www.mytee.com
Real Name
John LaBarbera
What defines a "High End Porty"?

Keep it friendly. No Brand names.

Features? Be specific.

Price? provide a range

Spec's? Again, be specific.

To you it may be these items or none of these items.

Please give us you thoughts on this question. Everyone has opinions and they may differ. That's fine, but what is important to YOU when defining a "High End Porty"?

grimel

Apr 18, 2010
TN
Real Name
George Rimel
Business Location
United States
Run 75-100 ft of hose (something over 10"HG lift and 200 CFM flow), 10+ gal tanks, AF/APO, at least 2gpm flow. It would be nice to have a variable pressure pump capable of 1200 psi, but, not necessary.

Canada-Eh

Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
coswaysupply.com
Real Name
Kenny Cosway
Business Location
Canada
10 or more gallons
dual 3 stage vacs.
can run on 2 seperate 15amp circuits.
has large soft wheels
300 + adjustable psi pump
can use 75' hose run if necessary
has large top on recovery tank so it can be cleaned easily-

Some of the other features people will ask for will make the machine way too heavy, not very portable and some features greatly reduce the life of the machine. I want the machine to run for 1000 hours without a single breakdown, hiccup or glitch. And after 1000 hours I want the vacs to be working as they did on day 1

Features? Be specific.

Price? provide a range

Please give us you thoughts on this question. Everyone has opinions and they may differ. That's fine, but what is important to YOU when defining a "High End Porty"?

Larry Cobb

Mar 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Larry Cobb
John;

10 or more Gallon Capacity
Dual Hi-AirWatt 3 stage Vacs (556 Airwatts)
Operates on two 15amp circuits.
Has Large Rear Wheels and non-marking casters
500 PSI adjustable Pump w/1.5 GPM or more
2" Vac Plumbing for long hose runs
Rotomolded Tanks for Durability & Light Weight
Large opening on Recovery Tank for access
Auto-Fill and Pump-Out for Commercial Machine
Price - $2k to $2.5K (Comm.)

You have nearly all of these !

Larry

Frank DiGi

Premium VIP
Sep 3, 2008
pa
www.dicarpetclean.com
Real Name
Frank
Business Location
United States
As Ken and Larry said and to add:
Hi-Pro vacuum motors
Good lasting heater 2000 watt
Self priming pump
Auto full shut off , cuts the motors off to prevent damage.
Circuit finder
Psi gage
Easy access to get to motors and pump..

Jan Sullins

Sep 17, 2008
Ok.City Oklahoma
Real Name
Jan Sullins
I want no less than 2 high performance vac motors each with its own stack
pipe and its own exhaust port. There are some 2 stages out there that will
blow away anything that I have seen on any forum. I want proven
components. I am more concerned with more flow than pressure. So if I can
get 350 psi@1.7 gpm that would be great. Vacuum sufficient to more than
100 feet from unit and prefferably 150 feet
from unit.
12 to 15 gallons with pumpout. Engineered to get sufficient operating lift with
high airflow. Which is in reality is the only you can get good operating lift.
Since only a parellel vacuum system is the only way to get this kind of performance
I would also like to have the system capable and built in to where I can use just one
vacuum or both without vacuum leaking back through other vac motor. I also want
a company that will take care of my concerns and who will be symathetic to
what concerns me! I would like it to be easy to remove and reinstall components!
I am not in a position to say how much this machine should cost but I would rather
pay a little more and get closer to what I want than settling on something that
is not close . No electric heat!

Jan

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Make it look like no other portable ever made. We are tired of the same old, same old. Show us something that will blow away anything we have ever seen. Make it revolutionary looking. Make it something that can impress a cleaner and more importantly the customer. No offense John but Mytee is known as a copy cat company.

John LaBarbera

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Sep 13, 2008
San Diego, Ca
www.mytee.com
Real Name
John LaBarbera
Make it look like no other portable ever made. We are tired of the same old, same old. Show us something that will blow away anything we have ever seen. Make it revolutionary looking. Make it something that can impress a cleaner and more importantly the customer. No offense John but Mytee is known as a copy cat company.
Lol. Who cares what they say. No offense Rob. But that's what "they" say about your forum, "copy cat". If that's the best the competition can say, so be it. The fact is there is nothing new under the sun. And if other companies want to over-charge for their products, than that is an invitation for me. If they don't like it, too bad for them. You should never create and "umbrella" for the competition. And, what is more, what man doesn't copy? Sonar, radar, etc, was all here before man, so get real. Nothing in this industry is new. For "crying out loud" that's what Chemdry would like to say about glides.

So your "high end porty" is all about looks. Thanks.

TA152H

Jun 17, 2010
New York
Real Name
Rich
Business Location
United States
John,

I would say 3 vacs in series, or 4 vacs in a 2 x 2. 1/2 inch waste tank minimum. Works OK with two outlets, but is enhanced by three (or just three if this isn't feasible) Top quality accessory parts. Efficient design with minimal use of hoses. No heat (uses power that could be used for suction). Attractive and expensive appearance. Two inch outlets everywhere. Attention to all details - no ergonomic irritations.

Cost around $2999 if possible (meaning what it can be bought for, not list), or even $3495 if the fit and finish is outstanding instead of very good. Mainly, don't skimp on materials. If something cost more, and is nicer/better, use it. There are plenty of mid-range and low-end stuff, and you already do well there. I'd expect no compromises in material, design or quality. And I'd expect and accept that the price reflects that.

TA152H

Jun 17, 2010
New York
Real Name
Rich
Business Location
United States
Lol. Who cares what they say. No offense Rob. But that's what "they" say about your forum, "copy cat". If that's the best the competition can say, so be it. The fact is there is nothing new under the sun. And if other companies want to over-charge for their products, than that is an invitation for me. If they don't like it, too bad for them. You should never create and "umbrella" for the competition. And, what is more, what man doesn't copy? Sonar, radar, etc, was all here before man, so get real. Nothing in this industry is new. For "crying out loud" that's what Chemdry would like to say about glides.

So your "high end porty" is all about looks. Thanks.
We are of diametrically opposed opinions on what we like in products, but I do understand what you're saying, particularly since your perspective is dictated by financial necessity.

You are taking advantage of poor pricing from competing machines that have too high margins, and are making good enough machines at still good margins, but not excessive. So far that has given you a very good market position, and I think everyone understands the importance and value of that.

As consumers, though, naturally we want something better than is out there, not just something that is very good for the price (although, certainly, that's a good thing too).

I don't agree there's nothing new to be done, and everything has to be copied. I do agree that's a good market though. But, let's be real, there are no really good portables out there, and there's plenty of innovation that can be done. Three cords is very easy for people using your 240v splitter, and extension cords certainly make it possible.

Other innovations are using efficient air paths, with no unnecessary hoses. Moving the vac motors higher would make it much less likely to get water into them. Making them easier to get into and out of vans, or stairs, would also be a possible improvement.

How about using the heat generated by the vac motors to heat the water? It's not impossible. Why waste amperage for that, and lose energy created as a byproduct.

Portables have plenty of room for innovation. Copying is not evil, but it's not everything either.

MasterSteamClean

May 18, 2010
Fl
www.mastersteamcleaning.com
Real Name
Erik
Business Location
United States
All great info above.

500-600 psi
15 gallon sol/ recovery
4 vac
2 stacks for 2 parallel and 2 motors in series "Hi air watt"
2 inch plumbing
Auto Fill /Auto Dump
psi gauge
circuit indicator
float switch auto shut off back up for auto dump
on 2 cords possibly 3 if it was necessary. One of the motors could be turned off and just run 3
Roto Mold body
Also I like the water heated by vac motors but I don't want heaters in my machine all amps for suction.
230 or 260 cfm 14-15 hg

Build It They Will Buy This powerful Machine

Deron06

Deron
Premium VIP
Sep 25, 2010
Real Name
Deron Najarian
Business Location
United States
John asked what we would consider a "high end" portable but everybody is answering as though he asked "What would be your dream portable"?

In my opinion, the M5 is a high end portable and nearly the "dream portable". To get it from "high end" to "dream portable", I would change the following things. First, I would place a 2" exhaust hose out from each internal vac and have them exit out a side of the body with a cuff linx connector so that a twin vac booster could be added behind the M5 for extra lift. This would provide the 2X2 that TA152H is referring to without imposing on the convenient roominess in the M5 cabin. I would also prefer a 1/2" thick body in order to handle the extra lift. I would also include quick connects on the fresh water intake as well as the auto dump outlet (I put these on mine). I would also like to see some type of muffling system to make the M5 quieter. That's about it and in fact, I am going to delegate Mytee to build me the thicker body, which John LaBarbera said was feasible. The Mytee M5 is absolutely excellent and a great foundation for further development.

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
John asked what we would consider a "high end" portable but everybody is answering as though he asked "What would be your dream portable"?

In my opinion, the M5 is a high end portable and nearly the "dream portable". To get it from "high end" to "dream portable", I would change the following things. First, I would place a 2" exhaust hose out from each internal vac and have them exit out a side of the body with a cuff linx connector so that a twin vac booster could be added behind the M5 for extra lift. This would provide the 2X2 that TA152H is referring to without imposing on the convenient roominess in the M5 cabin. I would also prefer a 1/2" thick body in order to handle the extra lift. I would also include quick connects on the fresh water intake as well as the auto dump outlet (I put these on mine). I would also like to see some type of muffling system to make the M5 quieter. That's about it and in fact, I am going to delegate Mytee to build me the thicker body, which John LaBarbera said was feasible. The Mytee M5 is absolutely excellent and a great foundation for further development.
Give us your defintion

Features? Be specific.

Price? provide a range

There was a Lot of great suggestions ,then..............

Deron06

Deron
Premium VIP
Sep 25, 2010
Real Name
Deron Najarian
Business Location
United States
Yes I understand "no name brands" but the fact is "high end" is determined by who is leading at that particular time. At this time, it is expected that a high level portable should have 500 psi, autofill, auto dump and suitable sized reservoir tanks. it should also be impressive looking for the customers, be easy to work on and be reliable. The point is, there is further development needed and less so on the M5 than any other portable presently made.

MasterSteamClean

May 18, 2010
Fl
www.mastersteamcleaning.com
Real Name
Erik
Business Location
United States
Who will be the first to make the 4 vac system or 2x2. the comment deron made with 2 cuffs out the exhaust is a bad idea. that would be 4 cords , too much , And 3 cords is really too much .

4 hi watt air motors in par/series is 40 amps wright there a 500 psi pump 3 amps pump out 1 amp , just a little too much unless system was 220 and converted back to 115v

230-260 cfm is more than enough for 125-150 ft and for any rotary and superior lift. Really my system at 230 cfm and 10 hg is just fine but since im a power junkie =I need more power and the 2x2 or 2 stacks with 4 motors is the answer.

Steambrite has a unit that is what im speaking of minus hi air watt motors its just 2 stage.

Deron06

Deron
Premium VIP
Sep 25, 2010
Real Name
Deron Najarian
Business Location
United States
How are two vacs out the back, more power consuming than putting them inside the portable? At least if it is in back, you have the option of using the back booster or not and have not cluttered up the portable cabin. If the vacuum which is second in series pulls fewer amps, shouldn't both vacs in the back booster pull fewer than two equal parallel vacs? I understand that the electrical issues would need to be overcome but I hope it can be done. For the record, I have used dual 3 stage vacs on one circuit and they were not as efficient as LMB2A's.

John LaBarbera

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Sep 13, 2008
San Diego, Ca
www.mytee.com
Real Name
John LaBarbera
Would you expect a "High End Porty" to have:

On-line exploded assembly views and parts list w/cost and the ability to order these on-line?

Would the controls be in the base or elevated?

Would you expect these machine to be in Supply Stores so that you could tested and evaluated before purchase?

Maybe yes, maybe no. What do YOU think?

Deron06

Deron
Premium VIP
Sep 25, 2010
Real Name
Deron Najarian
Business Location
United States
Would you expect a "High End Porty" to have:

On-line exploded assembly views and parts list w/cost and the ability to order these on-line?

Would the controls be in the base or elevated?

Would you expect these machine to be in Supply Stores so that you could tested and evaluated before purchase?

Maybe yes, maybe no. What do YOU think?
One thing I like about the M5 that I did not have with the other machines was the switches being elevated. It is nice not having to bend down and it is funny how small details like this make a machine nicer to use. I definitely think it is advantageous to be able to evaluate a machine in person before buying it. I also like the idea of being able to order parts online with assembly manuals but this is a luxury. The most important aspects of a portable are;
1. cleaning power (vac and psi)
2. quality of construction and components
3. reliability
4. appearance
5. features
6. ease to work on and work with
7. mobility

I think that about covers it.

Canada-Eh

Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
coswaysupply.com
Real Name
Kenny Cosway
Business Location
Canada
Some of you guys like heavy machines eh?
I really don't get this whole 150' hose run. if thats what you want get a TM.
Even when I use my dual 3 stage machine I run 15 or 20' if possible and then only add if I HAVE to but NEVER more than 60'

Other day we did a real world test with a powerful TM----200 foot hose run and 12 hour true dry time. TRUE DRY TIME :)
56 BLOWER!

Latest posts