Fuel tap uninstall

johnp94

May 11, 2010
San Diego
Real Name
john
Business Location
United States
Hello everyone. I spoke with a local distributer today on the phone. He will be swapping my TM into a different truck. I asked him about swapping out the fuel tap because they are the same year vehicles and having the donor vehicle being able to operate properly. He did not say yes he can do it. He wasn't sure since he hasn't seen the fuel tap install. Can I just get a hose to attach the two filler ends ? I checked this morning and I saw 7 hose clamps in one area. http://s922.photobucket

johnp94

May 11, 2010
San Diego
Real Name
john
Business Location
United States
The filler neck on my 2003 GMC Savana is thinner then the neck On my 2003 Chevy Express box truck. If the distributer does not want to work on donor repair can I drive it home with the filler neck open and repair it at my house ?

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
no you can't. remove the tap yourself at home and fix that hose. yes you can put a nipple that is suitable for gas found at any local auto part store. once you do that you will only need one clamp on each end but it is always advisable to put two clamps on each end for more security.

take the fuel tap to the mechanic and have him install it in your new rig

Reactions: StevenB.

wuznmee

Jan 2, 2014
Real Name
Mike
Your fuel tap was designed and installed using a section of the original filler hose. It's a molded hose with two different dimensions so, you can't just stick any piece of hose in there. You have two options... you can go to the dealer and get a new filler hose to install in the old van, or... If you are installing into a similar van, you can take the hose from the new van to your installer and have him swap it into the old van when he does the un-install. You can install the whole assembly right back into the new van. If possible, do not attempt to start either van until the fuel systems are complete or the computer will throw an emission code. If you do, you can go to almost any auto parts store and they can just erase that code for you. You shouldn't even think about driving the van with the hose off. If you want to install the old hose / tap assembly into the new van yourself, the most important part will be getting the fuel tap hose into the designated slot directly inside the tank itself. If it does not drop through the slot it will go directly into the tank float assembly and screw everything up. It's really not difficult at all, you just need to make sure the tap hose goes down immediately when it goes into the tank. PM me if you have any questions about doing it.

wuznmee

Jan 2, 2014
Real Name
Mike
I also noticed in your pictures that your fuel pump is mounted horizontally. That type of pump needs to be mounted so the inlet and outlet are vertical. If they're not, you will be plagued with fuel pump failures.

johnp94

May 11, 2010
San Diego
Real Name
john
Business Location
United States
Thanks. I won't do the fuel tap install but I probably will be repairing the donor vehicle. It is time for a swap and I do not understand one aspect of this. Are most professionally installed fuel taps installed by dropping the tank ? Can fuel taps be installed properly without dropping the tank ? My 2003 box truck has a separate hose coming out of the tank. It runs separate towards the top of the filler neck. It then attaches to the filler neck by a protruding plastic outlet that the separate hose connects to. Can this be a factory fuel tap. Twenty five gallon tank. My swap should be complete by Tuesday evening. But I'm still hoping someone can give a detailed fuel tap install including mentioning how long it takes to drop the tank. Hopefully a youtube video someday. Thanks for the help.

Paul Selby

Apr 26, 2013
South Central........Tennessee
Real Name
Paul Selby
Business Location
United States
Thanks. I won't do the fuel tap install but I probably will be repairing the donor vehicle. It is time for a swap and I do not understand one aspect of this. Are most professionally installed fuel taps installed by dropping the tank ? Can fuel taps be installed properly without dropping the tank ? My 2003 box truck has a separate hose coming out of the tank. It runs separate towards the top of the filler neck. It then attaches to the filler neck by a protruding plastic outlet that the separate hose connects to. Can this be a factory fuel tap. Twenty five gallon tank. My swap should be complete by Tuesday evening. But I'm still hoping someone can give a detailed fuel tap install including mentioning how long it takes to drop the tank. Hopefully a youtube video someday. Thanks for the help.

It depends on the vehicle but i have only had to drop one tank and that was years ago. Most fuel taps do not require the tank to be dropped, they are simply transplanted into the filler neck. The hose you are talking about on your box truck sounds like a vent hose and probably ends at the top of the tank to allow for vapors. If it were me, i would go back to oem parts on the old van, which would just entail replacing the rubber section that goes from the metal tube of the filler neck to the tank. 2 clamps and done.

Edit: the hose is usually a formed hose that is a different size at each end as mentioned above

Sent from my mind, through my fingers, to your screen using millions of pixels

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
for and experienced guy it should take about 1 hr non experienced 2hr really it is a walk in the park If you want take some pics of your vehicle i"ll guide you over the phone.

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
Do you think this is the same for a 03-04 ford van? If so what size hose and how long is recommended?
Yes it is. I installed about 4' long hose on mine and also Johnny's I will post some pics tomorrow when I can get under my truck and take them two things you need to be careful with ( not dangerous ) when inserting the hose into the tank, make sure you don't insert a lot of if kinda feel when the tip touches the bottom and then pull out a bit about 1/2" that is to make sure that extra hose inside the tank does not interfere with the float inside. and the cut that you make on the filler neck is completely sealed with silicon. put some immediately and the next day when it is all dry put some more. that's it no need for a $250 artifact that is going to do exactly what the hose will do

PS the hose has to be fuel hose 1/4" and 4 1/4" clamps

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

Mojo Rising

Premium VIP
May 26, 2012
Bend
Real Name
REal NAme
Yes it is. I installed about 4' long hose on mine and also Johnny's I will post some pics tomorrow when I can get under my truck and take them two things you need to be careful with ( not dangerous ) when inserting the hose into the tank, make sure you don't insert a lot of if kinda feel when the tip touches the bottom and then pull out a bit about 1/2" that is to make sure that extra hose inside the tank does not interfere with the float inside. and the cut that you make on the filler neck is completely sealed with silicon. put some immediately and the next day when it is all dry put some more. that's it no need for a $250 artifact that is going to do exactly what the hose will do

PS the hose has to be fuel hose 1/4" and 4 1/4" clamps

Jon Don wanted to charge me over $400 for mine and I am thinking it can't be that hard.. the only concerns I have is the hose disrupting the fuel gauge in that tank.. So the hose would run down to the gas tank in the same hose that we pump our gas into? Would the outside of the hose get damaged.. I think I may have to do this tomorrow..

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
Jon Don wanted to charge me over $400 for mine and I am thinking it can't be that hard.. the only concerns I have is the hose disrupting the fuel gauge in that tank.. So the hose would run down to the gas tank in the same hose that we pump our gas into? Would the outside of the hose get damaged.. I think I may have to do this tomorrow..

I'll shoot you some picture of mine and if you want call me and I'll guide you really it is so simple. mine has been running like that for over 6 years and Johnny's about 6 months I think not a problem. Yes If you insert to much hose inside the tank It could ( not would ) interfere with the gauge (float) Therefore the reason why you remove the filler neck or at least lower it insert the hose into the tank slowly; You will feel when it touches the bottom of the tank and then either you push the hose about two more inches so it kinda turns but it is still far enough form the float or you pull it out so it is about 1/2" above the bottom of the tank very far from the float. Then you make the puncture on the filler neck and slide the remaining hose through until the filler neck slides back in position re install the bolts and clamps and drill a 1/2" hole on the van's floor to pass the fuel line to the interior at any auto zone they sell a little barbed fitting that looks like a triangle and has two holes on the corners I forgot it's name but any way, you slide that in the whole you made on the van's floor and screw it with (that is why it has two holes ) then attach the hose to both ends and that is it. the end that stays inside goes to either your secondary pump which is not needed either or directly to your fuel filter. easy. Jon Don is not that bad Organic Compound here in long beach quotes you 400 and in the middle of the job goes up to 600 cuz they had to slide the tm (BS but always happens when you have already approved the job to get started)

Reactions: Mojo Rising

wuznmee

Jan 2, 2014
Real Name
Mike
I've installed countless fuel systems and never yet had to drop a tank. You only need to remove the filler hose, and on some vehicles, the bezel that you see when you open your filler door. The smaller plastic hose that runs adjacent to the filler hose is a vent line. Most of the newer cube vans have an axillary fuel port on the tank already. Count on about two hours to complete the job. I see this fuel tap question a lot on here om TMF. I'll try to video the next one and post it.

johnp94

May 11, 2010
San Diego
Real Name
john
Business Location
United States
Pinosons description sounds detailed but I do not understand a couple tasks stated. I was thinking today to sell my van with the fuel tap. ( hopefully it will sell for a couple dollars more ). Run the TM from a gas can in the box truck. Install the fuel tap myself when I understand how to do it. Which also made me decide to do the entire swap over myself since I already removed the water tank and hose reel today. The time it will take me to repair the donor van and drop off and pick up two vehicles from the distributer. I'm better off doing all the work myself.