Gas Pig | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Gas Pig

KRich

Nov 29, 2019
Real Name
Kevin Richardson
have recently purchased an extremely well maintained Prochem Apex in a 2014 Ford E350, 21000 miles on van, 1100 Hrs in unit. After a long and sordid affair, getting the truck from Chicago to Canada and then waiting 4.5 weeks for a pulse hose, we were finally able to put the truck into service. Much to my shagrin the van has deplorable gas mileage, not while the unit is running but while driving. 3.5 Hrs running, under 60 kms driving, 1/2 tank of gas.....!! Any ideas??

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
My idea is that you get used to it. :( If feasible raise your rates to help the expense. I checked it out and it said that van only gets 12 city and 16 hwy miles so it's only slightly worse than my GMC Savannah. I typically burn about as much through my machine as I do driving and sometimes more. My machine takes approximately 1 gallon per hour of run time. I charge a higher rate for customers that are more than about 20 miles from my home town. I don't charge a trip fee or anything like that and I don't post or advertise my prices. If I get a call that's further away I simply charge more per sq. ft. to help cover travel time and gas. Right now if someone calls from any certain town in my area I immediately know what I need to charge. I may only add 5 to 10 cents per sq. ft. depending on the distance and the size of the job. Sometimes I may have to just quote a minimum and let them either accept it or reject it.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
I have a 2015 e350 with a cds it averages about 9 to 10 miles per gallon with machine and driving. Yours prob has the 5.4 triton in it, hopefully you wont have the same coil pack prob ive had im on my 5th set with about 80k on the odometer

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
You got a 1ton with a v8. If you live in the hills plus stop and go traffic. It's going to suck down gas. First thing i do when starting the van is shut off the overdrive. Around town its useless. You hit a straight away or highway turn it back on. Gets rid of that hesitation when climbing hills or passing cars around town.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I have a 2015 e350 with a cds it averages about 9 to 10 miles per gallon with machine and driving. Yours prob has the 5.4 triton in it, hopefully you wont have the same coil pack prob ive had im on my 5th set with about 80k on the odometer
Lol my friends f250 spit out 2 of the plugs :D his brother worked at ford and fixed it for him. He told me to expect it to happen. I hate when he does that. Because whatever he says seems to happen

• Haha
Reactions: SRD

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
we just had an 2011 Ford E350 blow its motor at 110K miles......Good fun. Guess I am going van shopping again this week. Two new vans in 2 weeks is punch in the wallet.........\

I will never buy a Ford van again.

Reactions: keep it clean

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
we just had an 2011 Ford E350 blow its motor at 110K miles......Good fun. Guess I am going van shopping again this week. Two new vans in 2 weeks is punch in the wallet.........\

I will never buy a Ford van again.
Mine same year and weight class blew its transmission under 50k miles. Luckily it was still under warranty. But now the head is leaking oil all over my starter. Fix it? Fk no. Im selling it to some other sucker by summer. Ford aint what it used to be.

Reactions: Spazznout

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
Mine same year and weight class blew its transmission under 50k miles. Luckily it was still under warranty. But now the head is leaking oil all over my starter. Fix it? Fk no. Im selling it to some other sucker by summer. Ford aint what it used to be.
run, fast!

Reactions: keep it clean

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
have recently purchased an extremely well maintained Prochem Apex in a 2014 Ford E350, 21000 miles on van, 1100 Hrs in unit. After a long and sordid affair, getting the truck from Chicago to Canada and then waiting 4.5 weeks for a pulse hose, we were finally able to put the truck into service. Much to my shagrin the van has deplorable gas mileage, not while the unit is running but while driving. 3.5 Hrs running, under 60 kms driving, 1/2 tank of gas.....!! Any ideas??
Gas prices in Canada are similar to those in Europe. Sky high. I'm burning about 40 gallons of gas in my Chevy Express 2500 , 4.8 l every week and cost varies from $89 to $95. You barely get 20 gallons for the same amount of the money. That's what's killing your bottom line. Hopefully, you can charge accordingly...

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
both my last van (2007sold in 2019) and my current van are Chev. 1 ton extended 6.0L. Dont really watch gas mileage - it is what it is. Too busy cleaning...

No problems. thats all I care about.

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
Alot of coil packs COP seem to go out in the rain or going through big puddles . Water gets on the coil pak or the rubber boot has cracks and gets wet causing them to go out .Even escapes have the problem .
My last COP went out in the rain blasting thru heavy puddles . Now knowing this im careful .

Reactions: SRD