fuel transfer problem from gas tank | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

fuel transfer problem from gas tank

marco8

Feb 27, 2008
illinois
Real Name
mark
fuel from van stopped delivering fuel to my machine. so im guessing theres a transfer pump in these fuel tap kits? Jon Don installed so i not sure what these fuel tap kits consist of for transfer pumps. got 13 yrs out of it and could someone help me with what i may be needing as far as new pump or whatever problem I may be looking at? Thank you

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Prob one of a few issues, fuel filter clogged, hose inside tank floated, fuel pump bad, hose to machine kinked or something sitting on it (last one dont ask me how i know)

marco8

Feb 27, 2008
illinois
Real Name
mark
ya, i started with the fuel pump and filter on my checklist first disconnected the gas line after the fuel filter and it sucked gas right out of a cup and running fine. havent checked for kinked lines and boy that would make me happy if thats all it was. So sounds like the fuel pumps in these fuel tap kits are inside the gas tank, correct?

marco8

Feb 27, 2008
illinois
Real Name
mark
my machine is sitting on a water belly tank so its not sitting on the floor of van, my next question would be if i was to go out and by a longer fuel line to hook yo to backside of fuel filter and straight into a 5 gal gas tank would the 20hp kohler fuel pump be able to pull fuel from 3-4ft away? just trying to get through this weeks jobs without cancelling cause of this issue.

Kevin Dumas

Aug 31, 2008
Binghamton, NY
Real Name
Kevin Dumas
I have never seen a fuel pump inside the tank on a fuel tap kit.
If your machine has a external fuel pump that is working something is wrong with the line from there down into the tank.

Jimbo Williams

May 11, 2009
NC
precisionsteamcleaning.com
Real Name
Jim Williams
Business Location
United States
Some installers will mount the fuel pump to the frame under the van if you don't see one inside. They typically don't last more than 2 years or so. I have also seen the fuel line get a hole in it where it comes through the floor of the van from the edge of the hole rubbing it.

When you turn the key to the on position you should hear the pump come on.

Reactions: SRD