Frustration with Flex Ice

rccva

Jan 31, 2015
www.robertscarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Robert Webb
Business Location
United States
A few facts about rinse agents in general and Flex Ice in particular.

Hard water tends to cause scale in whatever hoses and fittings it goes through. I am going to try and post some photos of the inside of systems that have been brought in for repair. The harder the water, the more scale.

•The hotter the water is, the more calcium and magnesium come out of solution and forms “lime scale”.

Scale forms solid deposits that coat and build up on the insides of components such as heat exchangers, tubing, hoses, valves, fittings, and filters of most cleaning equipment. Scale build-up tends to be more of an issue with truckmounts run at very high temperatures and in portions of the system that have high temps. The more raw material in the water, the more there is to come out of solution. So, there is agreater potential for this to happen with stronger products. More on this later.

Acids tend to remove scale from celaning systems. Often the scale is calcium, magnesium from hard water. This is often combined with phosphates and other alkaline ingredients in rinses. the stronger the acid, the more of the scale it dissolves.

If you have been using an alkaline emulsifier / rinse or just water and then switch to an acid rinse, the acid rinse will descale your system. If your system had much scale, it will break off and be in your filters, clog your jets and so forth. If you have not descaled in a while, the problem will be more severe. When changing to an acid rinse or to a stronger acid rinse, it is best to descale or flush your system when you make that change!

In the first couple of months that Flex Ice was on the market, we heard of a few high heat truck mounts that were developing scale. We thought this might be an issue specifically with the ingredients in Flex Ice. So, we asked these cleaners to switch to a different rinse. They selected a product from a different manufacturer. Two of the three I knew about continued to have an issue even with the new product. So, it seems to be more related to heat than to Flex Ice or any specific rinse product. But we are monitoring and tracking this to see if there are more cases.

The cleaning ingredients in any product are not only cleaning the carpet but they are also cleaning the water, that is removing the water hardness. How much that happens depends upon the specific formula of the product, but it will almost always be true that some of the cleaning power of any prespray or rinse gets "used up" by interaction with hard water. The harder the water, the less the product cleans.

We have some great side by side demos of the difference in cleaning just changing from hard water to soft water. These were presented at The Experience last month. I hope to present these later this month on Pro Cleaners Clubhouse.

In 80% of the country, the water is harder than truckmount manufacturers reccommend for their systems. IF you are not using soft water - either naturally soft or from a water softner, I sugegst you get a water softener for the benefit of your plumbing system. Stuff will last longer and you will clean better.

View attachment 54146

View attachment 54147

BTW - These customers were not using Flex Ice.
Thanks for taking the time to post that information. I am on a well (free water :) ) and had a softener for many years. When it went bad I chose not to replace it to see if I would really see a difference. After a few years I haven't noticed a difference and there is very little evidence of hard water in my home. We can sit here and dispute every little detail of the rinsing process, but bottom line, if your using a good system that maintains heat, and your using a good prespray and really put in the effort at every job, I don't care what rinse agent (or no rinse agent) you use, your going to have good results. I have had some of the best cleaning results when I was using prespray and nothing but water and some deodorizer in my chemical feed. I started this feed just to see if I was alone with my issue, not to put down any product. I wasn't expecting this much excitement haha.

Multitask Cleaning Servi

Jan 19, 2011
Ma
Real Name
Glen Morin
Business Location
United States
Interesting. ... about a year ago, I walked through a highly recommended TM distributor / factory, as the TM salesman showed me the 5 New TM being installed, only one had a chemical rinse jug , I noticed that and asked the salesman why ,he responded 4 out the 5 setup here , strictly prohibited them from installing

rccva

Jan 31, 2015
www.robertscarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Robert Webb
Business Location
United States
Interesting. ... about a year ago, I walked through a highly recommended TM distributor / factory, as the TM salesman showed me the 5 New TM being installed, only one had a chemical rinse jug , I noticed that and asked the salesman why ,he responded 4 out the 5 setup here , strictly prohibited them from installing
I have to say.... I have considered having butler remove the chemical injection system on my next truck. I am not a fan and its always the first thing to start having trouble. But being able to run deodorizer through it is convenient.

pgcleaner

Nov 4, 2020
Real Name
Matthew Olive
I think to all those that just didn't get it the 1st time. If they follow the search feature they'll read or reread my comments regarding that flex crap. Or was it flex piss. I forget?
emoji55.png
Your right. The main ingredient sulfamic acid is produced from urea.....