Furniture dents on carpet customer want them removed! | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Furniture dents on carpet customer want them removed!

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
I get this text from a woman's carpet I cleaned a week ago

the customer is happy with the cleaning but very unhappy about the furniture dents in the carpet

She says for the money she paid to have them cleaned she would have expected all those dents removed.

The house is going on the market and she wants those dents removed!!!!!!!!!!

I told her those dents are there to stay and nothing I can do about them and carpet repair is not part of cleaning.

If I don't come back and remove those dents she is going to leave me bad reviews online she is a yelper elite. Love the review blackmail.

I referred her to a iicrc certified inspector

Attachments

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
You need a magic wand. But its very expensive to bust out the harry potter method.
I tried steaming dents like that. But they never stay up. So fuggit it is what it is. I had a lady bit about it before. I asked if it was dirt she said no its just dents. I said you cant clean dents out of carpet. Just like you cant clean a scratch out of paint.

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
I have had great results with dropping an ice cube or 2 in them and walking away.
Along the lines of can't see it from the other side of town?
By the time the ice cube melts, you are long gone? lLOL!!
Just Kidding.

But, I have tried it in the past, and with less than great results.

A lot depends on the carpet (type of fiber(, the pad under, how warped the backing is, how long the furniture was there,
Fiber crush or warped backing?

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Dents are damage, not soil. You are paid to remove soil.

She can certainly buy a grooming rake and try groom/vacuum several times a day to see if the fibers will stand up.

Reactions: keep it clean

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
I have heard of the iron and wet towel working but have never attempted it. For the right price I'd give it a shot.
Tried that in the past as well. When backing is warped, and then cuffed the spots up while still wet, and hot. But usually they would snap back to being depressed.

Reactions: 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro

the customer is happy with the cleaning but very unhappy about the furniture dents in the carpet

She says for the money she paid to have them cleaned she would have expected all those dents removed.

I told her those dents are there to stay and nothing I can do about them and carpet repair is not part of cleaning.

If I don't come back and remove those dents she is going to leave me bad reviews online she is a yelper elite. Love the review blackmail.

First and foremost I assume that you never told her ahead of time that those indentations would not come out during cleaning. Big mistake. I always told my customers that, this way there were never any surprises.

Okay, that said I have successfully removed more than I can remember. But it is VERY time consuming and time is $$$.
I too used a wet, cotton towel and a steam iron. However unless you also use an awl and have patience, it will not work. You have to get the backing warm enough where it becomes flexible. Once it is, you remove the hot towel and iron, stick your awl through the carpet backing and pry it up. Now come the patience. You have to hold it there until the backing cools down. Repeat as necessary. In essence what I am doing is re-forming the backing back to level. And when that happens, the indentations are gone.

Joshua Johnson

Sep 7, 2013
First and foremost I assume that you never told her ahead of time that those indentations would not come out during cleaning. Big mistake. I always told my customers that, this way there were never any surprises.

Okay, that said I have successfully removed more than I can remember. But it is VERY time consuming and time is $$$.
I too used a wet, cotton towel and a steam iron. However unless you also use an awl and have patience, it will not work. You have to get the backing warm enough where it becomes flexible. Once it is, you remove the hot towel and iron, stick your awl through the carpet backing and pry it up. Now come the patience. You have to hold it there until the backing cools down. Repeat as necessary. In essence what I am doing is re-forming the backing back to level. And when that happens, the indentations are gone.
That's masterful, and should be rather expensive. It's really important, as you said, to disclose everything that's not going to be a return to nearly new condition. When a carpet is worn to the point of looking like a sweater I always tell people To expect a slight difference between under the couch and right in front of it.

Under promise and over deliver.

Some people build expectations in their mind with no basis in reality.

Reactions: OldCarpetVet

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Why do these people treat carpet cleaners like we dun know nuffin.

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
hahahaaha she signed the invoice carpet cleaning job is acceptable no damage.

seems to me she has been talking to friends with some bad advice

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
she would have expected all those dents removed.
if I buy a new car and expect it to fly, will it? Dah!

Anyway, just another reason I dont do the Google online review thingy. I aint gunna get caught up in that trap.

As a sidenote, I read a thread on another part of this forum where the guy wake up looking at his reviews and checks them every chance he gets during the day and always on the lookout for being on the top of Google search. WTH. Are we marketers or carpet cleaners?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States

Anyway, just another reason I dont do the Google online review thingy. I aint gunna get caught up in that trap.

As a sidenote, I read a thread on another part of this forum where the guy wake up looking at his reviews and checks them every chance he gets during the day and always on the lookout for being on the top of Google search. WTH. Are we marketers or carpet cleaners?
Technology does that to some people. I tried for a bout a minute. Well a week. I couldn't figure it out so fuggit. I made ot this far without the easternet. So i'll continue on without the easternet's approval and false reviews from ignorant customers.

Reactions: OldCarpetVet

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States

I've been there and was told: The reason I called you, was to remove the indentation only. What a disappointment...

• Haha
Reactions: Odin

Joshua Johnson

Sep 7, 2013

A good businessman is both.

Reactions: mrotto

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
A good businessman is both.
Perhaps. Perhaps not. It all depends on one factor. HOW GOOD ARE YOU!? When you're good and I mean really, Really, REALLY good and are booked up weeks in advance and your repeat business a d referrals are being pumped in...then those silly temper tantrum reviews don't mean nuthin'.

Reactions: mrotto

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States

Tell her she should leave a bad review from the store she purchased the furniture from. When customers ask about those indentions I tell them to get a quarter and dig them out. Its very time consuming.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States

By all means, let her leave a bad review.

The respond with something along the lines of:

"Ma'am, I'm very sorry you're unhappy with the level of service we provided. As you can see in the photos, the dents left by your furniture are not a soiling issue - they are damage done to the carpet by the weight of your furniture. Simply removing the soil will not repair that damage; this is why most carpet mills suggest furniture coasters to alleviate the problem. If you're willing to discuss this further, reach out to us at (blah blah) and we will gladly arrange for you to meet with a professional inspector who can assess the damage. We look forward to hearing from you."

Reactions: barefoot