GETTING PAID | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

GETTING PAID

Discussion in 'Starting Your Business' started by Mark Von Lay, Oct 5, 2016.

CONNECTING CLEANERS WORLDWIDE

1. Mark Von Lay

Mark Von Lay New Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone....I'll get right to it...when getting paid $$ how do most of you go about it of course there is checks and I think most know in there gut who they can take a Check from most of the time...then obviously there is cash but for newbies that are still learning what would be the electronic ways of .PAID IS IT a swiper for the phone or pad or..?..I'm totally clueless on this function unless I'm using my card at a store....I'm sure others have wondered the same so please what is the easiest way...thanks

2. Todd the Cleaner

Todd the Cleaner Todd Cottino
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Premium VIP

Sep 4, 2011
    Male
    Owner / Operator
    Pahrump, Nevada, United States
    Ratings:
    +25,827 / 58 / -0
    90% of my customers pay by check, it's actually the way I prefer anymore with the new mobile check deposit feature most banks have. The only time I have to go to the bank anymore is to deposit cash.

The other 10% pay by cash or credit card. Get the Square app on your phone and you can be taking credit cards tomorrow. It puts the money directly into your bank account the next business day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff Member Moderator Premium VIP

Mar 30, 2010
    Male
    texas
    Ratings:
    +18,774 / 84 / -0
    Square, about 70% of my customers pay with a card. I advoid checks as much as I can unless they are 60+ or live ina McMansion.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Mark Von Lay

Mark Von Lay New Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guy's

5. Kingdomcome84

Kingdomcome84 Active Member

Jul 28, 2013
    Male
    Ratings:
    +308 / 1 / -0
    95% pay cash
    5% pay check
    0% pay card

• Like Like x 2
  6. emeraldclean

Premium VIP

Feb 20, 2012
    Male
    owner operator Carpet/ Furnace & Duct Cleaning
    Beausejour Manitoba Canada
    Ratings:
    +11,247 / 16 / -0
    I take all forms of payment including first born!
    Actually loads of cheques , I have Moneris for credit card/ debit payments and of course cash .

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jose Holguin

Premium VIP

Oct 20, 2012
    Male
    Vail, CO
    Ratings:
    +10,035 / 46 / -0
    Says a lot about your customer base.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Jose Holguin

Premium VIP

Oct 20, 2012
    Male
    Vail, CO
    Ratings:
    +10,035 / 46 / -0
    70% credit card
    20% checks
    10% cash

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2011
    Male
    Owner
    CA
    Ratings:
    +531 / 2 / -0
    I agree with Todd, get set up with square to help keep your receivables reeled in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. wandwizard

wandwizard Randy Dockins
    Premium VIP

Nov 12, 2008
    Male
    carpet and upholstery cleaning.
    Ratings:
    +4,724 / 14 / -0
    I've been only taking checks or cash for 29 years. I took my very first credit card just recently using House Call Pro. It is a pretty slick way of taking cards using the smart phone camera. I never plan on pushing credit cards as a means of payment, but it's nice to have the means to take them with HCP. Only thing I didn't like was the charges. They're just slightly higher than Square though. I think I was charged like 4.60 for a single transaction of 160. Somebody's raking in some serious cash off these card swipes.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. ACP

ACP Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2014
    Male
    Washington
    Ratings:
    +1,428 / 7 / -0
    We used square for about 6 years, rates are lower with house call pro... plus all the extra features you get for pennies comparatively.

we are mostly all CC, maybe 15% checks but only from trusted customers, and rarely cash... although we did a ticket for over $1000 the other day and the lady went in her safe and busted out all $20s lol Home was in a country club so it really had me wondering what kind of business she is in

checks are outdated imo, its basically an I OWE U. its nice you can mobile deposit but still a renter could write you a bad one and good luck taking something less than $500 to court or collections

12. wandwizard

wandwizard Randy Dockins
    Premium VIP

Nov 12, 2008
    Male
    carpet and upholstery cleaning.
    Ratings:
    +4,724 / 14 / -0
    Checks are still the number 1 method of payment around here by a land slide. Pretty rare I even get asked about credit cards and frankly don't want to encourage it.

I just checked Square's rates were 2.75 and HCP I think is 2.9. Is there a monthly fee with Square? I do like being able to just use the camera for taking credit cards and that its not stored on my phone. I don't want that stuff on my phone, period.

13. envy

envy Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2015
    Ratings:
    +564 / 3 / -0
    I about doubled my prices in July and went from 50/50 checks/cash to 90/10 checks cash. Maybe get 2-3 card transactions a month when someone remembers they're trying to earn flyer miles.

Sent from my iPad using TMF Forums

Also, when they ask if I take cards, I say I do but it's my least favorite way because I have to pay service fees, they usually use the card anyway but then tip in cash way bigger than what's normal for me.

I'm not sure if it makes people stop thinking of me as a business owner and more of a guy trying to make a living but I have been getting $40-75 tips when that conversation comes up.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Todd the Cleaner

Todd the Cleaner Todd Cottino
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Premium VIP

Sep 4, 2011
    Male
    Owner / Operator
    Pahrump, Nevada, United States
    Ratings:
    +25,827 / 58 / -0
    Knock on wood I'm going on 6 years in business taking hundreds of checks per year and I have never had one bad check.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Mar 30, 2010
    Male
    texas
    Ratings:
    +18,774 / 84 / -0
    No monthy fee with Square but if you key the card instead of swipping it is 3.5%

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Mar 30, 2010
    Male
    texas
    Ratings:
    +18,774 / 84 / -0
    I had gotten a few bad checks all from military personal so I basically put a stop to taking checks. If someone asks about paying with a check I ask if they can pay with a card and explain that we get so few checks that it is usually 3 weeks before we deposit them.

17. Sierra Clean Care

Sierra Clean Care Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1,153 / 6 / -0
    Cash, cheque, debit, visa, master card....... The easier it is for them to pay you, the better.... Oh, and etransfer.....
    Jeff @ SCC

• Like Like x 2
  18. Mark Von Lay

Mark Von Lay New Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys that helps ..I prefer checks or cash but most people under 45 it seems don't fiddle with checks around here it's all cards....just gotta get my act together with the ability to take them. There was a deal that steambrite had on a swipe and a company that was pretty cheap on fee as well,,I'll pull that up and take a look at that again too. The adventures continue, and listen you guys are great I have learned a ton from all you guys over the last 3 months ...once again THANKS !

19. Artie09

Premium VIP

Dec 17, 2012
    Male
    Owner and operater
    Azusa , CA
    Ratings:
    +3,122 / 14 / -0
    I rarely take checks but once in awhile an old lady doesn't have a card or is not trusting enough then I'll take it. I can always go back and whoop azz lol

I use the square app, easy or cash

• Like Like x 1
  20. Pinosan

Premium VIP

Nov 22, 2011
    Male
    Owner/operator Carpet cleaning Tech
    California
    Ratings:
    +8,076 / 43 / -0
    No cash no cards either pay by check or call someone else.