Life is good!
Premium VIP
Jun 18, 2013
Down Yonder
Real Name
Simon Bolivar
Business Location
United States
Okay peeps. Street Outlaws is on. Catch yooz guyz later. Ba bye.
Ha...fan of that show too!

521eb85428973995f58a340f317b1329.jpg

Travis Teague

Oct 5, 2016
Real Name
Travis Teague
Does anyone here ever do free work?

And has that helped you get your name out and phone ringing?

This past year i did 4 free jobs. None were planned by me or solicited by the customer. Each time they did not know they were getting free work...nor did i plan not to charge until yhe work was done and i had listened to their

2 were custys getting ready for family coming over after a funeral. One was for a battered womens shelter/half way house...and this one for a thrifty yet wealthy customer.

The first funeral scenario, the dude cried and could not get the words thank you out of his mouth he was so choked up...i teared up pretty good too. Second funeral the family was in shock and i just felt compelled to do something for them. The womens shellter was just because the whole time i was there i could not stop thinking about my two girls...and finding the men responsible for the residents being there and setting them on fire was not an option at that moment...so indecided to just not charge. The wealthy lady was just a custys neighbor who had a baby chair with water stains cleaned.

My motivation for these free cleanings was not monetary...no one ounce...But the returns have validated my intentions to just do something good.

Only pics i have are of the chair...

e10d9770bcb79753afeef942e93b42eb.jpg

1f4cd5bca32f1cd501a358cdd5d4f908.jpg

Oh yeah...larsox...your mom!
What was the process on this chair? Amazing work.

Reactions: Allied

Allied

Life is good!
Premium VIP
Jun 18, 2013
Down Yonder
Real Name
Simon Bolivar
Business Location
United States

This past year i did 4 free jobs. None were planned by me or solicited by the customer. Each time they did not know they were getting free work...nor did i plan not to charge until yhe work was done and i had listened to their

2 were custys getting ready for family coming over after a funeral. One was for a battered womens shelter/half way house...and this one for a thrifty yet wealthy customer.

The first funeral scenario, the dude cried and could not get the words thank you out of his mouth he was so choked up...i teared up pretty good too. Second funeral the family was in shock and i just felt compelled to do something for them. The womens shellter was just because the whole time i was there i could not stop thinking about my two girls...and finding the men responsible for the residents being there and setting them on fire was not an option at that moment...so indecided to just not charge. The wealthy lady was just a custys neighbor who had a baby chair with water stains cleaned.

My motivation for these free cleanings was not monetary...no one ounce...But the returns have validated my intentions to just do something good.

Mixed 4oz Chemspec cotton cleaner with 16oz water in a foam hand sprayer...sprayed foam all over the piece and scrubbed with hand bonnet. Extracted with SS uph tool. Speed dried with fan. Took 10 mins.

609b7738bae4723a8d0f9ed08089daa7.jpg

Travis Teague

Oct 5, 2016
Real Name
Travis Teague

Mixed 4oz Chemspec cotton cleaner with 16oz water in a foam hand sprayer...sprayed foam all over the piece and scrubbed with hand bonnet. Extracted with SS uph tool. Speed dried with fan. Took 10 mins.

Nice work my friend. I have never tried cotton prespray. I will have to look into that. I usally use matrix fine fabric prespray and a splash of citrus solve.

Allied

Life is good!
Premium VIP
Jun 18, 2013
Down Yonder
Real Name
Simon Bolivar
Business Location
United States

Nice work my friend. I have never tried cotton prespray. I will have to look into that. I usally use matrix fine fabric prespray and a splash of citrus solve.
Thanks...It's my go to chem were water stains and browning is present on upholstery. No matter the fabric. I do find it more effective when foamed unto the fabric and scrubbed with hand bonnet.

manbearpig

Mar 17, 2017
Real Name
Mike Pollock

I’ve done several freebies over the years. They were never planned out, but sometimes I’ve just felt compelled to do it. I remember many years ago, I showed up to a customers home and as I got there family members were all showing up. THis was at about 7:30am. My customer just found out her granddaughter was shot and killed about 5 hours earlier. I tried to tell them to reschedule, it was honestly very uncomfortable being there. They insisted they didn’t want to reschedule. I cleaned the carpet and just quietly stepped out without charging anything. I think they needed to hold on to a bit of normalcy in that moment.
I have also done an emergency spot clean for a brand new customer and never charged many times over the years.
Whether I get more more work from these acts has honesty varied, but I know I’m always willing to go the extra step for someone and that is a core value I take extremely seriously and I believe that comes across loud and clear when I’m selling myself and company to people.
Every so often I feel everyone should do something selfless for someone else. I feel that’s how I’ve been successful over my many years as a carpet guy and as a person.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Sep 4, 2007
Real Name
Robert Allen III 'Tre'
Business Location
United States

Adam Valencia

Dec 23, 2016
Real Name
Adam V.

Adam Valencia

Dec 23, 2016
Real Name
Adam V.
Now thats doing the "great work" right there and when its genuine it can be priceless. I gave a lady a free stairs cleaning for her family. She was embarrassed that her family was coming to visit and the stairway was so heavily soiled. Saw all of the military regalia in her home. Said her husband died and that he was a high ranking officer in the military. Told her the least I could do was take care of her stairs free of charge.

KMS5280

Mar 27, 2013
Castle Pines, Colorado
Real Name
Kirk Standerfer
Business Location
United States
My $500 SS upholstery tool also gets used with an approximate $20 a gallon detergent. I get more questions from clients about that tool than anything. They are floored when I tell them what it cost. They’re equally as floored when I tell them my Evolution wand was $700. I use a Nautilus portable and no one is impressed by the cost of that for some reason (lol) - then the conversation naturally goes to the cost of truckmounts and the last client I was cleaning her dining room chairs for free says to me “you’ll never be able to afford one of those by working for free.” She insisted on paying me for those chairs - she’s a longtime family friend, but how true it is when you consider working for free you’re actually not working for free - you’re paying them to work for them. And that’s ok, too. But it’s not technically free to us...it costs us every time when it’s free to them. I do it too often.

Reactions: Luky

Bill Daviet

May 13, 2006
I have done free items, such as cleaning area rugs at nomcharge during paid wall to wall carpet cleaning, but so far no totally free jobs. Of course I’m only now re engaging in the business after an 11 year gap so my pricing is still under review. Because I am also involved in ministry I am considering allowing a nomination monthly for a customer to receive free carpet cleaning as I suspect many seniors are not only on fixed income but also in poor health. My wife does housecleaning and at times cleans at no charge so doing the carpet at no charge on occasion could be a way to both pay back into the community and gain some positive good will while dovetailing with her efforts to bless someone all around.

But I haven’t thought it through fully, it may be the spring time before I have adequate time to be proactive towards the business. Working to get my home ready for sale and identify the next place to live is my top priority for the next month or two.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
When I have done them I have felt really good. It’s also memorable. I usually don’t forget the job/client interaction. I don’t feel that way about any money job I ever did.

Adam Valencia

Dec 23, 2016
Real Name
Adam V.
My $500 SS upholstery tool also gets used with an approximate $20 a gallon detergent. I get more questions from clients about that tool than anything. They are floored when I tell them what it cost. They’re equally as floored when I tell them my Evolution wand was $700. I use a Nautilus portable and no one is impressed by the cost of that for some reason (lol) - then the conversation naturally goes to the cost of truckmounts and the last client I was cleaning her dining room chairs for free says to me “you’ll never be able to afford one of those by working for free.” She insisted on paying me for those chairs - she’s a longtime family friend, but how true it is when you consider working for free you’re actually not working for free - you’re paying them to work for them. And that’s ok, too. But it’s not technically free to us...it costs us every time when it’s free to them. I do it too often.

And so the saying goes. "No good deed goes unpunished". Someone has to pay.