Flying down to Los Angeles today to buy a WDR franchise | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Flying down to Los Angeles today to buy a WDR franchise

H2odryguy

Oct 20, 2014
Real Name
Kevin Noland
Will is in the same small market as my company. We just came through the worst winter in many decades. We had waiting lists of emergency responses for days. Winters like this will set a company up right, or they will break you. I gave the people an option, call will or wait until we can get to them.. I heard back from many customers.. I'm hoping will is doing ok.

H2odryguy

Oct 20, 2014
Real Name
Kevin Noland
Me too. I like Will. just haven't heard mcc from him since he got into water damage.
I see his rig at the gym near my shop from time to time.

I just got back into CC'ing. I've been water damage and mold only since 2003. I hope we can stay positive and friends. His market share of the work is not any thing I'm targeting.

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
This is one heck of a thread. And I'm a little late. Any update on how things turned out for Will?
I haven't talked to Will in a long time. But I've got a good feeling he got screed over.

Johnny Bravo

Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
If that's the case, it's very unfortunate. But I'd be surprised if it went well. I have "history" with that organization (LinkedIn for more details). Franchise systems are bad enough, but that one takes the cake.
Please do tell or post a link to the Linkden

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
what ever happened to the other guy that bought into more floods? He was on here with 2 box trucks I think his company was called Like New?

he was "picking the low hanging fruit" then just disappeared lol

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
Don't know how well Will is doing with the restoration but his carpet cleaning business is doing good, he's on the fb groups.

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

Jon Grubb

Aug 29, 2017
Idaho Falls, ID
unitedrestorers.com
Real Name
Jonathan Grubb
Business Location
United States
Please do tell or post a link to the Linkden
Long (loooooooong) story short, I was at the corporate office for about 4 years. Left in April 2013 as their VP of Ops. I developed the program that reached out to Will ("...we have leads in your area..."); and, it seems, this is still going strong as several other forum members have said 911 contacts them regularly.

I'm happy to go into more detail over the phone, but, for now, buyer beware should suffice. They are AdWords managers wrapped in orange. As of 2013, there were zero national or regional programs (much, much talk of things just around the corner, but this had been the case since 2006).

But let's look at it this way: Does it make sense to pay ten of thousands of dollars to rebrand and "train"...then pay 10% on your gross (of everything you do, not just restoration)...then pay 100% of your AdWords budget...while contractually obligating yourself to only serve the area you've "bought" and agreeing to a 5-7 year non-compete should things not pan out...just for the color orange?

Granted, things certainly may have changed in the past 4 years, but every other month or so I get a call from a current franchisee looking for a way out. So my gut says little has changed.

Reactions: burbuja2

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
I havent had much interest in the water damage route because in my area its really sowed up by the big franchises... and all the insurance companies pretty much exclusively work with them.

seems very expensive and very hard to break into

Reactions: MikeGaure

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
I havent had much interest in the water damage route because in my area its really sowed up by the big franchises... and all the insurance companies pretty much exclusively work with them.

seems very expensive and very hard to break into
plus i like sleeping at night. just bought part of another business so excited about it

Johnny Bravo

Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
Long (loooooooong) story short, I was at the corporate office for about 4 years. Left in April 2013 as their VP of Ops. I developed the program that reached out to Will ("...we have leads in your area..."); and, it seems, this is still going strong as several other forum members have said 911 contacts them regularly.

I'm happy to go into more detail over the phone, but, for now, buyer beware should suffice. They are AdWords managers wrapped in orange. As of 2013, there were zero national or regional programs (much, much talk of things just around the corner, but this had been the case since 2006).

But let's look at it this way: Does it make sense to pay ten of thousands of dollars to rebrand and "train"...then pay 10% on your gross (of everything you do, not just restoration)...then pay 100% of your AdWords budget...while contractually obligating yourself to only serve the area you've "bought" and agreeing to a 5-7 year non-compete should things not pan out...just for the color orange?

Granted, things certainly may have changed in the past 4 years, but every other month or so I get a call from a current franchisee looking for a way out. So my gut says little has changed.

Their main office in the San Fernando Valley isn't it? I live very near them in Reseda.

Jon Grubb

Aug 29, 2017
Idaho Falls, ID
unitedrestorers.com
Real Name
Jonathan Grubb
Business Location
United States
Their main office in the San Fernando Valley isn't it? I live very near them in Reseda.
Just checked their FB. Shows the same address, but their profile page phone is not of the main office. You can street view their actual address. I'd guess one could describe it as a "humble" corporate office.

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

Jon Grubb

Aug 29, 2017
Idaho Falls, ID
unitedrestorers.com
Real Name
Jonathan Grubb
Business Location
United States
It's Travis btw
Hey Travis! Been a while! Who knows. This peaked my interest because we relocated to Idaho last year (and this particular branch is located about 4 hours away). I'd guess that 911 did to this guy what they do to most franchisees: slowly bleed them. I hope everything went well in this instance, but I can count on no hands how many times that's happened in the past.

What are you up to these days, Travis?