Generator heat exchanger Etm

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Building my last ETM/Portable cleaning machine and going super micro. Larry Cobbs WLD55 heat exchanger and 3 other finned tube exchangers are creating super impressive numbers at a 1/2 gph burn.

6 flow 200°
8 flow 190°
14 flow 170°

It's not ready to mount in a van until the final compact version of the generator on top of the submount water tank and frame is finished, but for a 13 hp single it's killing it.

20180624_154914.jpg

Mocked up and running.

20180624_141458.jpg

Flywheel/motor air conditioning from incoming cold tap water, crankcase temps are 155-165°.

Once I really utilize the built in fan between the generator heat and rear crankcase I might have too much heat.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Stock Aw-29 6 flow wand with 50' ¼" Neptune hose actual flow in 1 minute (2.1 GPM capable pump).
20180624_210526.jpg

Not really acceptable carpet cleaning flow, but if your TM is touting high heat and a crappy wand you need to measure. Pumps, heat exchangers and hose are less of a problem than the actual wand itself....

Reactions: Ymetimme

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
Looks resourceful. I have that same generator. I use it to power my inverter welder on jobsite that dont have power hooked up yet. It's been flawless.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Jim, why aren't you out there designing custom setups for guys and then relaxing on the lake six days a week, lol? You shouldn't be pushing a wand, you should be relaxing in the garage doing "tinkering" that makes you mega-bucks!!!

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
@Smtwn janitorial These predator Chonda motors have a great track record of reliability. I want to run the motor as smart and cool as possible before asking anything from it. I've never seen it done before, but I think it will pay dividends.

@Mama Fen I still love scrubbing rugs everyday for some unknown reason, always have. One day I might do exactly what you are talking about when the body says no more.

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
@Ymetimme I'm making ground. Crankcase temps are still hanging around 160° and solution temps are 175° at 1.75 GPM.
That is cool

something you should try is throwing a catalytic converter at the end of your exhaust that'll bump the exhaust temp up considerably

I have found wrapping a copper coil around a Cadillac converter can produce incredible Heat

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
@Ymetimme I'm making ground. Crankcase temps are still hanging around 160° and solution temps are 175° at 1.75 GPM.
You know I was really thinking about it 175 degrees cleans pretty darn good (compared to tap water)you wouldn't have to worry about Steam Pocket either or rigging up a temp control. I know it isn't ideal (240) but it also is not going to go boom in your face

I have a Giant heater and it rocks it maintains 240 +

But in all honesty it's scary hot burning skin right off of you without Mercy

if you could get it to hit 180 and maintain it that would be awesome

Jim keep up your great work and ignore the hate mongers

Feel free to instant message me if needed I have Fab shop and would be happy to help you out not everybody has a welder plasma cutters drill presses bandsaws Mills and lathes at their disposal but I do. And would be happy to help

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I'm not trying to make much more heat. For the jobs I do, it's more than enough. The passive heat exchangers are working great and are feed with tap pressure before the pump to not diminish it's capability. It will only use two 12v wires for the Murphy switchgauge and high temp dump solenoid as a backup. Cooling the motor under stock operating temps first was the primary goal, then harvesting the heat second. The header will be considerably shorter in the final arrangement and will add a little more heat.

Believe it or not, pressure inside heat exchangers affects temps, 500 psi takes on more heat than 150 psi due to density.

Reactions: Ymetimme

Magnum Clean

Oct 9, 2014
Real Name
Andrew N.
I like this idea! Is that white housing attached to the motor the fan and is it pulling heat from engine to heat exchanger?

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
The cold tap water goes through the small exchanger in front of the flywheel first, to cool the air the motor pulls through itself. Then the water goes through an exchanger under the generator and then another identical one on the side, before going to the pump with a 35-40° rise in temperature. Currently I'm feeding the pump 115° water which started at 80° out of the tap.

At 1.75 GPM it will not drop below 135° wide open trigger for 10 mins. At normal cleaning triggering I stay at 170-175°. Which is all I need for my big flow wand. I could probably stay at 200° with a 6 flow wand, but I'd rather have mad flow and less heat than high heat and low flow... it cleans faster IMO.

Reactions: Magnum Clean

Magnum Clean

Oct 9, 2014
Real Name
Andrew N.
Very nice. What did you use for the exhaust pipe that goes from engine to HX, and how does it attach to the engine (or to original exhaust that was on generator?)

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I ordered 2 predator specific 1" threaded exhaust adapters on eBay. I used Walker 46971 flex exhaust and a SS half coupling with a clamp for a really solid connection at the engine and the tubing perfectly slides over the tube with union fitting that I discussed with Larry to include with the order. The exhaust wrap definitely helps. Overall a very simple setup and Larry's water jacket heat exchanger design holds ~ 4 gallons of water inside with a 1500 psi rating, so no problem with tile cleaning pressures at all.

Magnum Clean

Oct 9, 2014
Real Name
Andrew N.
I ordered 2 predator specific 1" threaded exhaust adapters on eBay. I used Walker 46971 flex exhaust and a SS half coupling with a clamp for a really solid connection at the engine and the tubing perfectly slides over the tube with union fitting that I discussed with Larry to include with the order. The exhaust wrap definitely helps. Overall a very simple setup and Larry's water jacket heat exchanger design holds ~ 4 gallons of water inside with a 1500 psi rating, so no problem with tile cleaning pressures at all.
Thanks for the info. Does it quiet down the generator a bit too?

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
You can cool the oil and warm incoming water simultaneously if your generator engine has an oil filter. Steamway did this with a remote oil filter kit on Kohler motors very simply, it's a great way to extend motor life.

BigPapa

Apr 11, 2013
Real Name
Dan Ziegler
dang...If I had just a ounce of your talent, I wouldn't be cleaning carpet...LOL
In the handy class, I must have been sick that day...LOL

Reactions: Jim Davisson