Fresh Water Tank | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Fresh Water Tank

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
Hey guys I'm looking for some advice on a fresh water tank. I have seen pictures of people using large barrels for tanks. My issue is I don't have the room in my van to take all of my equipment with me on every job. But I really want to be able to have most if not all of it with me. I know the easiest way to do this would be to get a box truck but thats not in the cards yet. I need a big waste tank because I don't have auto pump out. But I don't think I really need a big fresh water tank, I can just fill it on the job site. Right? I am looking for cost effective option for a fresh water tank, and also a good hose to use to fill the tank. A rigid hose that would work well on a hose reel. Thanks

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
If you choose to go with a non-traditional tank you really need to think about how you are going to secure it down. 55 gallons of water will cause a lot of damage if you ever have to jam on the breaks. That is why traditional water tanks are bolted through the floor of the vehicle and plated underneath.

Nov 5, 2013
extremecleancu.com
Real Name
Andrew Deem
Business Location
United States
Talk to nick Nellos I have a 55 gal drum from him see if he'll hook you up. As for a fill hose I went to harbor freight and got me a retractable air hose real! Hell of a lot better than garden hose or that black stuff. Then I have a qd on the other end to hook up when I want to fill

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

russrroberts

Jan 30, 2014
Prescott, AZ
www.steamnfresh.com
Real Name
Russell
Business Location
United States
Talk to nick Nellos I have a 55 gal drum from him see if he'll hook you up. As for a fill hose I went to harbor freight and got me a retractable air hose real! Hell of a lot better than garden hose or that black stuff. Then I have a qd on the other end to hook up when I want to fill

Can you post a pic of it and let me know how you like it? That's such a great idea I never would have thought about it. How well does the air hose handle the fresh water?

Sent from my LG-D801 using TMF Forums mobile app

Gasoline

EcoTech Carpet Clean: The Green Choice
Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States

What size? 3/8"?

tonyb14

May 16, 2013
Hazleton
www.steamteamcarpetcleaningnepa.com
Real Name
Tony Burke
Business Location
United States
I use these for live fresh water...best $100 I ever spent. Northern tool.
ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1403744618.267538.jpg

ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1403744633.869797.jpg

Here a picture of the reel mounted in the van.
ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1403744690.358011.jpg

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
I use these for live fresh water...best $100 I ever spent. Northern tool.
View attachment 31224
View attachment 31225
Here a picture of the reel mounted in the van.
View attachment 31226

There isn't any issue with the fact that it is meant for air? Like fittings being damaged or anything like that. I was thinking of getting air hose, but was advised against it (by someone who worked at the store so not necessarily a reliable source).

Pioneer Floorcare LLC

Dec 10, 2013
Palmer, Alaska
Real Name
Scott Turknett
Business Location
United States
Why not make an auto pumpout? If space is an issue then that is the first place I would look to save.
As long as you don't let it freeze a hose and reel with brass fittings won't care if it is transferring water or air.

tonyb14

May 16, 2013
Hazleton
www.steamteamcarpetcleaningnepa.com
Real Name
Tony Burke
Business Location
United States
There isn't any issue with the fact that it is meant for air? Like fittings being damaged or anything like that. I was thinking of getting air hose, but was advised against it (by someone who worked at the store so not necessarily a reliable source).
I've been using it since January with no issues...just make sure you get the rubber air hose, it's more flexible than PVC.

Reactions: Wec
Nov 5, 2013
extremecleancu.com
Real Name
Andrew Deem
Business Location
United States
Air leaks easier than water and 3/8 is the size with a qd to hook up takes me less than 10 sec to roll up:)

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P

How do I contact nick? Do you have to have some kind of pump on the drum to feed the fresh water? Or is it gravity fed like a normal tank? My only thought is how to install the fittings on the bottom of the tank in order to feed to the TM

johnp94

May 11, 2010
San Diego
Real Name
john
Business Location
United States
To stop the fill up. Install a float. It stops the flow when it gets full.

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
I was looking at a web site tank-depot.com and was thinking about buying a 55 gallon plastic tank. What do you guys think? If I am going to buy a tank, is there a tank that is too small?

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
Why not make an auto pumpout? If space is an issue then that is the first place I would look to save.
As long as you don't let it freeze a hose and reel with brass fittings won't care if it is transferring water or air.

What do you mean by an auto pump out? could I buy a smaller plastic tank and use that as my waste tank? I figured it would be more difficult to replace the waste tank than the fresh water tank.

For an auto pump out I have seen my friend use a sump pump and it seemed to work well.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I was looking at a web site tank-depot.com and was thinking about buying a 55 gallon plastic tank. What do you guys think? If I am going to buy a tank, is there a tank that is too small?

I got by with a 55 gallon tank for several years, but on some jobs it will fall short. If you're mainly doing residential and only need to use the tank for the occasional job I'd say it would be fine. Even with my 85 gallon tank on occasion I have to hook up for water. Normally I can do one large job or several smaller jobs and not have to worry about hooking up for water. If the 55 is all you need right now go for it. Lots of guys have used them and still use them. Better to have that than nothing at all.

Pioneer Floorcare LLC

Dec 10, 2013
Palmer, Alaska
Real Name
Scott Turknett
Business Location
United States
my next van will have a small (50 gal or less) waste tank, and I will just use a pump out a lot. a sump pump would make a fine pump out.

DJCarpetService

May 16, 2011
PA
Real Name
Jared Benedict
Business Location
United States
Just find a 55 gallon drum that food or other chems come in... Some people use them for rain barrels.. They are like 10$ on Craigslist or sometimes free