Frozen pump "I so hate the winter" | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Frozen pump "I so hate the winter"

MD'z Floors & More

Apr 1, 2013
Real Name
Quintin Riley
I took my van to get transmission rebuilt & when I picked it up I found out they left it outside longer than expected... So I picked it up everything looked ok. So later I was @ a job site set everything up and my solution line busted! So fixed that came back to finish job couldn't get any water out of my wand! Then took it to shop to trouble a shoot lot of things then after failed attempts of a bunch of things, we hooked up to a inside water supply and I had water and pressure. So I discovered valves in my pump froze/damaged. I missed out on jobs/money in this "slow season and terrible winter" when no money/jobs should be missed!

dirtsucker

Jan 19, 2011
fulton
Real Name
Ed Ware
Business Location
United States
That sucks, you should see if they will do anything for you.

DJCarpetService

May 16, 2011
PA
Real Name
Jared Benedict
Business Location
United States
If you didn't explain to them that the van needed to be warm, its your own fault... You definitely should of taken the hoses and wands inside before dropping the van off... If you let the shop know that it needed to be stored inside and they didnt.. Then you have a valid complaint...

jaymark

Premium VIP
Feb 8, 2011
PA
Real Name
Yea
Business Location
United States
Sorry to hear! Man did you warn the shop that it couldnt be left outside!

I agree this has been a horrible winter.

MD'z Floors & More

Apr 1, 2013
Real Name
Quintin Riley
Yeah I told the service manager directly and he said "Definitely we will make sure it's kept inside, so nothing freezes up, we looked in it and seen all your equipment and said whoa." The manager words.

jaymark

Premium VIP
Feb 8, 2011
PA
Real Name
Yea
Business Location
United States
Huh what are you going to do? Are you expecting them to pay for the damage?

Buster123

Jan 19, 2009
Gainesville Va
Real Name
Joe Bouch
Business Location
United States
It's always such a pain in the ass when you need to leave your van overnight at the shop during during the cold winter nights. I've had to do this a few times in the past. I always make sure to talk to the manager and make them promise to keep the van inside over night. Then my OCD ass will do a drive by during the night to make sure they did. Sorry to hear about your frozen pump! I hope you can get it fixed and back to work ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums mobile app

Reactions: MD'z Floors & More

MD'z Floors & More

Apr 1, 2013
Real Name
Quintin Riley
Huh what are you going to do? Are you expecting them to pay for the damage?
No, I wish they would but I know it would be a headache more than anything and getting lawyers & going to court would cost to much and be a waste of time.

jaymark

Premium VIP
Feb 8, 2011
PA
Real Name
Yea
Business Location
United States
No, I wish they would but I know it would be a headache more than anything and getting lawyers & going to court would cost to much and be a waste of time.
Personally I would kick in the door of the shop and not leave until they paid up.

You warned them, they didnt listen, left it outside and it froze. Their fault.

Oh and take a random lawyer card from your Rolodex and drop it on his desk all casual like.

Troyster

Apr 24, 2013
Terrace BC
Real Name
Troy Sims
Business Location
Canada
I dnt believe so, but if it did the deductible would be much as it is to just repair it. I get total cost of what it's going to run me to repair it in the am.
I would still talk to the owner! If he wants to be a dick tell him he is losing money from any future business you could give him! He might be reasonable you never know! doesn't hurt to ask! even if he offered to pay for half!

Browns Cleaning

Feb 4, 2013
Walla Walla, Wash
Real Name
David Brown
I blow all the water out of all my lines and tools at the end of the day. Takes 10 mins. Don't have to worry about any freezing issues. I also run marine anti freeze into my machines. I sleep alot better at night not having to worry about it being cold.

Reactions: Troyster

wuznmee

Jan 2, 2014
Real Name
Mike
Sounds like it should be a free trans rebuild to me...

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
Post the pump model# you need. One of the members here will find you the best deal out there.
If you don't have one you need a back up plan such as a portable so no job is lost.
If you have contractual obligations Advance in Novi has TM rentals, Interlink in Wayne a Cimex, both may have portables.
Mellocraft in Holland Oh has 21 inch 175 rotarys and possibly some portables.

Reactions: Troyster

elementcarpet

Nov 23, 2011
Peoria, Az
Real Name
Gary Throckmorton
Business Location
United States
At what temp do hoses and pumps start to become damaged? Is it near 32degrees or does it have to be below freezing? (32degrees)

wuznmee

Jan 2, 2014
Real Name
Mike
At what temp do hoses and pumps start to become damaged? Is it near 32degrees or does it have to be below freezing? (32degrees)
32 will do damage if it stays there long enough. And... never trust a weather report to be spot on. The colder it gets, the faster things will freeze.

Reactions: elementcarpet

cleanserite

Nov 27, 2012
Real Name
ernie kosar
I took my van to get transmission rebuilt & when I picked it up I found out they left it outside longer than expected... So I picked it up everything looked ok. So later I was @ a job site set everything up and my solution line busted! So fixed that came back to finish job couldn't get any water out of my wand! Then took it to shop to trouble a shoot lot of things then after failed attempts of a bunch of things, we hooked up to a inside water supply and I had water and pressure. So I discovered valves in my pump froze/damaged. I missed out on jobs/money in this "slow season and terrible winter" when no money/jobs should be missed!
I'm so with you the money wasted to keep trucks heated just drives me nuts and the constant part replacement is crazy also
I've gone as far as stocking every hose cap and part from prochem that can possibly pop due to a deep freeze
At 5-10 degrees is nerve recking

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums mobile app