Premium VIP
Jun 18, 2013
Down Yonder
Real Name
Simon Bolivar
Business Location
United States
Does anyone here ever do free work?

And has that helped you get your name out and phone ringing?

This past year i did 4 free jobs. None were planned by me or solicited by the customer. Each time they did not know they were getting free work...nor did i plan not to charge until yhe work was done and i had listened to their

2 were custys getting ready for family coming over after a funeral. One was for a battered womens shelter/half way house...and this one for a thrifty yet wealthy customer.

The first funeral scenario, the dude cried and could not get the words thank you out of his mouth he was so choked up...i teared up pretty good too. Second funeral the family was in shock and i just felt compelled to do something for them. The womens shellter was just because the whole time i was there i could not stop thinking about my two girls...and finding the men responsible for the residents being there and setting them on fire was not an option at that moment...so indecided to just not charge. The wealthy lady was just a custys neighbor who had a baby chair with water stains cleaned.

My motivation for these free cleanings was not monetary...no one ounce...But the returns have validated my intentions to just do something good.

Only pics i have are of the chair...

Oh yeah...larsox...your mom!

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States

This past year i did 4 free jobs. None were planned by me or solicited by the customer. Each time they did not know they were getting free work...nor did i plan not to charge until yhe work was done and i had listened to their

2 were custys getting ready for family coming over after a funeral. One was for a battered womens shelter/half way house...and this one for a thrifty yet wealthy customer.

The first funeral scenario, the dude cried and could not get the words thank you out of his mouth he was so choked up...i teared up pretty good too. Second funeral the family was in shock and i just felt compelled to do something for them. The womens shellter was just because the whole time i was there i could not stop thinking about my two girls...and finding the men responsible for the residents being there and setting them on fire was not an option at that moment...so indecided to just not charge. The wealthy lady was just a custys neighbor who had a baby chair with water stains cleaned.

My motivation for these free cleanings was not monetary...no one ounce...But the returns have validated my intentions to just do something good.

Awesome ! Very kind of you Bo Diddley from 1313 Mockingbird ln.

Lol ya had to take a shot at the liby

mike$

May 29, 2014
California
Real Name
brandon Dre
Business Location
United States
I do about a free job a month or 2. Last one was in December her dog had just died the week before. Her friend called and wanted to pay for her cleaning. Company covered down.
Oct/Nov we had a older gentleman his wife set the appointment and passed away 2 weeks later. Of course it was free. VFW we do for a very small cost.

We haven't seen a review or return on this for the years we have been doing it.
Its about doing the right thing and putting a smile on face rather than a buck in my pocket on jobs like these.

Reactions: guy873 and Allied

larsox

Nov 20, 2010
CA
Real Name
Larry Ochsner
Business Location
United States

Yeah Boris!

Reactions: Fedri

PATRICK YANELLO

Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States

You just made a kid real happy.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Did free work for schools that my children attended. That did work out well for recommendations and getting further work.

Also did free work when someone just needed it as you described above. I never found those to lead to additional work, but still the right thing to do.

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro

YES! I too have done free work. I have never once planned it when I knocked on the customers door. Something had to move me when I was there. A gut feeling so to speak. It's called....Random Acts Of Kindness.

And I never did it for the chance of repeat business neither. I just did it because I felt the people needed it. And that's good enough for me.

Allied

Life is good!
Premium VIP
Jun 18, 2013
Down Yonder
Real Name
Simon Bolivar
Business Location
United States

YES! I too have done free work. I have never once planned it when I knocked on the customers door. Something had to move me when I was there. A gut feeling so to speak. It's called....Random Acts Of Kindness.

And I never did it for the chance of repeat business neither. I just did it because I felt the people needed it. And that's good enough for me.
Agree...don't do it for the wrong reasons...i did it with no expectations to gain from it...yet the returns have been really cool.

Review from one of the jobs:

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
I do it all the time, this helps me to get the customer to come to me rather than going somewhere else. What I would do is in jobs like carpe or tile grout cleaning the customer would have a small area rug and I would throw that in for FREE over the phone or in email quotation request. Most likely I will get the job. Or I would discount a big area rug or a mattress.

Reactions: Allied

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
I do it all the time, this helps me to get the customer to come to me rather than going somewhere else. What I would do is in jobs like carpe or tile grout cleaning the customer would have a small area rug and I would throw that in for FREE over the phone or in email quotation request. Most likely I will get the job. Or I would discount a big area rug or a mattress.
That's a little different, but still a very nice deed.

Reactions: Allied and Fedri

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
That's a little different, but still a very nice deed.
At the same time this will make them not to ask me any discount, I got this idea from the carpet cleaning company that I use to work for as a sub contractor 4 years ago.

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
At the same time this will make them not to ask me any discount, I got this idea from the carpet cleaning company that I use to work for as a sub contractor 4 years ago.
My advice....If people actually ASK you for a discount....tell them to suck a brick. They're not worth the dirt on your shoes.

Well....Unless they're giving you 30,000 sq, ft. of work. Then they can ask. :p

Reactions: Allied

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
I always thought that the person who gave me a like have changed their mind and deselected it not to show. But I guess not.