General Q's for portable users; foaming, wasted solution..

NYCraig

Dec 4, 2016
Real Name
Craig M
Owner of a 500 PSI Ninja Classic and I have some general operating questions for those using the same machine or portable users in general.

The first is how do you guys go about preventing foam in your waste tank? My current protocol is to pour just a bit of defoamer into the waste tank prior to starting any work. The issue then comes as the tank starts to fill up..

A few times since owning the machine it has "overflowed" and began to shoot excess water out of the bottom. To fix this issue I have since started emptying the tank as soon as it is half way full. I'm curious if everyone else with a Ninja has to do this? And if so are you then adding more defoamer after emptying?

My other common issue is how to accurately estimat how much solution I will need to clean a given area. I'm getting better but there are many times I mix say 5 gallons of solution and only use 3-4 gallons. That last gallon or 2 must be extracted and it's at this point I began to extract but shortly after the machine clogs and the waste tank is filled with foam.. I then empty, spray some defoamer, and continue but often times it will cause a large amount of foam once again. Any way to resolve this frustrating issue?

Last one, when on a job in which you will be cleaning upholstery then say a wool area rug and a room w/ nylon carpet; is it just a fact of life you must clean one item, drain the solution tank, then fill again with the appropriate solution for natural/synthetic carpet or fabric, and repeat?

Thanks everyone.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Several ways to deal with foam. However, most carpet should not foam. If you get frequent issues with foaming, you may be using too much prespray or a poor performing prespray that is foamy or requires you to use too much chemical.

Foam can also be residues from previous cleanings that were not rinsed out completely.

There are powdered defoamers that can be applied to a carpet that is foaming. Some dilute the liquid defoamer and suck a little into the vacuum hose. This reduces foam levels before it gets to the waste tank and can be more effective.

Some soak a sponge with diluted liquid defoamer. Drop that in the waste tank.

Don't worry about having excess solution. The cost should not be much. With a little experience you will get used to how much to mix up. When you are extracting it from the fresh water tank, extract mostly air, not a lot of liquid at one time. Better on the vacuum motor and less foam.

Yes, do use the appropriate cleaning solution for the article being cleaned, wool, nylon or other synthetic may require a different prespray.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Add powder defoamer to waste tank. If you add 2 5 gal buckets to your solution tank. Then you should be able to clean till empty without dumping. But i check periodically. Look in to make sure your not foaming. Foam wont lift the check ball. When dumping. You add more defoamer to waste tank before continuing. Powder defoamer doesnt take much. I just throw a scoop or even half scoop and good to go.

And what are you using? Check the chems your using. Some foam like crazy where others dont.

And also watch as your working. Usually during prespray. Youll hit a spot where customer tried cleaning. It will foam as you spray over it. So when extracting that area. Keep an eye on your machine.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Owner of a 500 PSI Ninja Classic and I have some general operating questions for those using the same machine or portable users in general.

The first is how do you guys go about preventing foam in your waste tank? My current protocol is to pour just a bit of defoamer into the waste tank prior to starting any work. The issue then comes as the tank starts to fill up..

A few times since owning the machine it has "overflowed" and began to shoot excess water out of the bottom. To fix this issue I have since started emptying the tank as soon as it is half way full. I'm curious if everyone else with a Ninja has to do this? And if so are you then adding more defoamer after emptying?

My other common issue is how to accurately estimat how much solution I will need to clean a given area. I'm getting better but there are many times I mix say 5 gallons of solution and only use 3-4 gallons. That last gallon or 2 must be extracted and it's at this point I began to extract but shortly after the machine clogs and the waste tank is filled with foam.. I then empty, spray some defoamer, and continue but often times it will cause a large amount of foam once again. Any way to resolve this frustrating issue?

Last one, when on a job in which you will be cleaning upholstery then say a wool area rug and a room w/ nylon carpet; is it just a fact of life you must clean one item, drain the solution tank, then fill again with the appropriate solution for natural/synthetic carpet or fabric, and repeat?

Thanks everyone.
Scott answered the foaming question, I know the ninja classic very well. Clean 2-3 rooms dump it, Yes on the changing chems,, learn to fill just what you think you will use, you can always add more.
If your chems are foaming that much, change chems.

Reactions: Ed Valentine

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
No real guide to determining how much to fill your tank. Depends on the person operating, the wand being used, and the particulars of each job. Just pay attention and you'll start to figure it out. Personally, I'm terrible at estimating how much chemical I need to clean an area. Always either making too much or not enough.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
In a pinch dryer sheets work as a defoamer. I would bungee a bunch around the standpipe. Far from perfect, but it helps on those bad ones and most customers have them.

The sheets work lol? Never tried that. Ive used the liquid fabric softener in the waste tank. Never thought of the sheets ill have to remember that.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
The sheets work lol? Never tried that. Ive used the liquid fabric softener in the waste tank. Never thought of the sheets ill have to remember that.

Works great in the dishwasher when the kids try to use dish soap in there too lol

Reactions: keep it clean

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I agree, I put them in my drybags on the boat and everything smells great when you take it out. A couple under your car seats on a hot day and the car interior smells fabulous. I recommend them to customers with pets that lay on their sofa all the time, periodically putting a couple between the cushion in the fabric keeps it smelling great. Not to mention the other thousand uses they have lol

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
I used a porty for 9 years and it was a dance with the foam devil all the time. I solved it by finding chems that did less foaming i.e. better presprays. I also carried a small container (think the size of a deck of cards) of powdered defoamer with me and every so many rooms would get a sprinkle of it right on the carpet. Works/ed like a charm. All the liquid defoamer in the waste tank never did as well as some powder sucked through the hose.

Just sprinkle it right on the carpet then hold the wand a little above the carpet and wet it out. Now clean normally when you get soapy areas i.e. where customer used foamy spotter or spilled shampoo.

Your second issue about wasting chems is an easy one... forget about it. It sounds like you're pretty good at getting 90% of use from a given amount. If you did the math you'll see that (I did some quick math and it seems that a good rinse is going to cost you 70 cents an ounce) if you'll see that if you dump out a gallon of water you'll be dumping out around 25 cents worth of soap.

Your third issue is answered easily by using a rinse that is safe for all types of carpet/rugs. Then you just prespray wool or nylon with different presprays. On jobs where there is really dirty carpet (and you want to use a high ph rinse) and a wool rug just do all the carpet first then the change out the rinse and do the rug. What you'll eventually determine is that the prespray is doing all the work anyways so just use a great rinse agent and change out only your presprays.

Reactions: Scott W

goomer

Feb 16, 2009
Pelham Bay, Bronx New York
www.pelhambaycarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Frank Mendo
Business Location
United States
I used a porty for 9 years and it was a dance with the foam devil all the time. I solved it by finding chems that did less foaming i.e. better presprays.

I agree.

Dealing with foam issues should not be something to have to accept and manage every day.

Gotta pay attention to which products (pre-sparays + boosters) are more susceptible to foaming in your machine and which ones are not.

There are enough quality product out there that do NOT foam as much as others, and are worthy of seeking out.

Keep defoamer on hand, but it should not be expected as a necessity every day, which is relative to the products being used.

Start with looking closer at the products you are currently using, before looking at defoamers.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
I agree.

Dealing with foam issues should not be something to have to accept and manage every day.

Gotta pay attention to which products (pre-sparays + boosters) are more susceptible to foaming in your machine and which ones are not.

There are enough quality product out there that do NOT foam as much as others, and are worthy of seeking out.

Keep defoamer on hand, but it should not be expected as a necessity every day, which is relative to the products being used.

Start with looking closer at the products you are currently using, before looking at defoamers.
I don't carry any defoamers at all, I never have a problem with it

NYCraig

Dec 4, 2016
Real Name
Craig M
Lost track of this post, thank you everyone for the great responses!

Could anyone recommend a good all purpose rinse for the situation I mentioned (ex:doing a house with wool area rug, synthetic carpet, upholstery)?

Edit: And I've since stopped stressing about wasted solution lol, ty.

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
All good advise, i did the soak the sponge with defoamer and drop into your waste tank and it helps. Then I found Chemeisters rinse master. Its a rinsing agent and foam eraser 2ounces per every 5 gallons so if you put 10gallons in your portable solution tank thats only 4 ounces, and it works very well, i use it all the time now.

Something else i use to do is i had a rectangular bucket with a lid that i use to keep defamer mixed up in. I'd set it off to the side somewhere while i cleaned and every now and then stick the wand in it to suck some thru the hose into the waste tank. That will work to

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Lost track of this post, thank you everyone for the great responses!

Could anyone recommend a good all purpose rinse for the situation I mentioned (ex:doing a house with wool area rug, synthetic carpet, upholstery)?

Edit: And I've since stopped stressing about wasted solution lol, ty.

Flex Ice if you have soft or moderately hard water. You could consider Fab-Set if you have hard water. Both those products are from Bridgepoint. They are available at Interlink Supply and other locations.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Flex Ice if you have soft or moderately hard water. You could consider Fab-Set if you have hard water. Both those products are from Bridgepoint. They are available at Interlink Supply and other locations.
100% best advice offered on this thread,,, flex ice or even fab set will take care of rinsing and foaming ....

good job scott