Going to all VLM

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
I got asked ''the question'' for the first time this week from a long time customer.

I have been doing work for the Watsons for 15-20 years. All HWE until Wednesday.

I told them when they scheduled the work I would be doing VLM and I was done with HWE.

Mrs Watson said ... The carpets look super clean but where does the dirt go ???
She was smiling when she asked. Mrs Watson is very nice.

I told her the dirt gets encapsulated in the shampoo and then gets extracted by the bonnet. Any remaining residue crystallizes and gets vacuumed up the next time you vacuum. I told her the carpet will usually dry in 1-3 hours. She just said ok.

I room was berber and the other rooms/steps were 20-25 year old nylon.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Rob can i run black label in my cimex tank? how should i mix it? Thanks
Hmm. That I have never tried. But if I did maybe 2-4oz per gallon depending on soil levels.If you try it let me know how it works.

Reactions: Rick F

pgcleaner

Nov 4, 2020
Real Name
Matthew Olive
When doing residential a CRB scrub before the OP makes a big difference in results. Just using a OP machine gets good results but doing the CRB scrub then more scrubbing and extracting with a OP and cotton bonnet gives even a better result.

I just did my old Living Room nylon carpet. I used Magic Wands Atomic. Carpet looks beautiful and it's dry in less than 2 hours.
I am considering going with this method. CRB then Orbot Vibe for residential. 3 gallon spotter for when it's needed. Truck mount maintenance is pretty expensive. Seems like it's always something. If you make 100k per year with your TM, then your spending at least 5k on maintenance.

The Orbot Vibe is CRI approved. Any thoughts on this?

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
This is just my opinion. Others will disagree but I believe Vibe with sprayer and tank is too big and heavy for residential. Pain getting up and down stairs and maneuvering around furniture. Especially in small rooms.

I have a Orbot SprayBorg. I take the sprayers and tanks off if I use it for Residential. Since I bought Trinity Odyssey and Phoenix. I haven't used SprayBorg

You don't need sprayer for residential.

Orbot is now selling a Vibe without a sprayer and tank. It's about $500 cheaper. Goes for about $2000. That would be better. You don't need sprayer for Residential and it would be lighter and easier to maneuver around furniture.

Are you going to use it for commercial ? You do need a sprayer for commercial.

I believe you need a residential OP small and light and a bigger OP with sprayer for commercial.

I'm using Trinity Odyssey for residential and Trinity Phoenix for commercial.

Last edited:

pgcleaner

Nov 4, 2020
Real Name
Matthew Olive
This is just my opinion. Others will disagree but I believe Vibe with sprayer and tank is too big and heavy for residential. Pain getting up and down stairs and maneuvering around furniture. Especially in small rooms.

I have a Orbot SprayBorg. I take the sprayers and tanks off if I use it for Residential. Since I bought Trinity Odyssey and Phoenix. I haven't used SprayBorg

You don't need sprayer for residential.

Orbot is now selling a Vibe without a sprayer and tank. It's about $500 cheaper. Goes for about $2000. That would be better. You don't need sprayer for Residential and it would be lighter and easier to maneuver around furniture.

Are you going to use it for commercial ? You do need a sprayer for commercial.

I believe you need a residential OP small and light and a bigger OP with sprayer for commercial.

I'm using Trinity Odyssey for residential and Trinity Phoenix for commercial.
Thanks for the tips. I do most residential, but I have done a few commercial jobs. I don't mind pre spraying ahead of my self though. I feel like the extra dwell time is nice.

I saw the Orbot Vibe without the sprayer. I would love to get one. Either that or the Challenger.

I like that the Vibe is more versatile than the Challenger. Challenger is smaller though, which is perfect for residential.

What do you think about the Challenger?

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
I have a Challenger and looks horrible because of rust. I Bought it in 2013.
Doesn't get on the van anymore.
I would use it again only if something happens to Odyssey.
It's a good backup.

Challenger is a dinosaur. It's ugly and slow but does a good job.
Perfect size for residential.
Weighs about 65 pounds
Wheels are too small so you must carry it up and down steps. Pain in the a** !!!

Hard to maneuver on some carpets.
You need to use a glider that takes up part of the bonnet.
But even with a glider it's hard to maneuver on some carpets

Very dependable but over priced. Cost over $2000 new
Would be good if you could find used for under $1000

You can buy a Odyssey for $2100 or Vibe without sprayer for $2000

Challenger is like a 1975 VW Beetle
Odyssey is like a 2021 Lexus

Last edited:

pgcleaner

Nov 4, 2020
Real Name
Matthew Olive
I have a Challenger and looks horrible because of rust. I Bought it in 2013.
Doesn't get on the van anymore.
I would use it again only if something happens to Odyssey.
It's a good backup.

Challenger is a dinosaur. It's ugly and slow but does a good job.
Perfect size for residential.
Weighs about 65 pounds
Wheels are too small so you must carry it up and down steps. Pain in the a** !!!

Hard to maneuver on some carpets.
You need to use a glider that takes up part of the bonnet.
But even with a glider it's hard to maneuver on some carpets

Very dependable but over priced. Cost over $2000 new
Would be good if you could find used for under $1000

You can buy a Odyssey for $2100 or Vibe without sprayer for $2000

Challenger is like a 1975 VW Beetle
Odyssey is like a 2021 Lexus
Haha. Ok I will go with the Vibe. I ran into an interesting situation today. A dark brown, shaggy carpet that was pretty greasy from a dog and people's feet.

I chickened out and used the TM after agitating with the CRB. Turned out ok. Can never really make greasy carpet feel good to the touch though. Even with the heat cranked up on the El Diablo.

Do you think a CRB followed up with the Vibe would be enough for a situation like that?

Shaggy, greasy carpet, but no stains or spots.

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
Haha. Ok I will go with the Vibe. I ran into an interesting situation today. A dark brown, shaggy carpet that was pretty greasy from a dog and people's feet.

I chickened out and used the TM after agitating with the CRB. Turned out ok. Can never really make greasy carpet feel good to the touch though. Even with the heat cranked up on the El Diablo.

Do you think a CRB followed up with the Vibe would be enough for a situation like that?

Shaggy, greasy carpet, but no stains or spots.
The right chemicals is what does it.

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
I have an orbot vibe, with the tank and spray system and have used it in residential without any problems on most jobs, it just depends, every house is different.

If your in some small apartment/condo house with a lot of furniture or whatever yes it could be a pain and not your best choice

Thats why i also have the odyssey OP machine for just those situations, i also have the little oreck as well though i'd never ever attempt to clean a whole job with it, some do I know but sorry not me.

I also have a 15 inch CRB, thinking of getting the 10 inch one to actually.
I also have a 13 inch 60 pound Koblenz 175 with a solution tank, have pad driver and carpet brush for it as well
pretty much have all the bases covered

But I totally agree with above comments using the CRB 1st followed by an OP to finish is a great one two punch

I never CRB only but i will OP only if carpet is already in pretty good shape to begin with.

Reactions: rob allen

AffordableCarpetCare

Aug 30, 2013
Lebanon TN
Real Name
Matthew Patterson
Business Location
United States
Truck mount maintenance is pretty expensive. Seems like it's always something. If you make 100k per year with your TM, then your spending at least 5k on maintenance.
What machine do you have that maintenance costs so much? I spend $500-$1000 year on average for machine repair/maintenance.

Reactions: rob allen

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
AGAIN just my opinion. Others will disagree.

I'm not a big fan of velcro drivers on OP.

Challenger and Vibe have velcro drivers. I hated the velcro driver on my SprayBorg.

I bought SprayBorg in 2012. Since then Orbot has come out with a new velcro driver. So maybe it's better.

Red bristle driver is much better and much more aggressive. It cleans better and digs deeper on residential.

Velcro driver runs smoother and has less vibration.

Sometimes a glider is needed for velcro driver.

Red bristle driver will negate warranty on Vibe !!!

Resized_20211203_080549.jpg

Last edited:

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
AGAIN just my opinion. Others will disagree.

I'm not a big fan of velcro drivers on OP.

Challenger and Vibe have velcro drivers. I hated the velcro driver on my SprayBorg.

I bought SprayBorg in 2012. Since then Orbot has come out with a new velcro driver. So maybe it's better.

Red bristle driver is much better and much more aggressive. It cleans better and digs deeper on residential.

Velcro driver runs smoother and has less vibration.

Red bristle driver will negate warranty !!!

View attachment 98463
Nice. Did you make an adapter George?

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
Besides the velcro driver on SprayBorg I never liked how long SprayBorg was. Hard to maneuver in tight areas and around furniture.

Vibe is shorter and would probably be better for residential.

Wheels up OP (Odyssey) are really nice for small rooms and tight areas. Very easy to maneuver.

Wheels down OP (Vibe) is better for big rooms and big open areas

I really like the Vibe without sprayer and tank for residential.

I might get a Vibe in 2022 for some of the bigger homes I do.

pgcleaner

Nov 4, 2020
Real Name
Matthew Olive
Besides the velcro driver on SprayBorg I never liked how long SprayBorg was. Hard to maneuver in tight areas and around furniture.

Vibe is shorter and would probably be better for residential.

Wheels up OP (Odyssey) are really nice for small rooms and tight areas. Very easy to maneuver.

Wheels down OP (Vibe) is better for big rooms and big open areas

I really like the Vibe without sprayer and tank for residential.

I might get a Vibe in 2022 for some of the bigger homes I do.
Ecapstore.com sells a 'swirly' basically a beefed up 175.