Getting started in T&G

Discussion in 'Hard Surface Care' started by Camsrd3, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Camsrd3

Camsrd3 New Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Chad Mull
    Hey TMF I want to introduce my self and say thank you for all the info that is willingly shared. And ask a few questions.

I am in the Hudson Valley in NY. I am looking to start doing mostly commercial tile cleaning but also some carpet.

What are the best ways you guys have found of getting commercial accounts i.e. Gas stations, restaurants etc.

I was thinking flyers advertising deep bathroom floor cleaning To get in the door in order to get the whole place.

So I got most of my set up already I bought all used thanks to the info here and saved a ton got everything I have so far for $2300 I have a
    Olympus m1200 (used twice to clean carpets)
    Th-40
    Cobra hand tool
    Hand held spinner
    Carpet wand
    Whittaker Crb
    Shark tile brush
    And hydroforce in line sprayer.
    And for Chems I have
    grout master
    Pro 10k
    And Releasit.

Anything you guys see I am missing to start out with?
    One last question how does everyone do their tile demos do you get all your equipment out or just spray scrub and wipe up?

Thx guys can't wait to continue learning and hopefully contribute to the community

• Like Like x 1
  2. Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor
    Premium VIP

Featured Threads:
    Technical support Bridgepoint
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +8,961 / 10 / -1
    Commercial accounts are best sold in person iwth a demo. Flyers won't do much for you. Get out and go business to business and try and reach the decision maker. Offer a demo.

Don't limit you calls to the dirtiest floors like convenience stores and gas stations and (some) restaurants. Go the the offices, banks, lawyers, doctors, real estate and so forth. This will be easier work and business they tend to value cleaning as more important.

For a small place, you could do a spray and wipe typoe of demo, but for the larger accounts, they know you are nto going to hand clean all the friends. They want to see you actual process using your equipment.

Expect to spend a lot of time calling and tlaking and probably making little progress. But if you prepare your agreements proeperly and service them well, once you have a job you can keep it for years. The effort is worht it even if it will be a very slow start.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Ken Raddon

Ken Raddon Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator
    Ratings:
    +1,142 / 8 / -0
    Ken Raddon
    Business Location:
    United States
    Okay young man this is me (the old man) dropping knowledge.

The cheapest way to get demos and subsequently accounts is door to door. You walk in with a clip board. You ask the first person you talk to if they are the owner and right away you say you are giving free estimates for _______. If they are not in charge they will go get the person who is. While they are gone you start your figures. By the time the HPIC gets back you will have so numbers for them that is provided you can see enough of the facility to figure out a price. When they walk up tell them you have some prices for cleaning and would like to schedule a free demonstration.

Most people are going to tell you NO. That's okay because you are going to take down a name and number as well as an address so you can call back every 3 to 6 months and try to schedule a free demo.

What will happen a few times a week or every ten to twenty times is you'll get a free demo scheduled and about that same number of times you'll get a cleaning scheduled.

The key is to use a two part work proposal so you can give them one and keep one for yourself. Every time you clean for someone try to get a letter of recommendation i.e. referral on company letter head and send a copy top everyone on your list (that you haven't cleaned for but want to) as another way to keep your name in front of them.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Camsrd3

Camsrd3 New Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Chad Mull
    Thank you for your responses you guys have some great points and ideas. I can tell you know what your doing and appreciate you sharing so I can learn too.

I like the demo idea just walking in and offering a demo that's not how I did the first few I have tried but I wil from now on.

And Scott you were right I have only focused on the dirtiest places I didn't even think of cleaning clean places but that is a great idea because they need it clean and it's easier so those places will be on my next list of visits.

And one question @KenRaddon . The letters of recommendation what exactly would I do with those? When I receive one would I send it out like a news letter to places I am trying to get and let me give a demo? Or how would I do that?
    Thx again

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. rob allen

rob allen Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Featured Threads:
    President
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +25,156 / 81 / -0
    Robert Allen,Jr.
    Business Location:
    United States
    Sounds like your on the right road. Scott and Ken are on point. I might add pass those cards out to everyone you can. Lastly, this is a relationship based business. Make friends and create relationships.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ACP

ACP Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +872 / 5 / -0
    Bjorn Marshall
    For demos I like to take double concentrated grout master in a small flip top bottle, and also viper restore the acid one in another flip top small bottle.

I squirt a little in a grout line and scrub with the shark brush then wipe with towel.

Usually gives a good idea of what to expect and then I tell the customer that's without even using the truck yet

Sent from my SM-N920V using TMF Forums mobile app

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff Member Moderator Premium VIP

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +17,449 / 80 / -0
    jason fisher
    Business Location:
    United States
    That is what I do on residential estimates, it gives customers a good visual.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ken Raddon

Ken Raddon Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator
    Ratings:
    +1,142 / 8 / -0
    Ken Raddon
    Business Location:
    United States
    You write a cover letter saying something to the effect of... Hello __________ I just cleaned the ____ at _____. I took the liberty of including their referral letter to try and give you the confidence that I can indeed handle cleaning your _________. Let me know if I can help you in any way. By the way the price for your _______ is $XXX.

Sincerely,

Your name here.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Camsrd3

Camsrd3 New Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Chad Mull
    Awesome thanks for the pointers can't wait to put this to work!

• Like Like x 1
  10. PistolPete

PistolPete Active Member

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    Peter Dymond
    I might add it's a tough sell, so don't get discouraged. Many times the decision maker is either not there or has trained the gate keepers to shield them from sales calls.
    I like the idea of working up numbers and leaving a proposal.
    Also be aware that many commercial customers have BSC in place, so unless you bid on the whole cleaning package they won't bite.
    BUT if you do the leg work and stay at it, it will open up, just takes time and persistence.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. aloha one

aloha one Scrub a DUB DUB!

Semi retired
    Ratings:
    +21,515 / 106 / -0
    Dave Moonan
    Business Location:
    United States
    Yes sir...demos SELL!

• Agree Agree x 1