Generator tripping brakers | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Generator tripping brakers

renew carpet

Dec 14, 2019
Real Name
joseph blumberg
I have a Vortex Lite with mytee turbo heater. Im running it on a Predator 9000 generator, with 7200 running watts. The Vortex Lite has a 19 amp and 17 amp cord, and the mytee turbo with all 4 heaters on is 2400 watts (20 amps). I run the 2 cords from the vortex into the 2 120/20 amp outlets and the heater into the 30 amp 240v outlet. Thats only 6500 watts. My breaker is tripping on the 120 volts outlets. Am i hooking this up wrong or is it possible the generator is bad. Sometimes it will run over an hour, then trip, sometimes it wont blow until the second job, immediatley. I have even tried running all 3 cords into the 240v/30 amp plug with an adapter and it blows immediately, and that should handle 7200 watts. any thoughts?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
19a cord is tripping the 20a outlets?

19 is overloaded. But you can help it by checking all the connections. Any loose connector or even a loose plug or bad outlet will overheat it and trip the breaker. Or melt sht. Technically circuits should only be loaded to 80% of their capacity. Which would be 16a.

renew carpet

Dec 14, 2019
Real Name
joseph blumberg
If thats the case, then what you are saying is that I cant run any generator with this machine, which I know isnt the case because I know of 6 cleaners who run the same machine on the generators from their van, as well as should easily be able to run it from the 240v 30 amp outlet

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Check your wiring. Check the outlet itself. Pull it out and tighten its screws onto the wires. It is a generator and does heat up and vibrate. Check to make sure your plug is tight in the socket. Open your machine follow the wires to each connection. Check them. Anything loose will arc. And trip breakers or as i said melt sht..

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I have a Vortex Lite with mytee turbo heater. Im running it on a Predator 9000 generator, with 7200 running watts. The Vortex Lite has a 19 amp and 17 amp cord, and the mytee turbo with all 4 heaters on is 2400 watts (20 amps). I run the 2 cords from the vortex into the 2 120/20 amp outlets and the heater into the 30 amp 240v outlet. Thats only 6500 watts. My breaker is tripping on the 120 volts outlets. Am i hooking this up wrong or is it possible the generator is bad. Sometimes it will run over an hour, then trip, sometimes it wont blow until the second job, immediatley. I have even tried running all 3 cords into the 240v/30 amp plug with an adapter and it blows immediately, and that should handle 7200 watts. any thoughts?
It's always about the motors . As they get worn out, they calling for more power, with more power more heat is produced , in laymen terms.
With a generator, you'll have to have more wiggle room ( contrary to popular belief) I'm not familiar with model that you're using, but even with plenty of dedicated plugs, you should divide consumption to a different legs, meaning utilize some wall like plugs and if applicable, use 3 or 4 prong locking outlet . Same with 240V . One outlet will provide 30 amps, the other one
( dryer type ) should have a 50 amps protection. You don't want to channel all of your cords into 240V plugs or 120V. Balance it out. Big culprit is your Mytee Hot turbo. It'll suck life of your genset, the way to get away with it, is to run turbo only on 2-3 switches or get gauge 10 extension cord and run Turbo on customer's electricity. Make sure your motors have space for nice breathing, their comutators are free from carbon deposits, your brushes are in good condition. You would have problems even if you had 10-13kw genset.
Less induction( fatigue motors) calling for more amps and you don't have it available. Case closed.
My final thought. Mytee Turbo costs close to a $700. If you like heat, you're not getting it with Turbo( not continuous one) Depending on your circumstances, get Lg 2ht or 3 ht and your worries are gone. What is a $500 difference, with your abilities, you'll make ROI in less than one day.
If you like some 240 V motors, I have variety of used ones, you can have them for $30 each (some 5.7" -3 stage, 2 - 6.6- 2 stage- $40)

renew carpet

Dec 14, 2019
Real Name
joseph blumberg
The generator is only one month old, i evenly distribute the cords, but the myee doesn trip on the 240v outlet, it stays on, the 120v outlets from the extractor is what trips

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
The generator is only one month old, i evenly distribute the cords, but the myee doesn trip on the 240v outlet, it stays on, the 120v outlets from the extractor is what trips
The 240v should be fine. But the 120v ones will act no differently then if you were plugged into a house circuit. The only 2 differences is you're generating it obviously the other you know for certain its dedicated. But it will trip just like the homeowners outlet. My old machine had a faulty thermal reset. One of my motors kept tripping breakers. I opened machine and found tge wiring leading to this reset had completely melted off its insulation and bare wire was exposed.

How many amps is the 240v circuit rated at again?

renew carpet

Dec 14, 2019
Real Name
joseph blumberg
240v/30 amps. should be able to run all 3 cords on that. others cleaners do it with ease. I think my generator is bad. I seen a video where a guy has a mytee escape with a diesel heater running all 3 cords thru the 30 amp 240v outlet with an adapter that has 3 120 outlets. so there has to be problem. like i said only a month old

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
240v/30 amps. should be able to run all 3 cords on that. others cleaners do it with ease. I think my generator is bad. I seen a video where a guy has a mytee escape with a diesel heater running all 3 cords thru the 30 amp 240v outlet with an adapter that has 3 120 outlets. so there has to be problem. like i said only a month old
So in his case he is useing 1 for a vac 1 for 2nd vac plus pump. And the diesel heater plus pumpout is probably on the same side as the single vac. That would be well balanced. His machine im guessing may also be in series? That also helps a little in dropping amperage.

On 30a 240 you have max 7200w ×.80= 5760 watts available. Regardless if the gen can produce 15k or 10k. Sometimes they can go a bit higher before tripping but dont count on it. Lean towards the lower side.
When it is split using a splitter. like those useing dryer outlets. Then each side is split now [email protected] 120v @ 30a.
So it be 30a x 120v = 3600w x.80=2880w On each side. If you buy a splitter it should have push breakers on it knocking it down to 20a. Making it no different then the 2 outlets that are giving you trouble. Your running wattage of tge gen is also close to whst you are pulling. If you read the plates you will notice all stats are at 50% capacity. Life, hours per gallon ect...

This is what i would do. Being you are useing electric for heat. You already own the gen. Use gen for machine. Using its 240v socket split instead of the 120v outlets. But bring heater into home or at least to front door, porch whatever. Use household electric for heater. A. It relieves some heft off of the gen. And B. It brings the heat closer to your work area. Next option would be go with fuel fired heat. Propane or diesel. Less amps and way more heat. And gen will have no problems powering your needs.