Generator heat exchanger Etm

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Thanks! It's taken me 25 years and 70,000+ jobs to boil it down to what I actually need (and it's not even close to what the industry sez I should have). This is the internals of the machine that the generator will power. Just 30 amps total draw and it will easily come off the truck and go inside if needed for high rise work. 245 CFM, 15" Hg and 1.75 GPM through the wand, no clog in the tank filter, APO & adjustable chemical injection. Simple
20180908_172004.jpg

Less is more

NickNZ

Jul 14, 2016
Real Name
Nick Kelly
Great setup Jim, I just had a look at the cobb heat exchanger on their website you said you used, how do you think it would go with using the exhaust heat from the genny and exhaust heat from the vac motors instead of adding the other smaller exchangers ?

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
The vac motors would modulate the exhaust heat and it would likely never need any kind of high temp dump solenoid. Vacuum blower exhaust can have temps up to 230°, series electric vac motors run around 150°. You would likely maintain 150-160° all day with a 13 HP generator, perhaps slightly higher with a larger motor. This is plenty IMO.

Dec 10, 2017
Real Name
Erich Allred
Thanks! It's taken me 25 years and 70,000+ jobs to boil it down to what I actually need (and it's not even close to what the industry sez I should have). This is the internals of the machine that the generator will power. Just 30 amps total draw and it will easily come off the truck and go inside if needed for high rise work. 245 CFM, 15" Hg and 1.75 GPM through the wand, no clog in the tank filter, APO & adjustable chemical injection. Simple
View attachment 79870

Less is more
what is the purpose of the third water pump?

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Here's the info for the hx (it is a Cobb supply WLD55 you can find it on their website (for reasons unknown to me the link will not show up on here). It is in black exhaust wrap on page one of this thread.

BigPapa

Apr 11, 2013
Real Name
Dan Ziegler
Man...This blows me away...Even the pictures are greek to this carpet cleaner...LOL
Seriously Jim...If you are half as good at fishing as you are at this, You should be a out doors guide.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Bigpapa, taking the best hobby in the world and turning it into work isn't for me. I enjoy hunting down big fish without pressure, it's so much more fun that way!

steel8045

Dec 12, 2015
Real Name
Miguel Alonso
Here's the info for the hx (it is a Cobb supply WLD55 you can find it on their website (for reasons unknown to me the link will not show up on here). It is in black exhaust wrap on page one of this thread.
Is the h/e good? Will it last. In other words is it worth its money. Built right I guess you can say. Idk if you ever had and ran this one before. Do you think it will create good heat if its the only heater

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Allred, I still love my mag drive APO it's in my everyday machine ( this one is just a backup that I can play with), but I am going back to a better diaphragm pump APO design and field test it. Nothing is ever good enough for me and I will always experiment.

Steel8045, this is an all stainless steel heat exchanger and is burst rated to 3000 psi. It is also a water jacket heat exchanger which means the exhaust goes through 19 small tubes surrounded by 4 gallons of water, it has a higher output then the inverse style heat exchanger commonly found on most truck mounts. It's a solid piece of equipment and I can wholeheartedly recommend it. It will definitely make enough heat if that's your only heat source.

Jan 9, 2018
Central Arkansas
Real Name
Cody Davidson
2 for cleaning solution, 1 for the pumpout.
This happens to be the next step in my project... adding chemical injection to the solution line to get around having a solution tank. I understand the concept (I think), but how do you meter it?

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Upstream injection is the easiest to implement without sacrificing flow. In order to pull in chemical you need to have an appreciable pressure drop on the outlet of the injector, this is best attained with the injector attached directly to the pump intake without any hose in between the two. For my setup a J E Adams #7655 injector has the most finite adjustment along with great flow. I also use a very small dema tip in the chemical line to use just a small amount of chemical. In order to have extremely even injection you need to run an RV in line pressure regulator ~$10 between the sink and injector. This way no matter what the incoming pressure is as you work around town the pressure the injector sees will always be the same and always inject the same. I hope that makes sense.