Gecko wand VS Spinner of your choice

DakotaG

Dec 20, 2018
Real Name
Dakota Gray
Sorry if it has been covered before, I couldn't find my answer with a search thru past threads. Anyone with experience with either but especially if you have experience with both I'd really appreciate your insight...

My setup now is a porty, I have a 1200psi pump. At the machine its max reading is like 1000-1100 though, and never have tested pressure at the wand. I run a live reel with 150' so I'm sure I lose some pressure... I currently have a hydroforce sx12 spinner.. and my tile & grout product of choice is groutmaster..

The spinner does work great overall and so does groutmaster. However it seems like most jobs there's always a few spots that I have to go back and double treat and then use the spinner on again. Can cause a lot of back tracking and moving hoses too many times for my enjoyment..

So lately to avoid that I have been more apt to agitate first with my oreck using the tile brush...even if it's not that bad of a job just so I can rinse once and for sure be done..I find the rinse part goes quicker as well, just as it should with agitating well on carpet...

So pretty much my question is, with good agitation would the gecko be a very good option? The spinner is suppose to kinda eliminate the need for agitate due to it's "scrubbing" nature of the jets as they spin... But this doesn't work for me..the extra time with agitating I think would be made up by being able to edge a lot easier with the gecko as well being that a lot of times I have to go back with a hand tool when I use the spinner..the spinner also doesn't get in small areas well of course...

I also would like to sooner than later switch to either a 175/w brushes or crb to agitate the tile instead of the oreck which will speed up the agitation part like crazy..

All this being said is it maybe my pump or spinner that isn't working great? Maybe I need more psi or my pump isn't putting out what it says?..

Thanks, your guy's input will help.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I think if there was a perfect tool everyone would use it, ultimately have to test and compare for yourself and see what works better and more efficient

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Sorry if it has been covered before, I couldn't find my answer with a search thru past threads. Anyone with experience with either but especially if you have experience with both I'd really appreciate your insight...

My setup now is a porty, I have a 1200psi pump. At the machine its max reading is like 1000-1100 though, and never have tested pressure at the wand. I run a live reel with 150' so I'm sure I lose some pressure... I currently have a hydroforce sx12 spinner.. and my tile & grout product of choice is groutmaster..

The spinner does work great overall and so does groutmaster. However it seems like most jobs there's always a few spots that I have to go back and double treat and then use the spinner on again. Can cause a lot of back tracking and moving hoses too many times for my enjoyment..

So lately to avoid that I have been more apt to agitate first with my oreck using the tile brush...even if it's not that bad of a job just so I can rinse once and for sure be done..I find the rinse part goes quicker as well, just as it should with agitating well on carpet...

So pretty much my question is, with good agitation would the gecko be a very good option? The spinner is suppose to kinda eliminate the need for agitate due to it's "scrubbing" nature of the jets as they spin... But this doesn't work for me..the extra time with agitating I think would be made up by being able to edge a lot easier with the gecko as well being that a lot of times I have to go back with a hand tool when I use the spinner..the spinner also doesn't get in small areas well of course...

I also would like to sooner than later switch to either a 175/w brushes or crb to agitate the tile instead of the oreck which will speed up the agitation part like crazy..

All this being said is it maybe my pump or spinner that isn't working great? Maybe I need more psi or my pump isn't putting out what it says?..

Thanks, your guy's input will help.

Just my .02

The 150' of 1/4" line is killing you. If you want the most out of that pump and any spinner give 3/8" line a go first. Borrow some from a buddy that pressure washes and see the difference before you throw money at it and prove it to yourself first. You will have more RPM's and at least 1 GPM more throughput, it makes a difference...

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
I agree with Jim. I use a turbo spinner on my TM.
I run a solid 1200-1500 psi and rarely agitate.
If the tool is spinning at the designed speed it works great.
In your case your pump is limited and the hose is robbing you.
Get a shark hand held grout brush for spots, they work great.

Reactions: Scott W

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
I agitate the kitchen with a pole brush and use my Otter pump with 600-700 psi high heat works great, I don't have to agitate the rest of the areas, 600-700 psi with high heat will do very well. I do use the gekko wand with a brush head. I can never use a spinner because I can't clean the sides and the edges and some small areas and tight areas. Gekko is great for residential. Open areas the spinner.

Reactions: DakotaG

DakotaG

Dec 20, 2018
Real Name
Dakota Gray
Just my .02

The 150' of 1/4" line is killing you. If you want the most out of that pump and any spinner give 3/8" line a go first. Borrow some from a buddy that pressure washes and see the difference before you throw money at it and prove it to yourself first. You will have more RPM's and at least 1 GPM more throughput, it makes a difference...

Thanks. I know that the extra flow will definitely help rinse the tile better once all the dirt is broke up, but the pressure is what is going to break the dirt and grim up though. Wouldnt the pressure not be affected by the difference between 1/4 and 3/8? I would think that the pressure would be better with 1/4 actually. Of course correct me if i'm wrong lol

DakotaG

Dec 20, 2018
Real Name
Dakota Gray
Either way currently i am using the pump from my ranger 24 gal tank and im not going to mess with the internal plumbing as i am going to try to sell it soon. But i am soon to get another pump(or two) and i plan on using all 3/8 for the internal, and mayybe convert my whole line to 3/8..my 1/4 is brand new though so prob not for at least a year.

DakotaG

Dec 20, 2018
Real Name
Dakota Gray
The 3/8 hose still uses the 1/4 QDs though, does that affect the GPM ?

It probably does verrryyy minimally. The internal volume of the rest of the 3/8 will still be a lot more than the 1/4 even with 1/4 QD's so should allow for the more flow..

although there are 1/4(I believe theyre called high flow QD's??) for pressure washers..instead of what we use i think are considered high pressure QD's...even though pressure washers are high pressure too..

DakotaG

Dec 20, 2018
Real Name
Dakota Gray
I agree with Jim. I use a turbo spinner on my TM.
I run a solid 1200-1500 psi and rarely agitate.
If the tool is spinning at the designed speed it works great.
In your case your pump is limited and the hose is robbing you.
Get a shark hand held grout brush for spots, they work great.

Are you running 1/4 or 3/8? & with heat?

I have a small electric ryobi 1600psi(more like 1300psi) i think i will try it next job

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Are you running 1/4 or 3/8? & with heat?

I have a small electric ryobi 1600psi(more like 1300psi) i think i will try it next job
1/4" hose, 150 degrees heat.
The Ryobi won't work.
Yes it has higher psi but it's only like 1.6 gallons per minute and you need 2.2 to make the spinner work.

I also have a water otter which maxes at 1200psi and 2.2gpm. I use that with a mytee air hog for places I can't get there with the TM.
It works OK, but definitely miss the heat and the extra pressure.

DakotaG

Dec 20, 2018
Real Name
Dakota Gray
1/4" hose, 150 degrees heat.
The Ryobi won't work.
Yes it has higher psi but it's only like 1.6 gallons per minute and you need 2.2 to make the spinner work.

I also have a water otter which maxes at 1200psi and 2.2gpm. I use that with a mytee air hog for places I can't get there with the TM.
It works OK, but definitely miss the heat and the extra pressure.

Im not sure what my rotovac ranger flow is. It only says 1200 psi, your saying the spinner needs minimum 2.2gpm then im hoping the peeps at rotovac put in the same pump basically as the otter. Considering the spinner came with it.

Reactions: PistolPete

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
The 3/8 hose still uses the 1/4 QDs though, does that affect the GPM ?
Thanks. I know that the extra flow will definitely help rinse the tile better once all the dirt is broke up, but the pressure is what is going to break the dirt and grim up though. Wouldnt the pressure not be affected by the difference between 1/4 and 3/8? I would think that the pressure would be better with 1/4 actually. Of course correct me if i'm wrong lol

1/4" QC's will pass plenty of flow on 3/8" line, no problem.

With high pressure work and especially spinners, pressure is Queen and flow is King. Really you shouldn't believe anyone, especially online, I don't. I prove things to myself. Try your tools at 1/4" and 3/8" and measure output, watch the spray bar spin between the two different lines. Try not to discount what I'm trying to get across here.

I pressure wash with a 5000 psi belt drive pressure washer at 4 GPM with a 28" spinner. 1/4" line ain't worth a flip with this spinner, but it has plenty of pressure. Flow and pressure are what's needed for premium performance.

Most carwash suppliers have 3/8" hose available with 1/4" threads for $1.40/foot, worth looking into if you want to get the most from the equipment you own. You will get the performance you paid for if you do.

Reactions: CCWorks and J20770

DakotaG

Dec 20, 2018
Real Name
Dakota Gray
I agitate the kitchen with a pole brush and use my Otter pump with 600-700 psi high heat works great, I don't have to agitate the rest of the areas, 600-700 psi with high heat will do very well. I do use the gekko wand with a brush head. I can never use a spinner because I can't clean the sides and the edges and some small areas and tight areas. Gekko is great for residential. Open areas the spinner.

Hey thanks ya thats one main reason i am interested in it being able to get the edges and corners easier. Is the brush head there to agitate or just to make it not lock down?

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Im not sure what my rotovac ranger flow is. It only says 1200 psi, your saying the spinner needs minimum 2.2gpm then im hoping the peeps at rotovac put in the same pump basically as the otter. Considering the spinner came with it.

If you make sure that the intake and output side aren't choked down and pressure feed the pump, I'll wager that you get 2.3-2.4 GPM.

DakotaG

Dec 20, 2018
Real Name
Dakota Gray
1/4" QC's will pass plenty of flow on 3/8" line, no problem.

With high pressure work and especially spinners, pressure is Queen and flow is King. Really you shouldn't believe anyone, especially online, I don't. I prove things to myself. Try your tools at 1/4" and 3/8" and measure output, watch the spray bar spin between the two different lines. Try not to discount what I'm trying to get across here.

I pressure wash with a 5000 psi belt drive pressure washer at 4 GPM with a 28" spinner. 1/4" line ain't worth a flip with this spinner, but it has plenty of pressure. Flow and pressure are what's needed for premium performance.

Most carwash suppliers have 3/8" hose available with 1/4" threads for $1.40/foot, worth looking into if you want to get the most from the equipment you own. You will get the performance you paid for if you do.

Yeah i get ya. Doing sidewalks with a surface cleaner i dont even like using 4gpm..8gm 3400psi or go home lol..

DakotaG

Dec 20, 2018
Real Name
Dakota Gray
I appreciate the help and insight guys. I dont think i will mess with the ranger plumbing for now but i plan on getting my own pumps for my machine in the next month or two. When i do that i will plan on using 3/8 .

For now i want to get a 175 anyways to do some VLM with so if i get that ill be using that to agitate the tile before using spinner with my current subpar setup lol