3600 PSI and 4.7 GPM, Pairing it with a small 16 inch surface tool, Thank you everyone for the advice. (Had a 13 HP Honda engine already)

Wanted something not too crazy, simply because im not too sure the area could realistically provide enough work to justify a trailer with a large set up, if it does ill glady upgrade to one though.
That’s how we started!!

Reactions: beau

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
If you are plumbing this yourself, here's a couple things to consider upfront for the longevity of the wet end of the pump. If you are going to put the unloader bypass back into the inlet side of the pump use a 10'+ long hose for extra time while not triggering so your not building heat quickly. Adding a 145° pump inlet temp relief valve as well isn't a bad idea. Go at least one size up on all inlet hoses from the inlet thread size and no less than 1" if you are going to let the pump pull water on its own from a tank. Show us your build when it's done. Good luck!