Direct Mail EDDM - Free marketing maybe? Just an idea | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Direct Mail EDDM Free marketing maybe? Just an idea

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
So - here is an idea that I am working on that may be of interest. I help my Bro in law with his marketing etc for his landscaping company - website - seo - etc. He has been doing pretty good but wants to kick it up as he is now building outdoor BBQ's and stuff like that. He lives near some pretty high $ areas. Here is what I am doing for him. A large 6x11 full color postcard - 3 ads on both sides. I have attached a pic of a sample. These are really nice - thick stock - glossy. He is going to talk to some other trades that he knows. We are going to try and get a power washer - a lawn sprinkler - painter - driveway guy etc on the card.
If he can get 5 other guys to go on it his ad is free. If he gets 4 then his will be pretty cheap and might be 1 on both sides. One trade that takes up 2 spots would count as 2 ads.
I will offer the same to anybody here if interested. I am going to do the same for my grout cleaning/repair. I have a handyman (he also might get a painter on) - talking with a power washing company as well.
Thought this was a good idea as we all know other small businesses in our circle - wouldn't even have to be trades - could be eateries on 1 side.
Get a hold of me if interested or any questions - or post here if the idea sux!

Attachments

Joey J.

Jun 18, 2008
Fl
My uncle has a pressure washing business and has been doing similar for a while. Also everyone on the card refers people to other people on the card. Almost like a miniature bni thing with the post cards to kick it up a notch. From what he tells me he does very well with it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
I would rather just offer different services for myself.
Thats fine but gets a little pricey - splitting the cost with similar service based biz might keep the card in peoples hands longer was my thought.

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
How will they be distributed?
EDDM would be the best I would think. In the case of my bro in law the area he is hitting is high end. Could be done other ways I guess but seems like the best bet.

Gasoline

EcoTech Carpet Clean: The Green Choice
Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
I like it. Kinda like network marketing directly to the same customer base.

Handy man
Lawn service
Carpet cleaner

Down side, customer has limited cash reserve and can choose only one service. I say go for it.

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
I like it. Kinda like network marketing directly to the same customer base.

Handy man
Lawn service
Carpet cleaner

Down side, customer has limited cash reserve and can choose only one service. I say go for it.
Nice thing is that the way they are laid out any coupons that are put on there can be used. You can clip one and the one on the opposite side will not bee affected.

Reactions: Gasoline

Royal Man

Feb 13, 2010
Lincoln, Nebraska
Real Name
Dave Yoakum
Business Location
United States
You are getting it wrong!!!!! use each other 's lists and turn it into JV with a promotion from each recommended by each list owner. This way you are not mailing cold and your response rate will increase dramatically if done right.

Reactions: barefoot

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
You are getting it wrong!!!!! use each other 's lists and turn it into JV with a promotion from each recommended by each list owner. This way you are not mailing cold and your response rate will increase dramatically if done right.
You could do that as well - what I am talking about is prospecting in areas that you want to get into and get new customers. As far as your idea - would be great. It could be a "we highly recommend" type card. Here is the problem - lots of small biz don't have a customer database. Joe the handyman probably never keeps addresses on his PC or Mac - ask them. I know lots of cleaners who don't either (dumbfounds me when this happens in any biz!).

leanbiz

May 14, 2014
Real Name
Jimmy
I've worked on doing co-op mailings like this before. A couple of thoughts... you might want to test using a single postcard against sending them in an plain old envelope, sort of like Valpak BUT with a big difference I'll explain...

You can stuff a bunch of "buckslips" or flyers in a #10 envelope and get it under the 1oz first class postage limit. So you won't be limited to co-oping with 3 or 4 complimentary businesses that can only fit on a single postcard.

To guarantee people open the envelope, use a plain envelope with just a return address or return address on the back flap. Hand write the persons address or have the printer use a hand-written font or auto-pen. The secrete here is to make it look like a letter you'd send to a friend.

That will at least get the prospect inside the envelope. Then it's up to the strength of the copy, headline and offer to pull them in and respond.

Last edited:

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
I've worked on doing co-op mailings like this before. A couple of thoughts... you might want to test using a single postcard against sending them in an plain old envelope, sort of like Valpak BUT with a big difference I'll explain...

You can stuff a bunch of "buckslips" or flyers in a #10 envelope and get it under the 1oz first class postage limit. So you won't be limited to co-oping with 3 or 4 complimentary businesses that can only fit on a single postcard.

To guarantee people open the envelope, use a plain envelope with just a return address or return address on the back flap. Hand write the persons address or have the printer use a hand-written font or auto-pen. The secrete here is to make it look like a letter you'd send to a friend.

That will at least get the prospect inside the envelope. Then it's up to the strength of the copy, headline and offer to pull them in and respond.
Not using an envelope - I will be using a massive postcard that will stick out for all the other mail pieces - that way even if they are going to throw it out it will still get seen even on the way to the trash!