Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Do you give firm prices on the phone? We don't. Here's an example from this morning. Client:I only got 2-3 areas and they said 150. Me:They said 150 approximately until tech arrives. It's 6 empty areas and a walk in. That will be 325.

I don't clients lie they just don't know how to explain their homes. I help them. Then we do great work! What about you, firm prices on phone?

ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1443534137.537683.jpg

Bob Loblaw

Jun 7, 2013
Real Name
Rick
Business Location
Fiji
Clients are either too ignorant or dishonest to give them a firm price over the phone. I tell them that unless they can tell me exactly how many sq ft they need cleaned and exactly the type and condition of the carpet I cannot lock in a price for them. I tell them it's a ballpark price and if they like that ball park I will come and give an exact price before beginning with no obligation that they will have an opportunity to accept or refuse.

Keith Kool Shannon

Dec 9, 2011
WA
Real Name
Keith Shannon
Business Location
United States
Estimates over the phone are always ballpark estimates based off the customers description.

If you ask the right questions and know the area where the custy lives, you can give a pretty accurate estimate on the phone.

Shawn Abbey

Nov 20, 2008
Oregon
Real Name
Shawn Abbey
Never. Even if they push the issue, we don't give a firm price over the phone. It has come back to bite us.

Reactions: PistolPete

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
www.magicwandcolorado.com
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
Do you give firm prices on the phone? We don't. Here's an example from this morning. Client:I only got 2-3 areas and they said 150. Me:They said 150 approximately until tech arrives. It's 6 empty areas and a walk in. That will be 325.

I don't clients lie they just don't know how to explain their homes. I help them. Then we do great work! What about you, firm prices on phone?

View attachment 54034
Rob how often do you or your techs leave an appointment without working because the client couldn't agree to your quote on arrival?

I may change my policy to an estimate on the phone only but currently I usually give a quote and if it's not as I expected I'll just do the work anyway so I don't risk pissing them off. I think, especially in this industry, customers are very leery of the company coming to the home and jacking the price up.

awratchford

Jun 9, 2014
Customers will lie. Period. I don't trust customers. Had one call a hour ago. She just wanted a living room done. Said been a year since last cleaning. Turns out through conversation she let it slip they had a party and need us to clean up after them

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
Will never be hammered down on an exact phone quote.
We will tell people that for $180-$220 you get UP to 3 average sized and soiled areas cleaned ( max 500 sq ft).
Staircases , extra rooms are by estimate only.
If they are pushing for price we will tell them to expect $40-$60 on average.
We always ask what the sq ft of home is. Take off areas that are linoleum etc and usually your average 1500 sq ft home has less than 1000 sq ft of carpet.
Loads of our work ... price isn't brought up unless they ask ( we don't bring it up).
Just hand them an invoice at the end of job.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Rob how often do you or your techs leave an appointment without working because the client couldn't agree to your quote on arrival?

I may change my policy to an estimate on the phone only but currently I usually give a quote and if it's not as I expected I'll just do the work anyway so I don't risk pissing them off. I think, especially in this industry, customers are very leery of the company coming to the home and jacking the price up.
Very rarely. Maybe once or twice a year. I will work with clients. But I always start high and work my way down if needed.

I'm at a house right now. 8 areas carpet and stairs. Girl office said approx 250. I just told her 500. She said that seems high. I have a budget of 450. So I said ok I'll do it.

groutguy

Mar 9, 2008
Fredericksburg Virginia
pristinepete.com
Real Name
Peter Diehl
Business Location
United States
Most of our phone estimates are dead on. I'm the one asking the questions on the phone so I know how to pressure them into getting a fair assessment. We rarely have people lie about the number of areas, if anything they lie about severity of the urine stains.
Questions we ask on every phone estimate: Do you have any concerns with the carpet? stains? odors? urine? pet hair? furniture moving? filter soil? last cleaning? Filter is the one I burned myself on by not asking when I first started. Imagine giving a firm quote then walking into a house full white carpet with dark filter lines....OH Crap!
We do always say "the quotes are usually accurate, but we will do a walk through and let you know if anything is more or less before we start.

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
Customers will lie. Period. I don't trust customers. Had one call a hour ago. She just wanted a living room done. Said been a year since last cleaning. Turns out through conversation she let it slip they had a party and need us to clean up after them
I think you're hilarious every time I read your description of your customers. You make them sound like Satan, lol. I don't know about everyone else, but most of my customers are awesome. I have a great list of steady customers. There's always a few who piss me off, and a few who get by with ripping me off. But for the most part, they're great

Maximum Carpet

May 22, 2014
www.maxcarpets.com
Real Name
Jeff Hasse
Business Location
United States
Did one for a Realtor yesterday on a house getting ready to go on the market. She said 3 rooms and stairs. It was 5 rooms and 2 flights of stairs. If anybody should know the answer to these questions, it would be a Realtor...or so I thought.

Reactions: rob allen

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Every once in a while I have one that has each rooms measurements down to the exact fraction of an inch. I still take my own measurements after I get there! :) Sometimes I'll say, "Wow, you guys were dead on." or " You were really close with your measurements!" The more accurate they are the more accurate I can be on the phone. Otherwise I tell I can only give them an approximate cost. I also tell them they will know the exact cost of the cleaning before I begin on their home. I give free estimates as long as they're fairly local.

Reactions: rob allen

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Very rarely. Maybe once or twice a year. I will work with clients. But I always start high and work my way down if needed.

I'm at a house right now. 8 areas carpet and stairs. Girl office said approx 250. I just told her 500. She said that seems high. I have a budget of 450. So I said ok I'll do it.
That seems pretty far off to me. Of course no telling what your office girl was told over the phone and I don't know what you consider an area. I'm guessing many rooms count as 2 areas right? Was she told 4 "rooms" on the phone? I know in my area some generally called, "Family rooms" can be well over 500 sq. ft. I've seen some much larger. Most master bedrooms will go over what area chargers allow for 1 area and so will many living rooms. Then you can have huge walk in closets on top of everything else.

awratchford

Jun 9, 2014
I think you're hilarious every time I read your description of your customers. You make them sound like Satan, lol. I don't know about everyone else, but most of my customers are awesome. I have a great list of steady customers. There's always a few who piss me off, and a few who get by with ripping me off. But for the most part, they're great
It's Montgomery. I just happen to catch all the moron callers.

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
Depends on what your giving a firm quote on...the job in general? Heck no. The job as described? Sure why not, it's all in how you communicate with the customer.

Mrs Smith based on you description of 3 rooms that are lightly soiled, having no pet damage or colored stains, and our 200 sq/ft or less you price would be $ ____________

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
That seems pretty far off to me. Of course no telling what your office girl was told over the phone and I don't know what you consider an area. I'm guessing many rooms count as 2 areas right? Was she told 4 "rooms" on the phone? I know in my area some generally called, "Family rooms" can be well over 500 sq. ft. I've seen some much larger. Most master bedrooms will go over what area chargers allow for 1 area and so will many living rooms. Then you can have huge walk in closets on top of everything else.
That house is very misleading. 3 of the areas were well over 2-300sq ft. She was delighted when I left!