Gear so far. Suggestions for first portable.

Discussion in 'Portable Carpet Cleaning' started by RRRyan, Mar 25, 2017.

1. OldCarpetVet

OldCarpetVet Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2014
    Male
    F.A.R.T. = Fabric Analyst & Restoration Technician
    Florida
    Ratings:
    +4,268 / 7 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. StevenB.

StevenB. Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Male
    Wheatland,Ca.
    Ratings:
    +3,516 / 13 / -0
    I have one it works well for some jobs but it doesn't replace the 175.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Mark Von Lay

Mark Von Lay New Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    good Luck....check out the clean storm on the steambrite supply website....its a rebadged sandia and you might save a couple bucks or up your psi.

4. Qwikdry

Qwikdry Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2012
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1,150 / 11 / -0
    Ryan, i would go with a portable and use your oreck to agitate before cleaning with your portable. A 175 does scrub the carpet alot better than an oreck. i carry a 13" 175 on my van to pre scrub very nasty carpets. i used to have a 17" 175 it was too heavy to be carrying every job. It did scrub really well but in a residential setting i could see people damaging walls and stuff just carrying it into jobs. so a 13" 175 has been my best investment for scrubbing. does a good job and is a smaller foot print for residential jobs where i need it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ed Valentine

Ed Valentine Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Design Engineering /Innovator
    Michigan, USA
    Ratings:
    +613 / 23 / -0
    Actually, if you have the proper "portable" (IMHO, a very generic term) , you should be able to clean the large majority of the time without going through so many steps and trouble.

Here is a perfect example from a contractor in the UK:

Best;
    Ed Valentine

• Like Like x 1
  6. johnp94

Premium VIP

May 11, 2010
    Male
    Self employed carpet cleaner
    San Diego
    Ratings:
    +743 / 7 / -0
    I'm not there yet. But the goal is not to steam, scrub and agitate dirty carpets back to life. Goal is to go into high end homes and clean clean carpet. Yes clean carpet and upholstery that is already clean.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Kyle8

Kyle8 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Ratings:
    +504 / 9 / -0
    I would say go with one with 500psi adjustable and definitely a pump out os worth ot

8. StevenB.

StevenB. Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Male
    Wheatland,Ca.
    Ratings:
    +3,516 / 13 / -0
    I don't have an orange one. I bought a green one for it and I'm experimenting with it. with the green brush it works well on rat nasty carpets, not as well as my 175. The oreck is fantastic on stairs, but the black brush comes up short on tough spots. The bonnets and pads have issues with the driver at times. They are also pretty abusive when they need to be changed or flipped. I use the red pad and the green brush for my oreck and use my 13 inch 175 when using pads/ bonnets or brush.

• Like Like x 1
  9. VividCleaning

VividCleaning Member

Jun 4, 2012
    Male
    Carpet Cleaning
    Canada
    Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    The only thing i can recommend is check what is the working pressure. My 500 psi ninja has 300 psi working pressure. Price seems good too.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. lancer1004

lancer1004 Active Member

Mar 23, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Used cross American for about half years now. Very happy with cleaning result and performance. I have run 150 ft without vacuum booster couple of times and still pretty good suction.

It has auto pump in out as well so I just left machine on my van.

I hope this machine have auto chem system. I have to use plain water to rinse if I am using auto pump.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Big Mac

Big Mac New Member

May 9, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I highly recommend the Cross American machines. I started out with the old school portables and then went to truck mounts for about 20 years and have recently returned to portables and after much research, decided on the Jaguar 8.4 and I couldn't be happier. Today's portables are light years beyond the old school 100 psi machines of 15 to 20 years ago. The power of my Jaguar is comparable to my truck mount. I have had no trouble maintaining the high quality my customers demand, which to me was one of the most important considerations. This machine is built like a tank and I fully expect many years of trouble free operation...another important consideration.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. ripleyservices

Nov 13, 2010
    tx
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    We use Oreck orange brush on tile. The oreck is a versatile machine to help with encap, agitation of traffic lanes, tile etc and it can be carried with one hand. It's not a replacement for a 17" 175 or even better...a CRB but you can carry it with one hand. It's awesome for touchups, wicking edging and under desks on commercial work. I think it should be on every truck.