From Dragon to Sapphire, from van to box truck.

Drew Moore

Nov 16, 2015
Memphis, Tennessee
Real Name
Drew Moore
Business Location
United States
They say an air cooled engine should last around 5000 hours and liquid cooled closer to 10,000.

that being said you have to consider the cost of replacement as well. I just replaced my air cooled 26 HP engine for $1300 and it took a half a day to do it myself. A water cooled will be 3 times as much to replace.

I live in the desert where temperatures are 110+ all summer long. I know the difference between 80 degrees and 110 feels like a lot to us humans but an extra 30 degrees is nothing to an engine. On air cooled the oil also helps keep the engine cool and the biggest killer of air cooled machines is going too long between oil changes or letting the oil level drop too low. You need to religiously change the oil every 50 hours and check it every day. You also have to allow sufficient room around the machine for sufficient air flow. You can't have other equipment stuffed up against the machine blocking the air flow. Also keep all doors open and roll down your front windows. If you keep up on the oil and allow for good airflow the engines will run for years.

Makes perfect sense that the oil helps cool the engine also. And now that you mentioned the difference in 30 degrees between us and an engine is nothing, but I was just wondering how it would be if you had an air cooled and your client list consisted of a lot of commercial jobs where even with 2 techs it would still take a full day. And in the middle of the summer, especially in Nevada and the Southwest, and the engine pulling in hot air, how effective could air cool the engine. And yeah you're right, liquid cooled cost 3 times as much but that's mostly the components of the cooling system, radiator, pulleys, water pump, etc.

Again I'm not trying to knock anyone running an air cooled set-up, I just always wondered why liquid cooled machines cost so much and if it's really worth all that extra money and why only the big machines capable of dual wands are all liquid cooled.

JeremyB

Apr 6, 2013
Australia
Real Name
Jeremy Barratt
Quite possible that there is not a big enough air cooled motor available to turn those big blowers and run all the ancillary stuff.

I have the 2500hs with the 39hp, I have recently learnt that this particular motor steps up into the Kohler 'industrial' range of engine (or similar).

Means I have to pay more for consumables, air filter was insanely expensive compared to the smaller engines.

Drew Moore

Nov 16, 2015
Memphis, Tennessee
Real Name
Drew Moore
Business Location
United States
Quite possible that there is not a big enough air cooled motor available to turn those big blowers and run all the ancillary stuff.

I have the 2500hs with the 39hp, I have recently learnt that this particular motor steps up into the Kohler 'industrial' range of engine (or similar).

Means I have to pay more for consumables, air filter was insanely expensive compared to the smaller engines.

Right. And it's understandable why the Everest and 870 aren't air cooled. yet you would think with all the engineering nowadays they could find some way to offer the power and performance of an Apex or 570 and be air cooled, reducing costs.

Rick Imby

Jul 2, 2009
Montana
www.missoulagreencarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Rick Imby
Business Location
United States
A big selling point on the bigger machines is that they are water cooled. With the horsepower and heat they generate it is so much easier to keep the temp in a specific range with water cooled.

The piston size and clearance will be totally different for the same motor at 200 degree different running temperatures.

With water cooled the engine parts can be built to tighter specs because their will not be as much expansion and variation in size of the moving parts.

This tighter tolerance also gives the motor more power and efficiency.

Porsche with the 911 uses I think 11 quarts of oil and a monster oil pan to cool their engine. One of the few air cooled cars still being sold.

High performance motor--equals--water cooled.

Reactions: Wec and matt30577

Nomad74

www.apcarpetcleaners.com
Premium VIP
Apr 26, 2013
Redding, Ca
Real Name
Damon
Business Location
United States
Update on Amtex refurb:

I sent Ben messages asking for a status report and he replied. "Call me ". I called and left him a message two days ago and this morning, still nothing.

Hopefully soon.

Reactions: earl804

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
Update on Amtex refurb:

I sent Ben messages asking for a status report and he replied. "Call me ". I called and left him a message two days ago and this morning, still nothing.

Hopefully soon.

Ok let me start up a Amtex Equipment page and I'll put down all the problems you and many others have had with Amtex Equipment Truck Mounts and Ben Saney's customer service.
I'll take it down after Damon gets his machine back. :)

Reactions: Jeff Maietta

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
Update on Amtex refurb:

Hopefully soon.

Attorney. When are you going to stop this guy from making a mockery of yourself buddy. I hope he does not send Johnny to kick my ass but I would definitely sue him.

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
Ok let me start up a Amtex Equipment page and I'll put down all the problems you and many others have had with Amtex Equipment Truck Mounts and Ben Saney's customer service.
I'll take it down after Damon gets his machine back. :)

Don't!

The affected people should get it started.