going rate for sq ft pricing | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

going rate for sq ft pricing

stuey4

Mar 11, 2015
Real Name
Brian Stuhlmiller
I thought i would do some shopping around to see what the competion is charging per sf, which i think is the route i want to go. And and I know i should not be comparing my prices to the competion, but i think it is a starting point for me, and i wanted to get an idea of what they were charging. Some facts i found is:

popular one man operation company in town- .28sf seems to be steady busy
company not very well known-.36sf and is booked out a month
large company- first room under- 300sf $59.00 everything after .22sf only a day out
another small guy-just gave a ballpark price over the phone, charges by room

So the highest priced guy in town, seems to be the busiest? Found that kind a weird. I am thinking of starting at .30sf to keep it in the middle. I don't want to be the cheapest, and i don't want to be the highest. what do you guys think?

Nomad74

www.apcarpetcleaners.com
Premium VIP
Apr 26, 2013
Redding, Ca
Real Name
Damon
Business Location
United States
I totally agree with the higher priced guy. Once you build your book of business and get your quality of cleaning high, you can weed out the cheapo's and focus on your customers that care about quality over price. Just remember, there will always be someone cheaper out there, but there will not always be someone that does it better. I am building my business on that philosophy and it's working. I am regularly cleaning at .35 to .40 and sometimes .50 and T&G at $1.00.

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
I've probably said this a hundred times but people still equate quality with price. People with the money don't (always) like to go cheap because they are willing to pay for quality. :)

Mikey34

Sep 23, 2011
va
Real Name
mike Parkinson
Business Location
United States
What if he's going on vacation for 4 weeks so he just says he's booked out a month in advance, maybe he's having surgery etc etc.

What if he's a one truck one guy who only does a job a day?

So anyways not saying Ur wrong just saying your math could be very very wrong.

A large operation could be easily doing 8-12 jobs a day. Which technically makes them much busier.

However Ur thinking is very flawed once again, the goal is not to be busy, the goal is to make money, (unless I'm assuming and your goal is just to drown out real life) U will piss 5 years of Ur life away just trying to b busy. That's how I thought at first well those 5 years are here and gone.

True Pro

Jan 21, 2014
MA.
Real Name
Gilles LeBlanc
Business Location
United States
You are better off charging what you are worth. If you provide a superior service charge for it.
If you're a corner cutter let your price reflect that also.

Andrew C

May 24, 2014
Richmond, VA
www.TrueSteamLLC.com
Real Name
Andrew Carr
I thought i would do some shopping around to see what the competion is charging per sf, which i think is the route i want to go. And and I know i should not be comparing my prices to the competion, but i think it is a starting point for me, and i wanted to get an idea of what they were charging. Some facts i found is:

popular one man operation company in town- .28sf seems to be steady busy
company not very well known-.36sf and is booked out a month
large company- first room under- 300sf $59.00 everything after .22sf only a day out
another small guy-just gave a ballpark price over the phone, charges by room

So the highest priced guy in town, seems to be the busiest? Found that kind a weird. I am thinking of starting at .30sf to keep it in the middle. I don't want to be the cheapest, and i don't want to be the highest. what do you guys think?
I think...hmmm...wonder if my competition has price shopped me?

Is your business up and running? What have you been charging your customers?

Have you thought about charging per room? That's how I do it. Couldn't imagine having to measure out everyone's home.

stuey4

Mar 11, 2015
Real Name
Brian Stuhlmiller
I know it's about making money, but typically it goes hand in hand. The busier you are, and the more jobs you have lined up, the more money you will make.

I have thought about pricing per room, but what do you do when you get a customer that calls and they want a living room and a few bedrooms cleaned, and find out when you get there or get there address and find out it's a 4,000sf house vs a 2000sf house. Now i just quoted them a price for an average room and I should have quoted them double because of the size?

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
Pricing by the area averages out sooner or later but the problem I have with it is ; it's not fair IMO. The person who has a 10x10 room and the person who has a 12x12 room pay the same.
I know it's about making money, but typically it goes hand in hand. The busier you are, and the more jobs you have lined up, the more money you will make.

I have thought about pricing per room, but what do you do when you get a customer that calls and they want a living room and a few bedrooms cleaned, and find out when you get there or get there address and find out it's a 4,000sf house vs a 2000sf house. Now i just quoted them a price for an average room and I should have quoted them double because of the size?

You just answered your own question. If pricing is done by the room then the person who has a 10x10 room, and the person who has a 12x12 room pays the same. I don't see that being a fair pricing system.
As far as having more jobs and making more money; well ....I can stay really busy at 5.95 a room but I'll make way more money at .50 cents a foot. I won't have as much work but the profit will be way higher. SO there is a bit of a balancing act to do.

You'll get busier faster at lower prices but if your quality is there; you can go in higher and make more profit per job. You'll just have to wait a little longer for the quality customer. :)

True Pro

Jan 21, 2014
MA.
Real Name
Gilles LeBlanc
Business Location
United States
I'm a sq ft guy. I always offer to go out and measure and inspect the job on new customers. Most take me up on the offer. I find this helps to close the deal BIG TIME.
If they are referrals they usually don't ask about the cost they just want to book a date.
You can't be afraid to charge what you're worth.

Magnum Clean

Oct 9, 2014
Real Name
Andrew N.
I'm a sq ft guy. I always offer to go out and measure and inspect the job on new customers. Most take me up on the offer. I find this helps to close the deal BIG TIME.
If they are referrals they usually don't ask about the cost they just want to book a date.
You can't be afraid to charge what you're worth.
YES!! This is the only way to do it. The problem with the such and such rooms for this price deal is that it puts you in competition with all the other guys doing it (at least half of competitors) in a race to the bottom, price wise. The only thing you are selling in these type of ads is price, and therefore it attracts all the price shoppers. Invest the time to go out and meet them and measure it up. Sell quality, not price. Now they have met you, trust you, and are confident in the quote you have given them, even though it is more money. At this point chances of them calling some wild card company to do it for 49 bucks cheaper are nil. I think my booking rate is like 95%. THIS is how you build quality client base.

Cara

Apr 8, 2011
AZ
Real Name
Cara Ordonez
Business Location
United States
How do you handle the people that have a 10×10 room that is mostly filled with furniture? I know it's more work than an empty room but people argue with me that they shouldn't have to pay for the entire sq ft since we are only cleaning 1/4 of it. Do you charge wall to wall or only actual sq ft being cleaned?

True Pro

Jan 21, 2014
MA.
Real Name
Gilles LeBlanc
Business Location
United States
I charge for the whole room. I also move all furniture except for platform & waterbeds. I also wipe down the baseboards and cobwebs that are behind the furniture.
If they tell me not to well that's their call. They still get charged for the whole room.

Reactions: crash1big