Funny Thing I Encountered During "Turn" | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Funny Thing I Encountered During "Turn"

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
www.instantsteamclean.com
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States
During the summer I usually clean about 1000 (give or take) apartments (3 TM's out balls to the wall). We did lose an account, however, to a lower price competitor (a competitor that I never heard of) - called High Tech Steam. Anyway - no big deal as I had too many apartments to clean as it was and was kind of relieved since the the property I lost was a pain in the ass to access with TM's and paid the least.

Well, one of my janitorial people called my wife (who runs the janitorial - maid side) and told her to tell me to come out and see something amazing - he was working at the property I lost - we have a janitorial contract there - we lost the "turn" carpet but not the year around stuff. Anyway I took a trip out there since it was only a mile from my office and......................................... how do I describe it.................. There where 2 old cargo vans pulling up the buildings and unloading about 3 or 4 Rug Doctor wide track units each - about 5 guys or so would come running out with 3 rug doctors :eek: (per team) doing multiple units (usually they have about 200). Apparently it didn't go so well and they want our company to come back starting tomorrow for carpet - I'm going to increase my rates about 30% if I decide to service them again...

Anybody ever run into a competitor that actually uses rug doctors? I'm hoping more competitors do this in the future! :D

Gasoline

EcoTech Carpet Clean: The Green Choice
Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
High Tech Steam and Rug dr? Lol. Good one. Just don't go together do they?

Gasoline

EcoTech Carpet Clean: The Green Choice
Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
Classic bait and switch? Unless that is how it was sold to the property manager.

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States
Classic bait and switch? Unless that is how it was sold to the property manager.
Don't think it was bait & switch. Just think they're dumb asses. They have an add in the paper explaining how their "Hi-Tech cleaning system eliminates the need for older less efficient technology Truck Mounts". They have a half page add with a $59 5 room special. :rolleyes:

Sent from my SGH-T679 using TMF Forums mobile app

Qwikdry

Dec 2, 2012
Real Name
Russell
Business Location
United States
Don't think it was bait & switch. Just think they're dumb asses. They have an add in the paper explaining how their "Hi-Tech cleaning system eliminates the need for older less efficient technology Truck Mounts". They have a half page add with a $59 5 room special. :rolleyes:

Are you serious? how would anyone actually hire them once they pulled out a rug doctor at their door? that is what I would like to know. man some people are just stupid...

Qwikdry

Dec 2, 2012
Real Name
Russell
Business Location
United States

can you maybe scan or post a picture of this ad? I would like to see it for laughs!

RoboShark

Nov 14, 2011
CA
Real Name
robert harrington
Business Location
United States
I had a guy come to my door asking for water on a hot day with his kids. Then asked if he could clean my carpets. Of course I pointed at the truck in the driveway. But I guess one of the neighbors felt sorry and said ok you can clean my living room. He said thank you ill be back soon. He came back 45 min later with a rented Rug Dr.

TimM

Sep 9, 2007
Ogden Utah
Real Name
Tim
Business Location
United States
can you maybe scan or post a picture of this ad? I would like to see it for laughs!
Russell, here is one I posted a while ago of someone in our area. Don't know who it was.logo108640.jpg

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States
I had a guy come to my door asking for water on a hot day with his kids. Then asked if he could clean my carpets. Of course I pointed at the truck in the driveway. But I guess one of the neighbors felt sorry and said ok you can clean my living room. He said thank you ill be back soon. He came back 45 min later with a rented Rug Dr.
Have to give the guy credit trying to scratch out a living

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States
Be like a government employee and demand back pay for work you never did... then decide if you'll take their work at increased pay. Works for them!

LOL @ High Tech "Steam" and Rug Dr...
I'm emailing them the increase this morning. Going to $37 a room with them.

Reactions: ColoradoCleaner

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
People amaze me at times. I had a client who used me for years and she tried a bait and switch. They got her for 1100. I asked did she pay she said yes the guys scared me. She says she will never leave me again. I raised my price though lol

Reactions: See Spots Run

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
People amaze me at times. I had a client who used me for years and she tried a bait and switch. They got her for 1100. I asked did she pay she said yes the guys scared me. She says she will never leave me again. I raised my price though lol
I think that it is who the end user is. A PM company managing for someone else , with tons of units never seems to learn. NOT a good client!
Trying to cut costs for their customer. Unstable mgt., high turnover in the office, etc. etc. never changes. Short term bottom line goals. It must work for them. They keep doing it. And obviouly are still there.
We just must decide if we want to work for them.

jaymark

Premium VIP
Feb 8, 2011
PA
Real Name
Yea
Business Location
United States

Rob,

Do you have a price sheet you give your techs? Or do you or your office staff presell the job prior to them going out?