Getting that hourly up | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Getting that hourly up

Jan 20, 2020
Real Name
Benji Zimmerman
You will get there, in 3 years I got over 150 all positive reviews. The key is pre vacuuming, spray the cleaner thoroughly, work on stains and extract thoroughly with at least one dry pass to every wet pass.

I do one dry pass immediately following a cleaning (wet pass), and then double triangle the area and then overlap slightly and repeat. For extra soil I slow down a bit and it flushes it out. My dry times are amazing. Customers rave about it.

Reactions: Fedri

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
I wonder if I can maintain wand speed like this with my Legend XL. I typically move a bit slower with more dry passes to maintain heat and shorten dry times. Maybe I'm too meticulous, but maybe needlessly so....
I go with a similar speed on those trashed and little bit faster on the cleaner carpets, always slower passes with the back strokes and I have an etm with a little giant heater on board, sounds like you are going too slow, speed it up a bit.

Jan 20, 2020
Real Name
Benji Zimmerman
I would go insane cleaning that slow. He has to be jetted at something like 6 flow and at 550 psi with ¼" line is getting about 1.15 gpm to the floor with that rig. That is going to take extra time right off the top.

How much faster could I push with a non-glide Prochem quad wand, I run 350-400 psi... lower on Berber. As a percentage?

Be kind, I'm used to a portable when I worked for another guy. I probably carried the speed over.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
I do one dry pass immediately following a cleaning (wet pass), and then double triangle the area and then overlap slightly and repeat. For extra soil I slow down a bit and it flushes it out. My dry times are amazing. Customers rave about it.
That is a good practice doing an immediate dry pass after a wet pass, I do that only on berber carpets that is thin it won't hold the water. After buying the boss filter my dry times are at 2 hours now, I use to advertise 4-6 hours before but the boss filter doesn't reduce the air flow as some other filter do.

Jan 20, 2020
Real Name
Benji Zimmerman
practice doing an immediate dry pass after a wet pass, I do that only on berber carpets that is thin it won't hold the water. After buying the boss filter my dry times are at 2 hours now, I use to advertise 4-6 hours before but the boss filter doesn't reduce the air flow as some other filter do.

I just have the stock Prochem Legend XL in tank screen. I clean it out at the half way point on each job, and every new job.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
How much faster could I push with a non-glide Prochem quad wand, I run 350-400 psi... lower on Berber. As a percentage?

Be kind, I'm used to a portable when I worked for another guy. I probably carried the speed over.
I don't know your climate, but you should practice on your own carpet repeatedly until you nail down your setup, breakdown and dry times. You won't get porty hate from me, I make more loot cleaning "cleaner" carpet with my portable everyday vs my TM jobs.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Personally I average about $200 an hour on most residential. Hose management is the biggest efficiency to nail down.

What chems are you using ? Are you able to identify the fiber type? Don't give things away, especially to first time customers, most won't use you more than once every 3 years. If they use you more often give a discount then.

Jan 20, 2020
Real Name
Benji Zimmerman
Personally I average about $200 an hour on most residential. Hose management is the biggest efficiency to nail down.

What chems are you using ? Are you able to identify the fiber type? Don't give things away, especially to first time customers, most won't use you more than once every 3 years. If they use you more often give a discount then.

I use esteam attack full bore on really trashed carpet, or a blend of Procyon extreme Attack and Boost all where applicable, or esteam suspend free. My go to rinse is Prochem all fibre rinse. On Berbers I've used esteam performance CBS (emulsifier) and Procyon extreme as my prespray.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Honestly I used Procyon at a different company and did not find it to be adequate. I would suggest you try Robs BioPro 10k for Polys, and Black Label for Nylons. I also love boosting with his Pure O2.

Its amazing how many less spotters I've had to carry since using his line of products.

Jan 20, 2020
Real Name
Benji Zimmerman
Honestly I used Procyon at a different company and did not find it to be adequate. I would suggest you try Robs BioPro 10k for Polys, and Black Label for Nylons. I also love boosting with his Pure O2.

Its amazing how many less spotters I've had to carry since using his line of products.

Been thinking about getting some Black label and Unchained from Rob. I could still use a touch of Boost-all where applicable. It really does make the colors pop. And it seems to have a slight deodorant property too it. Love my all-fibre rinse though. I have my customers do a hand test halfway through the job (usually at the top of the stairs), they can see my results, then when they see how soft it is, how it's nearly dry and smell the clean they're amazed. Positive moment of truth.

Jan 20, 2020
Real Name
Benji Zimmerman
I don't know your climate, but you should practice on your own carpet repeatedly until you nail down your setup, breakdown and dry times. You won't get porty hate from me, I make more loot cleaning "cleaner" carpet with my portable everyday vs my TM jobs.

I'm in Calgary Alberta. It's 25 Celsius at noon and dry af. It helps. I run a truckmount now, but if I have apartment gigs I can rent a portable. Not enough work to buy a portable now though. With feeding my hoses down from a 3rd floor balcony, I'd probably be alright with my setup.

Just did a high end acreage where I had to run 100 ft to the door, and another 200 inside. Dry times were longer than usual but it came out great. I did have to slow down though.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
I would probably ditch the procyon. We used it for a number of years but there's better available now.

If you have to boost your pre spray with several different chems, then the pre spray probably sucks.

At a certain point the boosters your adding are doing all the work and the procyon is just taking up water space

Jan 20, 2020
Real Name
Benji Zimmerman
I would probably ditch the procyon. We used it for a number of years but there's better available now.

If you have to boost your pre spray with several different chems, then the pre spray probably sucks.

At a certain point the boosters your adding are doing all the work and the procyon is just taking up water space

It has worked fairly well, and also it's great on pet urine jobs where there is wicking to spray post clean and wick it into a terry towel and do a quick re-extract.

But admittedly, it isn't the best pre-spray. E-steam attack mixed slightly lighter with a little boost all is my choice on 80% of jobs.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
IDK, once again I think a bit different than everyone else. But before I get to that, let me respond to some things

Offered him 10% on corporate referrals Over time you will realize that if you do exceptional work, you wont need to discount your price. These days its difficult to find a tradesman that does good work. Once a client finds one, they are hard pressed to go elsewhere. So why offer a discount?

I can charge more in the future once I have more google reviews and referrals. Once again your relating what you charge (whether giving discounts or increasing prices) based on factors other than your exceptional work. Your exceptional work wont change so why are you fluctuating your prices based on other factors?

Then I applied fabric protector - didn't charge for this as it was first time customer. So if you would have charged for protector what would you have made?

The efficiency thread" and "$100/hr... yah its nice, but dont skimp on your procedures to get there. Once you eliminate one step, its easy to eliminate another and soon you are just like all the other cleaners in your area. Be different, set yourself apart from the others.

Why? Because once you get a following, you wont need to advertise. Your clients wont go anywhere else.

Jan 20, 2020
Real Name
Benji Zimmerman
It has worked fairly well, and also it's great on pet urine jobs where there is wicking to spray post clean and wick it into a terry towel and do a quick re-extract.

But admittedly, it isn't the best pre-spray. E-steam attack mixed slightly lighter with a little boost all is my choice on 80% of jobs.
cy thread" and "$100/hr... yah its nice, but dont skimp on your procedures to get there. Once you eliminate one step, its easy to eliminate another and soon you are just like all the other cleaners in your area. Be different, set yourself apart from the others.

Usually 15-20 an area on fabric protection depending on size. Great post. I will tattoo this on myself. As soon as I have the reviews up and can get a bit more speed, prices can be slightly raised again. I don't want to compete for the bottom of the barrel though. I do amazing work. Just got to find efficiencies and get that referral biz.

I'm willing to send him a 10% kickback on any corporate biz he refers. The way I put it to him, refer me 3K in business that I close until your cleaning next year and you've paid for it.

Granted I am new and trying to get a foothold. I just try to do the next right thing, and exceed expectations for now as my expenses are low... once the referrals and repeats are cooking I can raise prices and be busier and more experienced - thus working faster.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
One other thing, you should be near 100/hr including drive time and time between jobs if you want to actually get ahead. So 8hr day = $800 or close to, most established guys are getting more then that.

There's no point in being in business to just be in business you might as well just get a job. The whole point is to be better off than a job.

You cleaning standards are high thats good, you just have to value the service high yourself then your clients will as well

Jan 20, 2020
Real Name
Benji Zimmerman
One other thing, you should be near 100/hr including drive time and time between jobs if you want to actually get ahead. So 8hr day = $800 or close to, most established guys are getting more then that.

There's no point in being in business to just be in business you might as well just get a job. The whole point is to be better off than a job.

You cleaning standards are high thats good, you just have to value the service high yourself then your clients will as well

I came from making 20/hr barely driving a forklift. I invested some cash in a used chevy 2500 ($7500), and a truckmount used that all in including refurb has cost me about $14,000. I'm into this cheap. Bought some new hoses and a stair tool. Spend about 200 a month on local Kijiji ads. They pay for themselves. I just want to get that foothold and save up the cash so I can justify a newer machine and newer van in 3 to 4 years. Bought a tile machine as well (hydroforce sx-15). When I got great reviews I can do lucaritive commercial tile and grout. Trust me - I want that 100K topline next year. I can afford to pay my bills and pay myself just a little, keeping the excess in the business. But when I take off it's going to be great. For now I do the next right thing, and yes, I will try to get just a bit more on every job.

Reactions: ACP

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
if your new, when your not working, then go out and market your services. DONT rely on your website or reviews or pay per click. Hit the street and build relationships with carpet stores, realtors (my favorite) and people that can get you work. It doesnt cost you anything

most cleaners send out flyers, do Valpak or pay per click (in other words pay for marketing, sit back and expect it to work) be different

Reactions: ACP

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
My highest return on investment by far, and I mean by a mile is property investment jobs. I work high rises where all TM guys cry and spank there asses in sales daily. One room and a closet and the carpet isn't even dirty, just a poly with a quick 5 minute scrub for wear. I average $250 an hour riding elevators. They can have
their TM jobs... by Christmas I will be 90% portable. No weather, park in the parking deck, no stairs and no dirt + the interior hallways mostly vlm... I'm McLovin it. Residential with constant marketing farming, with tons of cancels and change orders can suck it.